The Assassination of Gianni Versace - American Crime Story

Couldn't see a topic for this. The first season with O.J. Simpson, is to my mind, some of the best TV I've ever seen, the new season is currently four episodes in and while it's not gripping me in quite the same way, it's still very good. The actor (some dude from Glee, apparently) playing Andrew Cunanan is creepy as hell, Versace is played by Edgar Ramirez, with Ricky Martin as his lover, (yes, really) and Penelope Cruz as his sister, Donatella. There's some great music and beautiful sets which I'm kinda curious how much they had to recreate to make the show. Anyone else watching?

I’m looking forward to this, but with slight trepidation as it’s not written by the same people who wrote the OJ series. That was by the guys who wrote Ed Wood and Big Eyes, whereas this is by Tom Rob Smith, the guy who wrote Child 44 - which wasn’t a bad book, but I haven’t liked anything he’s written since. Still, it’s getting good reviews. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just started watching it on BBC. I remember it happening at the time, but so vaguely that I don't know what's coming next, which is different to The People vs OJ Simpson. 

Interesting first episode. Including the moment where my gf and I both sat up and said "Wait, is that Ricky Martin????"

The fascinating thing about this is his killer. I had literally no idea that:

He was this warped serial killer!

Pretty sure the follow up to the actual murder got completely lost in the news cycle due to Diana's death. Especially in the UK. 

This is really good. When I first heard it was about Versace, I was a bit disappointed for some reason. Now I realise I had no clue what happened, it's really gripping and seems like a genius choice - a famous murder that everyone has heard about, but very few of the details are known. I'm avoiding reading wikipedia and old news articles as I have no idea where this is going.

Really enjoyed the first episode of this. I particularly liked the scene where the killer sees a woman grieving, observes her carefully, and then copies her. He's got his hand over his mouth as if he's in shock and deeply saddened by the news, but his eyes are smiling.

On 08/03/2018 at 13:51, Pob said:

I have the

Reveal hidden contents

Easy Lover pink y-fronts

scene from episode 2 stuck in my head from last night's episode. Chilling.

My wife said episode 2 was like 'Gay: The Musical' from The IT Crowd :lol:

But yeah the duct tape made me feel a bit sick. The whole thing is moving at a fairly glacial pace so far (only seen 1&2) and I am having trouble keeping up with the dates (just say '6 months earlier'!) but it's so different to everything else on TV at the mo, and I'm not too familiar with the story so I'll be watching until the end. 

This is so different to the OJ series. That was a fairly straight but super-compelling procedural drama that took in the media, the judicial process, gender, race and celebrity in LA and America. I'm not sure what this is - it's got this weird, fractured narrative where it's not clear what point on the timeline this is, or even whether what we're seeing is actually happening. Like, that scene in the first episode where the killer goes to the opera with Versace - did that actually happen? It seems so unlikely that it feels more like the killer's fantasy, but then again the whole story is so odd that it strains credibility, despite being true.

They seem to have completely ditched the procedural elements - the police segments are so perfunctory that they seem to be in just to ratchet up the tension. There's no attempt to explore the characters of the police, or unpack the details of the investigation. 

So far anyway, this series appears to be about various aspects of gay life - so the second episode explores what it's like not only to be gay in the post-AIDS era, but what it's like to be HIV positive in the first period when the first really effective treatments came online and it stopped being a death sentence. The third episode is about a closeted man, and his wife who seems to know this deep down but has never acknowledged it. Etc. It's really interesting - I've never watched a series that tackled this kind of subject in such an odd, oblique way. 

The only thing missing so far is that there's been very little discussion of Andrew Cunanan himself, or his motivations. I guess/hope that's coming later, and the actor who plays him is absolutely nailing the performance, but he feels a little bit like a cartoon psycho so far.

5 hours ago, K said:

This is so different to the OJ series. That was a fairly straight but super-compelling procedural drama that took in the media, the judicial process, gender, race and celebrity in LA and America. I'm not sure what this is - it's got this weird, fractured narrative where it's not clear what point on the timeline this is, or even whether what we're seeing is actually happening. Like, that scene in the first episode where the killer goes to the opera with Versace - did that actually happen? It seems so unlikely that it feels more like the killer's fantasy, but then again the whole story is so odd that it strains credibility, despite being true.

They seem to have completely ditched the procedural elements - the police segments are so perfunctory that they seem to be in just to ratchet up the tension. There's no attempt to explore the characters of the police, or unpack the details of the investigation. 

So far anyway, this series appears to be about various aspects of gay life - so the second episode explores what it's like not only to be gay in the post-AIDS era, but what it's like to be HIV positive in the first period when the first really effective treatments came online and it stopped being a death sentence. The third episode is about a closeted man, and his wife who seems to know this deep down but has never acknowledged it. Etc. It's really interesting - I've never watched a series that tackled this kind of subject in such an odd, oblique way. 

The only thing missing so far is that there's been very little discussion of Andrew Cunanan himself, or his motivations. I guess/hope that's coming later, and the actor who plays him is absolutely nailing the performance, but he feels a little bit like a cartoon psycho so far.

Yeah it's hard to know where the focus is going to be, three eps in. I've no idea what happened in real life - whether there was some protracted manhunt or something - but so far it seems to be an examination of a serial killer. Last night's episode in particular threw me as the Versace's weren't in it at all.

Right from the outset it seemed like the interesting aspect to the story is showing what it was like to be gay in that period, and how the victim and perpetrators were treated differently due to their sexuality. I'm interested to hear how gay people feel about the portrayal, especially in light of how homosexuality and transgender was equated with 'twisted pyscho' in 90s films like Basic Instinct and The Silence of the Lambs and the outcry that caused at the time. This seems like an opportunity to right that wrong but so far I'm not sure how flattering or insightful the portrayal of gay men has been!

It's really good though. Ep 3 absolutely flew by, despite not much happening, and the opening was masterfully done in its creepiness.

Loving this show, so well put together. It reminds me of the recent Feud series for some reason, even though there is no connection. I think it’s because they are both so slick.

4 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Loving this show, so well put together. It reminds me of the recent Feud series for some reason, even though there is no connection. I think it’s because they are both so slick.

They're both Ryan Murphy shows.

The latest episode (Creator Destroyer) was amazing - probably my second favourite episode of the series so far (after House by the Lake).

After initial reservations about the backwards timeline, I finally see the point of it.  The viewer goes from completely hating Andrew as a psychopathic killer, to having sympathy for him once you discover his backstory and origins of where that evil came from.

Excited for next week's season finale and how it all ends.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched The House on the Lake ep, man that was a tough watch. Great episode.

Mind you, if you are of the mindset of constantly looking for obvious opportunities to overcome a potential murderer while simultaneously knowing the victim can never escape, it will drive you nuts.

Yeah this is harrowing stuff compared to S1, so much so that my wife has given up on it. I wasn't paying attention to Cunanan's kill-list in the opening episode - surely we've worked our way through most slayings now?