VN1X

Bayonetta 1 & 2 - Nintendo's Witch

I've got both of these on WiiU but only ever played B2... I think I'll actually start with B1 as it's cheaper and the port looks fucking astounding.

• Upvote 1

Played a bit of the original on, I think, the 360. Didn't really get into it but then again if it wasn't a Halo or GTA game I never really gave games a chance  (hence the huge amount of unplayed 360 games I still have).

Have ordered this and hope to give it more of a chance this time. 

Punted the Wii U special edition on eBay for £24 and pre-ordered the Switch version for £35 delivered from Tesco (down from £40 with a £5 off voucher).

Having never played the series at all prior to the Wii U release, I only played Bayo 2 to completion, and only got an hour-ish into Bayo 1, so I’m looking at it like I’m getting a fresh shot to play the original in its entirety for like £11, with added Bayo 2 bonus, which I may or may not play through again. Decent.

Guide: Bayonetta 2 - How The Combat Scoring System Works

Dodge offsets

Don't obsess over this in the beginning, but when you feel more comfortable with the combat system and tend to dodge most attacks, you can start incorporating dodge offsets into your retinue.

This basically allows you to dodge an attack without breaking your combo. If done correctly, you can dodge, and then instantly perform the next attack in your combo. It's not actually that hard to pull off either. Simply hold the attack button while dodging, then press the next sequence in the combo as soon as the dodge is over to continue your combo.

Handy write-up on how to keep that score meter going. I believe the quoted bit is new?

The port is pretty much the WiiU versions with a better frame rate, both in docked and undocked mode. Not bad but could have done with some new textures as they are a little on the low res side.

11 hours ago, VN1X said:

Guide: Bayonetta 2 - How The Combat Scoring System Works

Handy write-up on how to keep that score meter going. I believe the quoted bit is new?

What? No, of course it isn't. The first game was built around that feature entirely.

There's also panther offset, crow offset:

Even taunt offset, and I believe weapon-switch offset.

They didn't really go into the finer details of the scoring system, but basically a punch, kick, or special will extend the timer by four seconds, whereas a gunshot (X/Y) will extend by only three (handy for keeping the score going across large physical gaps). You can effectively pause this invisible timer in its tracks by spamming taunt - handy for chaining one wave of enemies into the next if you're having to wait several seconds for the next spawn.

You can master all of this during The Vestibule (first level). It's a really fast level and features all of the necessary hurdles required to master pretty much all of the essentials. Everything else is taught during the Alfheims (hidden challenge rooms peppered throughout the game).

There are four levels of mastery to Bayonetta...

The first is Easy-Automatic where you can just spam/mash through the game to unlock things such as weapons, health/magic expansions, special moves, trinkets, etc. - don't feel bad for doing this because its beneficial in the long-run, upon completion you'll get a cool weapon unlock and then also possess the ability to instantly skip cinematics and cut-scenes on later runs (a GODSEND!! - on the 360 version you hold Dodge and press Back, on Steam it's unlocked from the get-go).

The second is Normal Mode. Here you will face slightly increased difficulty, obviously, but you'll have to get to grips with the punch, kick, and dodge buttons as they will no longer be automatic. You'll be able to sweep up more collectibles you missed during the first run. As for combos I recommend sticking to one push-back (PKP), one launcher (PPKP), and one sweeper (PPPKKK). In proper Kamiya form certain foes have weaknesses against certain combos which will open them up for higher damage and scoring potential, more on that later maybe (but not for Bayo 2, as it doesn't exist - everything simply has a universal weakness to Umbran Climax). You might feel comfortable sticking with the basic weapons loadout for now (Scarborough Fair, the guns) until you feel more boss-like. Try and get to grips with activating Witch Time but don't worry about mastering it yet.... After you've bought all of the special moves Moon of Malaa-Kahaa should be your priority when it comes to saving and spending Halos , this is your parry move item which you should probably have equipped for the duration of Hard Mode...

The third (where I'm at) is Hard Mode. This is where the real game begins. The enemies will attack faster which might seem really hard at the start, but this is actually EASIER for you as you'll be able to react to the enemy attacks on impulse - if you listen they will give out screams followed by weapon noises, if you react to these by tapping dodge (this honestly becomes second-nature after several minutes of practice - turn the music off to hear the audio cues easier whilst you learn) you'll avoid them every single time and activate Witch Time which will get more score rolling in. This part is really important and will open up the game considerably. You'll be able to avoid attacks without even seeing them coming (ie: off-screen or during heavy visual noise) ... It's detailed here:

The fourth is Non-Stop Infinite Climax mode where Witch Time is removed from the game. Apparently you're in a state of zen when finally being able to master this mode. A bit like Neo at the end of the Matrix after he blows up Smith. I wouldn't know.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the scoring system until Hard Mode. You'll kill your normal mode scores within seconds, making any previous exercise in that department a complete waste. By NSIC you'll have transcended the scoring system requirements and you won't even be thinking about them any more.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Fallows said:

What? No, of course it isn't. The first game was built around that feature entirely.

There's also panther offset, crow offset:

Even taunt offset, and I believe weapon-switch offset.

They didn't really go into the finer details of the scoring system, but basically a punch, kick, or special will extend the timer by four seconds, whereas a gunshot (X/Y) will extend by only three (handy for keeping the score going across large physical gaps). You can effectively pause this invisible timer in its tracks by spamming taunt - handy for chaining one wave of enemies into the next if you're having to wait several seconds for the next spawn.

You can master all of this during The Vestibule (first level). It's a really fast level and features all of the necessary hurdles required to master pretty much all of the essentials. Everything else is taught during the Alfheims (hidden challenge rooms peppered throughout the game).

There are four levels of mastery to Bayonetta...

The first is Easy-Automatic where you can just spam/mash through the game to unlock things such as weapons, health/magic expansions, special moves, trinkets, etc. - don't feel bad for doing this because its beneficial in the long-run, upon completion you'll get a cool weapon unlock and then also possess the ability to instantly skip cinematics and cut-scenes on later runs (a GODSEND!! - on the 360 version you hold Dodge and press Back, on Steam it's unlocked from the get-go).

The second is Normal Mode. Here you will face slightly increased difficulty, obviously, but you'll have to get to grips with the punch, kick, and dodge buttons as they will no longer be automatic. You'll be able to sweep up more collectibles you missed during the first run. As for combos I recommend sticking to one push-back (PKP), one launcher (PPKP), and one sweeper (PPPKKK). In proper Kamiya form certain foes have weaknesses against certain combos which will open them up for higher damage and scoring potential, more on that later maybe (but not for Bayo 2, as it doesn't exist - everything simply has a universal weakness to Umbran Climax). You might feel comfortable sticking with the basic weapons loadout for now (Scarborough Fair, the guns) until you feel more boss-like. Try and get to grips with activating Witch Time but don't worry about mastering it yet.... After you've bought all of the special moves Moon of Malaa-Kahaa should be your priority when it comes to saving and spending Halos , this is your parry move item which you should probably have equipped for the duration of Hard Mode...

The third (where I'm at) is Hard Mode. This is where the real game begins. The enemies will attack faster which might seem really hard at the start, but this is actually EASIER for you as you'll be able to react to the enemy attacks on impulse - if you listen they will give out screams followed by weapon noises, if you react to these by tapping dodge (this honestly becomes second-nature after several minutes of practice - turn the music off to hear the audio cues easier whilst you learn) you'll avoid them every single time and activate Witch Time which will get more score rolling in. This part is really important and will open up the game considerably. You'll be able to avoid attacks without even seeing them coming (ie: off-screen or during heavy visual noise) ... It's detailed here:

The fourth is Non-Stop Infinite Climax mode where Witch Time is removed from the game. Apparently you're in a state of zen when finally being able to master this mode. A bit like Neo at the end of the Matrix after he blows up Smith. I wouldn't know.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the scoring system until Hard Mode. You'll kill your normal mode scores within seconds, making any previous exercise in that department a complete waste. By NSIC you'll have transcended the scoring system requirements and you won't even be thinking about them any more.

neildegrasse.jpg

• Upvote 7

What’s the cheapest way of getting these digitally? 

I really want them on Switch, but I really don’t want to pay £65 for them both when I’ve already paid full RRP for the first game twice and the second one once. 

I looked on South Africa and could only see them listed individually, do you get both if you buy Bayonetta 2? Couldn't see anything in the item description for 2, or have I missed a bundle?

3 minutes ago, keineboom said:

I looked on South Africa and could only see them listed individually, do you get both if you buy Bayonetta 2? Couldn't see anything in the item description for 2, or have I missed a bundle?

Buy Bayonetta 2 and a discount is applied to 1 to make it ~£6. 

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

18+ SUfJ52Y.png

One of the few games where the game play itself requires an age rating. It's like gambling mixed with transcendental states of consciousness and cocaine.

6 hours ago, GMass said:

It's not £65 for both is it? 

5 hours ago, Super Craig said:

No. Buy one and the other is discounted.

Yup. I bought the original first for £25, and it then gave me a discount on the second, taking that down from £40 to £25 too.

• Upvote 1

I don't know when I'm going to get time to play these games but someone in the switch megathread told me it was better than a load of other games I've not played. I've ummed and ahhed all week over it. How will I keep it away from my child? How do I explain the ridiculous clothing and sexuality to my wife? Nah, il never get time for this even if everywhere says it's amazing. 

So I've just got up. Checked the Argos website. £40.99 shorter later. Appears I've bought it now. I will pick it up after work.

In stock in argos click and collect for £40.99. Argos is always a good bet for games as the in store copies are only available on the day of release but are put on the website before the store opens and are separate from the preorder for delivery ones. 

So to summarise. I've bought Bayonetta. It's going to be great! 

• Upvote 4

Getting hung up over the sexuality in Bayonetta is like passing on Deathsmiles because the main characters are very young girls.

Once you can skip past the cut scenes its basically an evolution of Capcom Aliens vs. Predator and Viewtiful Joe with a scoring system right out of a Treasure shmup.