Winter Olympics 2018

Watching the womens freestyle aerials.  Had to feel for the Belorussian.

Spoiler

She was one of the few who landed her jump properly and was early in the running.  And she was terrified that she was going to lose out on gold.  One of those "I wasn't expecting it but now I'm here please don't take it away" type terrors.  And then a Chinese jumper just quite didn't match her and the final Chinese girl didn't land well.  So she just collapsed in tears of relief.

6 hours ago, max renn said:

Curlings ace but how do you get exposure to such an esoteric pastime? The girls that are competing at the moment are younger than I expected. Is it a public school thing?

Lot of opportunities to do curling the further north you go and especially in Scotland, less so down south. I can't think of any southern public rinks that have curling paint on them, just Ice Hockey. 

There is a dedicated curling rink in Kent, but you'd need a group of 8 to really give it a go, so no chance of turning up and giving it a go, which leads to a high barrier of entry. 

7 hours ago, max renn said:

Curlings ace but how do you get exposure to such an esoteric pastime? The girls that are competing at the moment are younger than I expected. Is it a public school thing?

It's quite popular up here in Aberdeen where we even have our own Curling rink. I went along to a "try it out" type session once where I discovered that I most certainly do not have a natural aptitude to it!

5 hours ago, bradigor said:

Lot of opportunities to do curling the further north you go and especially in Scotland, less so down south. I can't think of any southern public rinks that have curling paint on them, just Ice Hockey. 

There is a dedicated curling rink in Kent, but you'd need a group of 8 to really give it a go, so no chance of turning up and giving it a go, which leads to a high barrier of entry. 

There's a rink at the Braehead shopping centre near Glasgow, for one thing. L It even gets televised outside of the Olympics on BBC Scotland occasionally, although late at night usually. I'd say it's a similar sort of popularity to bowls in parts of Scotland. Not a private school thing really, just depends on locality. 

16 minutes ago, deerokus said:

There's a rink at the Braehead shopping centre near Glasgow, for one thing. L It even gets televised outside of the Olympics on BBC Scotland occasionally, although late at night usually. I'd say it's a similar sort of popularity to bowls in parts of Scotland. Not a private school thing really, just depends on locality. 

Yep, I played a bit of bowls years ago and would have loved to do some Curling. I think if you even look at the likes of Hull's rink it has a curling markings. Just none of the the ones down here (Chelmsford, Romford, Invicta, Streatham, Peterborough, etc)