POLL: What is the best 3D Legend of Zelda game ever made?

POLL: What is the best 3D Legend of Zelda game ever made?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I feel like I'm cheating with this somewhat as the jump to 3D didn't change as much of the core gameplay of these games as it did with the Mario series, but it's continuing a theme so sue me. Personally I would say Breath of the Wild is the best game ever made, but I wouldn't call it a particularly "Zelda" game, so for me it's not the best of the Legend of Zelda series. For that it's increasingly becoming Skyward Sword for me, DESPITE control issues and despite the frustrating aspects of its design, it's just so bursting with ideas and colour and lovely music and I love swishing the sword around. I guess the real question is: was Skyward Sword the Mario Sunshine of Zelda games?

My head was saying Breath of the Wild but my heart was saying Majora's Mask. Went with Majora. Obviously. 

Let's get the animosity and heated arguments started - all of those games are at least 9's with the exception of Skyward Sword which is a 7.

1 minute ago, clippa said:

It's aaaalways gonna be breath of the wild. Why even bother?

If you'd stuck it in the mario kart poll it'd have fucking won.

Because if you read my post you would see why I've not voted for it and why there are many reasons to vote for other games in the series that are more "traditional".

Hardest fucking question ever asked. I’d love to demonstrate my love for one single title above the others, but I’d feel crushed not to choose any one of the others in its place.

Ocarina, Majora, Wind Waker and BotW are all my best, for what it’s worth. Sometimes for shared reasons, but mostly they all earn the top spot based off their own unique charms.

I can’t decide. I’d put BoTW, OoT and TP on a par. Obviously for different reasons.

BoTW because Nintendo have taken the open world formula and bettered it. It’s also the direction I always wanted Zelda to go in since playing LttP. It does have a few negatives for me because of the lack of a strong, driving narrative, a relatively weak finale and a lack of challenging and varied dungeons, but I think these are things they can work on for the next outing.

OoT just because. It was the game’s transition to 3D and I abolsitely loved it. As groundbreaking for the Zelda series as M64 was for Mario.

Twilight Princess. The best refinement of the OoT style Zelda formula for me. Amazing world. Amazing dungeons. Amazing gadgets. Let down by being a bit empty and segmented.

Next tier down would be MM and WW.

MM because I never really got on with the time mechanic. I’ve tried on numerous occasions, but it’s the only Zelda which I’ve played that I haven’t competed. I never got into the flow of it for some reason.

WW was lovely, and had an amazing art style. Quite obviously unfinished and rushed out of the door though, which led to lots of padding, disappointing dead ends and short dungeons.

Then way down at the bottom is SS. Utterly destroyed by imprecise controls, far too hand-holdy, far too many loading screens, too many repeated sections and trying too hard to give the impression of being an open-ended adventure when it was nothing of the sort. I’d absolutely love them to streamline the shit out of it and rework it for the Switch though, the Wii just couldn’t do it justice. There were some amazing ideas in there, but it’s a shame they were wrapped up in a messy package.

Its my favourite game series, so I can’t decide.

It's still Ocarina of Time for me. I adore Breath of the Wild too. It was a difficult choice. The game isn't really about them to the same degree but the Divine Beasts were pretty weak compared to classics like the Forest Temple and Water Temple from OoT. BotW's fantastic Hyrule Castle did go some way to make amends though. Ocarina had stronger story moments too, with short but concise scenes and a great shift in tone.

I love Majora's Clock Town, finding out new things about each character. I'd have preferred that game if it had no dungeons at all. Plus it had that rubbish Fierce Deity Link.

Twilight Princess is the only one I didn't enjoy.

Sadly, the actual top two 3D Zeldas (Little Big Adventure 2 and Beyond Good and Evil) are inexplicably not in this list, which leaves the decision pretty straight forward: it's Breath of the Wild, aka. The Good One, with Wind Waker coming in after it as the Half-Good One. No other 3D Zeldas need apply.

I do prefer the linear Zeldas and I'm a dungeon man, so Breath of the Wild and Majoras Mask come bottom of the pile. Twilight Princess is my number 2. Pretty sure that Windwaker would have topped Ocarina of Time too had it been finished. 

I think Skyward Sword would be my favourite of those linear 3D Zeldas even without the wonderful waggle. Apart from Wind Waker's world and visuals, I think it bettered or matched the previous games in every area. 

EDIT

Or almost every area

Ocarina > Harp obviously

And Midna just pips Fi 

I picked Majoras Mask. I know BotW is better, when I play that I genuinely think it's the greatest game ever made. But when I stop and think about it...

It's Majoras Mask. To this day, it's still unique on what it does. It's the only Zelda game which is about characters, saving the world is secondary.

OoT was mind blowing back in the day, but I find it hard to go back to. So, even though OoT made the biggest impression on me, I have to say Wind Waker. It's the most magical and timeless of the 3D Zeldas by far. It will always look and feel as charming as the day it was released. You can't say that of any other 3D Zelda.

47 minutes ago, Benny said:

I feel like I'm cheating with this somewhat as the jump to 3D didn't change as much of the core gameplay of these games as it did with the Mario series, but it's continuing a theme so sue me. Personally I would say Breath of the Wild is the best game ever made, but I wouldn't call it a particularly "Zelda" game, so for me it's not the best of the Legend of Zelda series. For that it's increasingly becoming Skyward Sword for me, DESPITE control issues and despite the frustrating aspects of its design, it's just so bursting with ideas and colour and lovely music and I love swishing the sword around. I guess the real question is: was Skyward Sword the Mario Sunshine of Zelda games?

I understand what you're trying to say here - sort of - but this sounds like it doesn't really make sense. How can a first-party, main franchise Zelda game not be a "Zelda game", even if it deviates somewhat from the dungeon format of the previous games? BotW is just the next step in the evolution of the Zelda franchise; it's the best game ever made and it's a Zelda game, so therefore it's the best Zelda game ever made.

Wind Waker is my personal favourite and I've replayed it by far the most times out of any Zelda, but I wouldn't say it's the best game. Breath of the Wild has the potential to be the best, but I think the weak story and the lack of proper dungeons lets it down, so I'd say Ocarina of Time wins.

12 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I understand what you're trying to say here - sort of - but this sounds like it doesn't really make sense. How can a first-party, main franchise Zelda game not be a "Zelda game", even if it deviates somewhat from the dungeon format of the previous games? BotW is just the next step in the evolution of the Zelda franchise; it's the best game ever made and it's a Zelda game, so therefore it's the best Zelda game ever made.

It's not so much I don't consider it a "Zelda" game, but rather the entire structure and scope of BotW is so radically different, and feels like such a huge departure from what they have done before with anything with the Legend of Zelda name attached, that it feels more like the start of something entirely new. So in that sense I feel like there can be a favourite of the "trad" Zelda games, and that BotW represents almost another revolution that could separate it from the others as much as 3D separated Ocarina of time from Link to the Past. (Which I cunningly didn't have to put in the poll.)

44 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Beyond Good and Evil wasn't actually that good.

I didn't even finish the XBLA version of Beyond Good and Evil. Cute world but the meat and potatoes gameplay? Nah. Bad camera, mediocre stealth, rudimentary puzzles, meh. 

Breath of the Wild is easily my least favourite on that list. It's epic, majestic, ambitious, beautiful. It sounds amazing. But fuck me, if it isn't just one of the most infuriating games Nintendo games I have ever played. Absolute boiled my piss at times. Why don't more of you find it annoying?

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

Sadly, the actual top two 3D Zeldas (Little Big Adventure 2 and Beyond Good and Evil) are inexplicably not in this list, which leaves the decision pretty straight forward: it's Breath of the Wild, aka. The Good One, with Wind Waker coming in after it as the Half-Good One. No other 3D Zeldas need apply.

Oh Wiper...

Anyway anyone who didn't vote for Wind Waker is clearly misguided - but much like Mario this is rather akin to being asked to choose between your children (with Skyward Sword being the one you suspect the Milkman might have had a hand in but love anyway)