myoozikk

Formula One - 2018 Season

16 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I still cannot believe Vettel binned it. Winning from the front is what he does and he was leading comfortably and it was such a pitiful slow motion crash as well. I still think the title is his to lose but that was a guaranteed win he threw away.

Vettel is great when he is out in front in perfect condition, anything else and not so much.

Not the first time he has binned it in changing conditions.

It's a bit of an obscure regulation which Brundle seemed to think only applied if you cut over it in the other direction (still out on track and cut it to go into the pits). Here's the exact wording:

d) Except in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the
Stewards), the crossing, in any direction, of the line separating
the pit entry and the track by a car entering the pit lane is prohibited.

I assume Ferrari are arguing about the "crossing, in any direction", whilst Mercedes defence would be he wasn't entering the pit lane as he crossed the line, as evidenced by him not ending up in the pit lane; you can't be deemed to have been entering something you didn't actually enter, so the rules about crossing the line don't apply.

46 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

I assume Ferrari are arguing about the "crossing, in any direction", whilst Mercedes defence would be he wasn't entering the pit lane as he crossed the line, as evidenced by him not ending up in the pit lane; you can't be deemed to have been entering something you didn't actually enter, so the rules about crossing the line don't apply.

Nascar solves that one with the commitment cone.

You pass the cone, you're entering the pits.  F1 doesn't appear to have such a thing so you could argue you've not actually entered the pits right up until the speed limit line.

Which does leave that Lewis quite seriously cut that corner, did he gain an advantage? No, it was under SC.

So unless F1 has a rule I don't know of about having committed to the pit lane at some point before the speed limit line, it seems he's in the clear.

They have that cone or bollard you have to go around when you go off certain run-off areas, so maybe they'll add one like Dudley mentions.

Watching the highlights on Channel 4 I'd forgotten Vettel had lost part of his front wing a few laps before he went off. I wonder if that contributed to his crash.

28 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Watching the highlights on Channel 4 I'd forgotten Vettel had lost part of his front wing a few laps before he went off. I wonder if that contributed to his crash.

Let's hope so.

Excellent drive by Hamilton, hope it gives him a bit of a boost, even a podium would have been an excellent drive today.

Edit: also, another shit trophy

I know they somehow managed to make a trophy uglier than those crappy Santander trophies they weee giving out a couple of years ago.

• Upvote 1

I liked the bit after the race, in the area before the podium, where one of the commentators was saying Bottas doesn't look chuffed at having to leave the win to Hamilton, or words to that effect. Bottas looked exactly the same as he always does.

4 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

Vettel is great when he is out in front in perfect condition, anything else and not so much.

Like when he won at Monza and became the youngest ever race winner at the time?

article-1055669-02A6CFDC00000578-944_468

8 minutes ago, morcs said:

Like when he won at Monza and became the youngest ever race winner at the time?

article-1055669-02A6CFDC00000578-944_468

Team had set the car up for the wet unlike everyone else, and had the mighty Heikki Kovalainen behind him. Shame he has been pretty shit in them ever since.

His final lap spin that allowed Button to win in Canada in 2011 is surely the most famous example of him throwing away a win in changeable conditions. 

Hamilton was rather emotional in the interview he did with Channel 4 after the race, his voice cracked a couple of times. Apparently he was booed during the driver parade too, and I know it was Vettels home race, but I don't really think that's on (and I'd say the same if I was aware of it happening to any other driver fwiw)

1 minute ago, ryodi said:

His final lap spin that allowed Button to win in Canada in 2011 is surely the most famous example of him throwing away a win in changeable conditions. 

Think it was also 2011 he lost it and ploughed into the side of Button (at Spa?)

Monza 2008 was a gift from the F1 gods to Giancarlo Minardi, we all know this and there's no point using anything from that weekend to prove anything else that ever happens.

image.png.43eaafa042d0bc075643252bf9582a47.png

So to expand, this is Daytona.  The track continues left of that yellow line.

Before the cone, you can abort, after you're in.  I think the penalty in Nascar would be "Back of the longest line" at a double file restart if under SC (as this was, which would have put Lewis back to the rear of the non-lapped runners) or a stop go in the pits (so presumably 10 seconds in F1).

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, wev said:

Hamilton was rather emotional in the interview he did with Channel 4 after the race, his voice cracked a couple of times. Apparently he was booed during the driver parade too, and I know it was Vettels home race, but I don't really think that's on (and I'd say the same if I was aware of it happening to any other driver fwiw)

The crowd were cheering rather loudly when Vettel binned it... 

FIA really need to clarify some rules and standardise penalties.  Hamilton in the pits / out of the pits move was dangerous and could have ended in disaster. 

His push the car crap on Saturday was perhaps even more dangerous and should have been penalised too. 

At the same time, since they waited until after the race, I'm glad it's just a reprimand. 

7 minutes ago, Freeman said:

The crowd were cheering rather loudly when Vettel binned it... 

FIA really need to clarify some rules and standardise penalties.  Hamilton in the pits / out of the pits move was dangerous and could have ended in disaster. 

His push the car crap on Saturday was perhaps even more dangerous and should have been penalised too. 

At the same time, since they waited until after the race, I'm glad it's just a reprimand. 

Yes, I saw them being rather enthusiastic, different circumstances, Hamilton was just being booed for sitting in a car and waving...

Watching the radio call in time with Hamilton about to enter the pits it's amazing that this wasn't another Mercedes strategy screwup.

I guess that’s what got them off a harsher punishment, cos after he reacted to the “stay out” it would have been dangerous to  try and change course again, as wet grass and sharp turns really don’t mix.

12 hours ago, Dudley said:

Monza 2008 was a gift from the F1 gods to Giancarlo Minardi, we all know this and there's no point using anything from that weekend to prove anything else that ever happens.

image.png.43eaafa042d0bc075643252bf9582a47.png

So to expand, this is Daytona.  The track continues left of that yellow line.

Before the cone, you can abort, after you're in.  I think the penalty in Nascar would be "Back of the longest line" at a double file restart if under SC (as this was, which would have put Lewis back to the rear of the non-lapped runners) or a stop go in the pits (so presumably 10 seconds in F1).

But it's Nascar, you couldn't turn right past that cone if you wanted too....

• Upvote 3

Player			AU  BH  CN  AZ  ES  MC  CA  FR  AT  GB  DE  Total
------			-------------------------------------------------
Jon            		34  15  12  13  20  12  24  30   4  12  19    195
Mexos          		26  28  15  12  15  11  12  27   4  23  14    187
Dudley         		14  14  17  18  20  17  13  22   5  18  19    177
Sidewaysbob    		16   6  12  17  21  16  12  25  12  16  23    176
PK2018         		12  14  20  13  21  10   7  26   6  21  24    174
Bushtopher     		25   5  15  24  12  12  13  20   6  22  19    173
Tarquini       		15   8   6  18  23  10  14  24  10  11  33    172
Myoozikk       		13  10   8  14  21  15   7  21  10  13  33    165
SeanR          		21  15  12   9  20   8  14  19  11  15  20    164