Harsin

Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition

So this is kind of bonkers. On Friday, Square-Enix are releasing a full remake of Final Fantasy XV for smartphones/tablets.

Final-Fantasy-XV-Pocket-Gametyrant.jpg

pocket-edition-screenshot-5.jpg

pocket-edition-screenshot-12.jpg

The good news is that it doesn’t look like F2P clagware. They’re going for an episodic release model. First chapter (of 10) is free, the rest you pay for.

I’ll be giving the first chapter a try for novelty’s sake if nothing else. I liked FFXV well enough, but kind of wish they’d picked on if the others to give this treatment to.

I finished FFXV on PS3 at the end of last year and, despite the level of criticism levelled at it, really enjoyed it and liked the bond that grew amongst the main four guys, although having all of the team available from the very start was rather odd.

I've justed played Chapter 1 of this, took about 2 hours I'd say and takes you upto

the false reports around Noctis and Lunafreya being reported after Insomnia is invaded

What I do like about it is that FFXVs battle system has been well translated to tap controls, and although I've not had the need to change weapon mid battle just yet the option is there to do so as are warp strikes although I'm yet to be able to use magic and can't see anywhere for it on the menus so far. There's a sizable amount of the script transferring over and you still get the banter between the guys as you battle which adds an air of authenticity to it, however the fact Stand By Me is missing from the opening is really jarring and makes that part having a slightly different tone to it.

I've found this to be super glitchy so far. I've had numerous crashes after loading screens and during and after battles. After the latest crash (during battle), the game just couldn't seem to load my save anymore. I reinstalled the game to see if that would help, and yep, my save file was gone. Don't forget to back up to the cloud manually, kids!

Pricings odd on it btw.

Chapter 1 is free

Chapter 2 and 3 are 99p each and the rest are £3.99 (there's 10 chapters).

Full game is £19.99

That's all fine.

However if you want Chapters 4-10 in a bundle (having presumably paid 99p each for 2 and 3) it's still £20 or if you want 7-10 it's £11.99

Sorry for calling it a ‘full remake’ in the OP they’ve cut out more than the previews made it sound like. It’s basically the main story quests strung together with some small hubs between them.

I actually think this is a good preview of what you can expect from the FFVII remake (except with higher production values obviously).

I'm attempting to play this on an ipad.

'Attempting' being the optimal word... I cannot get past the initial loading screen. Is this a known issue?

I've re-installed and rebooted the iPad and to no affect.

Edit: Needed to update iOS

So I ponied up for the whole thing. Whilst it's massively stripped down compared to the original, it's not a bad way to experience FFXV's story if that's what you want. In fact in some ways I'd say it improves that aspect of it. I've always thought that FFXV had a decent story, but badly told (compared to FFXIII which had a bad story, badly told). Whilst it can't fix some of the fundamental problems (large swatches of stuff left to other media, stuff clunkily removed to be told in DLC) I think even FFXV's biggest fans would admit that it's horrendously paced. In this the story moves at a fair clip throughout and you don't have that lurch going from pootling about aimlessly for hours and hours and then the story suddenly going into lightspeed unexpectedly. 

I honestly wouldn't mind them seeing them give this treatment to some of their other properties. I wouldn't mind going through previous entries where I've forgotten much of what happened, such as FFVIII or X again, but I haven't got the stomach to devote 80-100 hours to them.

On 12/02/2018 at 10:10, Stanley said:

The Switch version of what?

Of Final Fantasy XV - Pocket edition I suppose  ;)

No really; the new aesthetic has made me want to play this now, after I initially gave it a miss based on the emo/goth look of the original.

Oh, and I suppose this will be downlaod only? Wouldn't mind a physical release tbh.

On 28/09/2018 at 07:07, Alex W. said:

Trying and failing to understand why there are PS4 and Xbox One versions of this.

Maybe they have finally sorted out the plot & the ending?

• Upvote 2

This is a miracle. They have found a way to make an utter dog shit came even more dog shit! If you ever listen to any post of mine, don’t buy this. Ff15 is the pappest ‘game’ ever 

• Downvote 1