myoozikk

Formula One - 2018 Season

Yep you don't spend THAT much money and offload after 2 years when your strategy is not even full in place yet. Horseshit.

Yeah, it was obvious from the start they can't drive digital revenues properly until they let TV contracts they inherited expire.

They would have known this was a longer term thing.

They published the list of how fast F1 teams actually were last year on Motorsport.com.

Despite changing Renault -> Honda, STR's ultimate speed didn't move.

Despite changing Honda -> Renault, McLaren were half a percent further off the pace in 2018.

If they're lying and there wasn't a fundamental flaw causing that which they've now fixed, they're fucked.

20 hours ago, mexos said:

Chrome orange? Looks nice!

3 seconds off the pace.

Bought some old Arrows chassis? I guess it could be faster than the current steer....any port in a storm.

Quite enjoyed this video of man who literally lives in a shed racing against Verstappen and Norris in iRacing :)

• Upvote 4

Jimmy is a funny one. He's been doing some actual driving of late, nice to see sim skills transfer!

I hope he is insured as plenty of people know about him now and that kit is well expensive.

• Upvote 1

I've always enjoyed saying I once passed V8 Supercars champion Shane Van Gisburgen in a race.

It was in iRacing. It was an endurance race. I was in a higher class.

But that's still not the point! :P

But yeah most of the young guns are sim nuts, not surprising really for a racing nut growing up after force feedback wheels were semi-mainstream.

Yup, let's ignore the fact that there was 5 years between championship #1 and #2 and that going to Mercedes was seen as a massive gamble, but that's Jackie for you, no one could possibly ever accomplish what he and his generation did :rolleyes:

I assume this has been prepped for all last year, including budget. 

A side bet on them for 4th, or even 3rd in the championship depending on how the Honda shakes out, is interesting.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Sauber will now be known as Alfa Romeo. Just the name though. The team remains independent. 

So they'll have nothing to do with the engines or the chassis yet giving the team their name? Isn't that a bit odd for a car manufacturer? 

48 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

So they'll have nothing to do with the engines or the chassis yet giving the team their name? Isn't that a bit odd for a car manufacturer? 

Probably best to think of the car manufacturer being Fiat who want to boost the Alfa brand. Sauber was effectively a Ferrari/Fiat B-team anyway, so re-branding the team as Alfa was the next logical step. They've talked about a technical collaboration between Alfa and Sauber, so I think it is more than just Ferrari parts and a badge.

Doesn't hurt that it's a brand with a long racing history and plenty will be happy to see it back, of a sort at least.

It is a shame to see the Sauber name leave the grid, a name I've grown up with and always had a fondness for, who couldn't like the people behind the C9. Important thing is the factory is still going and hopefully this strengthens their future.

• Upvote 3

Pity Sauber can't turn their attention to something else. To an extent they've always been a B team of some sort, till they sold out to BMW at least.

The grid really would benefit from another engine manufacturer.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/brendon-hartley-formula-1-2019

Hartley comes across really well here, grateful for his chance, suggests he knows he could have done better, but also says what we all know about being at Torro Rossi. He was always a stop gap driver although I think it would have made more sense to keep him on than give Kvyat a third bite at the apple.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, marsh said:

Pity Sauber can't turn their attention to something else. To an extent they've always been a B team of some sort, till they sold out to BMW at least.

The grid really would benefit from another engine manufacturer.

Yeah, they came in essentially as Mercedes' test team, briefly held the Ford works deal but Ford's eyes were already on Jackie, then a loooooong period as Ferrari's B-Team before the BMW merge.

And after that it's just a Ferrari customer.

Like Lando ^_^

I really hope he blows Carlos away. Nothing against Carlos but I’d like Lando to mature into the real deal Ham replacement in 3 or 4 years. 

I think he’ll be fun. Just hope the car can let him settle into it. On reflection I feel sorry for the waffle. I wonder what he would have done with a better car. I bet the gap wouldn’t have been as much.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Baku contract extended to 2023. 

Well done to all involved. I'm sure Baku's new deal will be welcomed by all of us.