Jump to content

New Star Wars films from game of thrones show runners


Don Rosco
 Share

Recommended Posts

Who wants more Star Wars?

 

 

http://www.slashfilm.com/new-star-wars-movies-game-of-thrones-creators/

 

Quote

J.J. Abrams may be bringing the new sequel trilogy to its conclusion with the upcoming Star Wars: Episode 9, but we’ll be visiting a galaxy far, far away for a long time yet. Disney and Luscasfilm have announced a new series of Star Wars movies from a duo with plenty of experience transporting audiences to bold and fantastical worlds: Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

The news was announced on StarWars.comand details remain scarce. All that we know is that this new series of movies will be separate from both the Skywalker saga and the new trilogy being planned by Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson.

Here is the complete press release:

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.

It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

“In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I don't give a fuck what people think - Star Wars me up, lather it on me. 

You don’t give a fuck what people think so much that you go in every Star Wars thread and repeatedly tell us that you don’t give a fuck what people think!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, JPL said:

You don’t give a fuck what people think so much that you go in every Star Wars thread and repeatedly tell us that you don’t give a fuck what people think!

 

Better that than going into every Star Wars thread and saying how little they’re interested in Star Wars now like so many others seem to manage over and over and over. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fuck yeah. This is really exciting. There's no better show on TV for me than GoT - I can't wait to see what they do with Star Wars. Its such a huge universe, it really is a blank canvass with so many possibilities.

 

This dispels all the talk of Disney reigning in the Star Wars content after TLJ. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JPL said:

You don’t give a fuck what people think so much that you go in every Star Wars thread and repeatedly tell us that you don’t give a fuck what people think!

 

Go away, you unintelligent poster of dross. 

Do you seriously have a problem with me — or anyone else — enjoying something? 

I’d seriously recommend rethinking your perspective and actually finding something you like rather wasting your time coming across as a blithering idiot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent news! Anyone who complains that there are too many Star Wars films probably ought to take a moment to consider that an entire galaxy - even one from a long time ago and far, far, away - should be perfectly capable of fostering five or six hours' worth of quality big-screen entertainment every twelve months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JPL said:

You don’t give a fuck what people think so much that you go in every Star Wars thread and repeatedly tell us that you don’t give a fuck what people think!

 

We've reached peak rllmuk. People are being told to get out of threads for enjoying the subject matter too much.

 

Sir, you are a pioneer of a new era. I salute you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Harsin said:

Unfortunately we've seen what happens when they don’t have source material to copy and are left to their own devices.

 

EDIT: Beaten, like Disney flogging a franchise, by Gerbik.

 

They have an awful lot of old republic material to work from, Darth Bane trilogy of books are awesome. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

 

Go away, you unintelligent poster of dross. 

Do you seriously have a problem with me — or anyone else — enjoying something? 

I’d seriously recommend rethinking your perspective and actually finding something you like rather wasting your time coming across as a blithering idiot. 

:lol::hat:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NickC said:

 

We've reached peak rllmuk. People are being told to get out of threads for enjoying the subject matter too much.

 

Sir, you are a pioneer of a new era. I salute you.

I can’t see anywhere I told him to get out of the thread, so unfortunately I’m not the pioneer you’re looking for. Are you getting me mixed up with someone else?

 

I quite like his blind enthusiasm, to be honest. There’s nothing wrong with loving something that much. He quite clearly gives the most fucks what people think though, you just have to look at his reaction to my earlier post!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well known and incredibly successful show runners meet the most popular and successful science fiction franchise ever. 

 

It's a strange definition of blind enthusiasm. Seems like perfectly reasonable enthusiasm to me.

 

Still, it is enthusiasm, and that's annoying, isn't it? 

 

Must stamp that shit out on the first page.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NickC said:

Well known and incredibly successful show runners meet the most popular and successful science fiction franchise ever. 

 

It's a strange definition of blind enthusiasm. Seems like perfectly reasonable enthusiasm to me.

 

Still, it is enthusiasm, and that's annoying, isn't it? 

 

Must stamp that shit out on the first page.

Nah, I meant his enthusiasm for this new era of Star Wars in general. It’s good.

 

I don’t find it annoying or want to stamp it out. Not sure where you’re getting that from. I was merely, jokingly pointing out that him saying he doesn’t give a fuck is plainly not true, as I’ve read a lot of his posts about Star Wars lately and they’re very enthusiastic, to say the least.

 

Anyway, let’s get back to the announcement eh? This has all gone a bit off topic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When it comes to Star Wars, Kevvy is the literal definition of a fan.

 

Personally, I’m a bit meh on this announcement. S7 of Thrones was weak at times. Largely due to these dudes writing much of it without a novel to adapt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

 

Quote

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

 

I'm sure G.R.R.M would be happy reading that. 

 

I feel like they hired the wrong people (person). If they want GoT quality writing, they should hire G.R.R.M, not the people that adapted his work and then dropped the ball massively when they had to start writing their own stuff.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Nah, I meant his enthusiasm for this new era of Star Wars in general. It’s good.

 

I don’t find it annoying or want to stamp it out. Not sure where you’re getting that from. I was merely, jokingly pointing out that him saying he doesn’t give a fuck is plainly not true, as I’ve read a lot of his posts about Star Wars lately and they’re very enthusiastic, to say the least.

 

Anyway, let’s get back to the announcement eh? This has all gone a bit off topic.

 

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

When it comes to Star Wars, Kevvy is the literal definition of a fan.

 

Personally, I’m a bit meh on this announcement. S7 of Thrones was weak at times. Largely due to these dudes writing much of it without a novel to adapt.

 

Yes, I am literally a fan. I go to each of the Star Wars film openings at midnight then watch them several times in the cinema. I've been to Star Wars Celebration, queuing at 4 a.m. to get entry to the panels. I have Star Wars pajamas that I wear most days. 

 

The "I don't give a fuck what people think" comment is not some sort of denial, I mean "Fuck the haters" who will immediately come out of the  woodwork when anything Star Wars related is mentioned. It's almost a battle against negativity, when this Star Wars rejuvenation has yielded almost objectively great results so far. 

 

This doesn't mean I'm blinkered in anyway. I was there. July 1999, in the cinema, absolutely horrified at what was unfolding in front of me. 

This refocus on the swashbuckling fun of Star Wars almost feels like redemption for suffering through the prequels. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

 

 

Yes, I am literally a fan. I go to each of the Star Wars film openings at midnight then watch them several times in the cinema. I've been to Star Wars Celebration, queuing at 4 a.m. to get entry to the panels. I have Star Wars pajamas that I wear most days. 

 

The "I don't give a fuck what people think" comment is not some sort of denial, I mean "Fuck the haters" who will immediately come out of the  woodwork when anything Star Wars related is mentioned. It's almost a battle against negativity, when this Star Wars rejuvenation has yielded almost objectively great results so far. 

 

This doesn't mean I'm blinkered in anyway. I was there. July 1999, in the cinema, absolutely horrified at what was unfolding in front of me. 

This refocus on the swashbuckling fun of Star Wars almost feels like redemption for suffering through the prequels. 

 

See what I mean? You'd have to be blinkered to not see that The Last Jedi is getting a lot of criticism alongside the praise. Not just from the man-babies, but also from a lot of people who have very good, intelligent reasons why they think it's a bit of a mess. If you can't see that it's not to everyone's satisfaction, and that those people aren't objectively wrong, then you are in some sort of denial.

 

It's cool though. I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's just a shame that not all of us are as enthusiastic as you. I'm not a 'hater' in any sense of the word, in fact I love Star Wars. It's just that I haven't been overly keen on the latest 3 films we've had, for numerous reason I've spoken about in the past, and that worries me that Disney haven't yet got a handle on what makes Star Wars tick - for me, at least.

 

Anyway, I apologise for making a flippant joke and it's ended up as this! Get back to telling everyone how much you don't give a fuck what people think, it's miles more fun!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.