myoozikk

Formula One - 2018 Season

24 minutes ago, SMD said:

Then why sign a new deal? He could've gone to Red Bull or Ferrari

Red Bull is a downgrade and he may not want to ever drive for Ferrari, he lived through the cheating Schumacher years after all - he took a massive gamble on Mercedes (one I backed in this very thread!) and they have massively repaid him by building a team around him that have been incredibly successful, they are a UK based team and I would expect him to see out his F1 days with them.

Just now, Shimmyhill said:

Red Bull is a downgrade and he may not want to ever drive for Ferrari, he lived through the cheating Schumacher years after all - he took a massive gamble on Mercedes (one I backed in this very thread!) and they have massively repaid him by building a team around him that have been incredibly successful, they are a UK based team and I would expect him to see out his F1 days with them.

I don't think RBR is a massive downgrade and Honda seem like they might actually not have been the problem behind McLaren's woes after all so next season might be promising.

No idea what your Ferrari comment is about, every F1 driver seems to covet them in some way and they've come back strongly since ruining Alonso's championship challenge.

Not sure Merc was a massive gamble, he clearly knew when he joined them that they had something special lined up for the hybrid turbo regs and that team was built by Brawn - I honestly think they would've been successful if they'd brought in any other talented driver. Maybe not as dominant but I mean if Rosberg can win a title...

7 minutes ago, SMD said:

I don't think RBR is a massive downgrade and Honda seem like they might actually not have been the problem behind McLaren's woes after all so next season might be promising.

No idea what your Ferrari comment is about, every F1 driver seems to covet them in some way and they've come back strongly since ruining Alonso's championship challenge.

Not sure Merc was a massive gamble, he clearly knew when he joined them that they had something special lined up for the hybrid turbo regs and that team was built by Brawn - I honestly think they would've been successful if they'd brought in any other talented driver. Maybe not as dominant but I mean if Rosberg can win a title...

Red Bull is a huge downgrade, they are desperate getting Ady back and huge gamble on Honda that are still 100hp+ down on Ferrari/Merc.

Plenty of drivers have turned Ferrari down and as a part Italian Fiat owning Italian fanboy I wouldn’t drive for them but would own anyone of their cars, I think there is much more of that for British drivers who often come through British teams who basically want to beat Ferrari above all else - either that or Vettel has an anti Hamilton/Alonso stipulation in his contract!

Merc was one of the biggest gambles ever, far bigger a gamble than Alonso going to McLaren esp for a world champion about to start his prime.

He signed a new contract with Mercedes because, like has been said, the team is built around him (I think he also played a part in Bottas getting a new contract, he's safe and is unlikely to upset the status quo, Ricciardo has shown he wants to compete with his team mate and can better then). There was no chance he'd be going to Ferrari with Vettel already there, neither driver would want to share a team with each other and Ferrari won't break their #1 and #2 driver system and Red Bull have all their stock in Verstappen which is why Ricciardo is looking elsewhere, Max is the golden child, the New Vettel with Daniel being Webber, if he wins that's great but when it comes down to it he won't be allowed to stop Max if they're ever in the position to win championships. That leaves no other conpetetive seats unless Renault pull something off when the regulations change again, McLaren and Williams are pretty much fucked and Force India are always using single ply bog roll. Haas and Sauber are Ferrari b and c, likewise (and much more transparent) Torro Rossi.

My take is Hamilton seems more sensitive to car set up (and how that's working with the track and conditions) than most other drivers. Bottas gets 95% of the maximum possible performance out of the car every week, whether it's all working properly or they just can't get everything right. If Hamilton feels at one with the car he can get 100%, squeezing every single bit of possible performance out if it, pushing harder than anyone else would dare; if all the drivers were in identical Mercedes when everything's dialled in to perfection he'd still wipe the floor with the lot (other than maybe Alonso). But if something's not quite right it knocks his confidence and he'll only get 90% out of it that weekend. He doesn't know how to push almost as hard as he can., if he doesn't feel comfortable giving it absolutely everything he holds back too much. And he's aware he's doing that, but can't still dial into that 95% zone and beats himself up over it instead.

• Upvote 2

Slightly contraversial viewpoint.

Let's stop pretending Williams and McLaren are "big teams" because they used to be good.

Williams haven't won a title in 21 years and have 1 race win in 14 years, that freak Maldonado win.

McLaren haven't won a constructors title in 20 years, a drivers in 10 or a race in 6.  They haven't had a podium in over 4.

When I started watching F1, Lotus and Brabham had both had titles in the last decade.  Within much less than the next decade both were dead.

If either of those 2 don't recover performance really quite soon, they'll be out of F1.  With losing their major sponsor (And Martini lol) at the end of the year Williams are one Russian hedge fund from doom.

• Upvote 1

I don't think anyone's considered them big teams for a while. Historic teams, sure, but not big at all.

2 minutes ago, SMD said:

I don't think anyone's considered them big teams for a while. Historic teams, sure, but not big at all.

Maybe it's British F1 media but I always get the sense they believe McLaren and Williams have some right to be at the front and that F1 depends on it in some fashion.

F1 didn't need Lotus, Brabham or for that matter, BRM and Vanwall, it ultimately doesn't need those two.

Side poll on that topic.

Do you believe Williams and McLaren will be in F1 in 2025 under those names.

Because if pushed, I think Williams at least will not be.