rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Ketchup

Lttp: Zelda: A link to the past

Yep I'm very late to this party. I grew up owning a mega drive, never really caring for the Super Nintendo and had little idea about Zelda. My first Zelda was Ocarina of Time which I wasn't even sure I'd like but the hype from N64 magazine convinced me I needed to buy it as an N64 owner. I'm glad they did.

Whilst I've played other zeldas since then I've not touched a link to the past, instead waiting till I had a snes or a snes mini to play it on, which is how I've been playing the last few days.

Firstly, rewind is a god send for this game. Whilst it's not too tough there is some unfairness in the collision detection and random surprises that may kill you with no warning they are there (eg. Bats appearing out of a bombed wall that only happens once). Certainly saves on lots and lots of back tracking to get back to where I was.

The game surprisingly grabbed me very quickly. Being a game nearly 30 years old I thought it'd be a bit of a slog either being too basic or just not that exciting and truth be told it is both of those (compared to modern games) yet it still grabbed me and kept me playing for hours at a time.

I've currently only got Zelda to rescue and Ganon to destroy and it really feels liked I've rushed through this far in a couple of days. Dungeons are quite easy, in fact the whole game feels quite linear which in this case hasn't dampened my enjoyment. Whilst puzzles are quite clever, the later games certainly prepared me for them and due to the dungeon layouts each room is a puzzle rather than requiring you to constantly go across dungeons to change things.

The difficulty I can see in the game though comes from the complete lack of any guidance. Don't know what to do next? Tough, guess. There's no villagers to talk to, no hints from a fairy and even side quests are oddly lacking. The world is big yet feels small and underused at times and often empty save for enemies. It is a little refreshing in all honesty Not having a million markers on the map or things to do and collect.

I can only imagine the frustration of playing this in 92 without a guide. I've only used a guide when I've really been stuck in a dungeon and found it was my fault for overlooking something obvious. Thankfully the over world stuff I've needed I've found randomly and basically known what to do to get it, again thanks to the later games.

The music is oddly nostalgic despite never playing the game and I really can see how Ocarina of time is almost just a 3D remake of this. It shares so many similarities and design ideas whilst evolving it to the next level.

If there's two things I'm slightly down on it's the lack of rain and atmosphere from the start of the game, I can't remember any megadrive games looking or feeling quite like that and the dark world.

In my head is heard of the dark world system and imagined it to be well, dark! I either expected a different world entirely or for it to be horrible and moody and filled with evil instead of somewhere that's having a bit of a draught. It's clever don't get me wrong, I guess I was just expecting something like Ocarina of times oppressive world as adult link.

But so far I've really enjoyed it, it's been refreshing to play something not filled with bloat, with boring cutscenes and to just let the world fill in the details. I can only imagine what it was like to play at the time. Has it aged? Yes and no. I don't think you could play it now and say it's an instant classic that is up there with breath of the wild but that doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable to play and a great game, it is just s product of its time. Now on to rescue Zelda.

• Upvote 6

I was 13 when I dropped £39.99 on this in whsmiths. 

played it through with no guide, getting all 20 hearts. Took me three glorious months. Recently did a play through oj the vita. Still got it. 

• Upvote 1

I finished it via the Snes Mini too, and enjoyed it - I 100% agree with the comments regarding the lack of guidance. I guess I've been spoilt by modern gaming and forgotten just how ruthless old games could be. Without the internet to help me in certain places I'd have probably given up part way through.

• Upvote 2

I've started playing this on Switch this week, which is the first time I've ever played it, and despite only being up to the second dungeon, some of the solutions are way too obtuse. Some dude told me to go East of Lake Hylia to find an item, so I find a cave, go in, and get blocked off... ok? Look at a guide to see what I should be doing, and I'm supposed to have got a book from the other side of the map by knocking it off a shelf, despite there being no indication that I'd need a book, nor that my newly gained power will knock books off shelves.

Then I got stuck again in the second dungeon, so I looked at a guide again, to see that I'm supposed to push a block out of the way, despite the fact that I've tried loads of times to push these blocks out of the way and it's not worked. How the fuck is anyone supposed to figure out that this particular block is different to all the other ones that look exactly the same? I know it's supposed to be an all time great, but so far I'm deeply unimpressed. 

• Upvote 1

On 04/02/2018 at 12:46, Ketchup said:

The difficulty I can see in the game though comes from the complete lack of any guidance. Don't know what to do next? Tough, guess. There's no villagers to talk to, no hints from a fairy and even side quests are oddly lacking. The world is big yet feels small and underused at times and often empty save for enemies. It is a little refreshing in all honesty Not having a million markers on the map or things to do and collect.

I can only imagine the frustration of playing this in 92 without a guide. I've only used a guide when I've really been stuck in a dungeon and found it was my fault for overlooking something obvious. Thankfully the over world stuff I've needed I've found randomly and basically known what to do to get it, again thanks to the later games.

LTTP came with a special hint guide but I'm not sure what was in it. It wasn't part of the manual but it it was folded up and sealed so you only saw clues if you really wanted to.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Keiths_Dad said:

I've started playing this on Switch this week, which is the first time I've ever played it, and despite only being up to the second dungeon, some of the solutions are way too obtuse. Some dude told me to go East of Lake Hylia to find an item, so I find a cave, go in, and get blocked off... ok? Look at a guide to see what I should be doing, and I'm supposed to have got a book from the other side of the map by knocking it off a shelf, despite there being no indication that I'd need a book, nor that my newly gained power will knock books off shelves.

This is what games were like back then, you are meant to explore the areas and poke your sword about.  Was standard stuff, Links Awakening had you digging up an entire island with the shovel for randomly placed shells.

• Upvote 2

I reckon I’ve completed this about 20 times. Whenever I have a ‘quick go’ of it, I invariably end up completing it. Again. Same with links awakening on the gameboy. I should play other games but they are so fucking addictive! 

4 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

Then I got stuck again in the second dungeon, so I looked at a guide again, to see that I'm supposed to push a block out of the way, despite the fact that I've tried loads of times to push these blocks out of the way and it's not worked. How the fuck is anyone supposed to figure out that this particular block is different to all the other ones that look exactly the same? I know it's supposed to be an all time great, but so far I'm deeply unimpressed. 

Your first main task is to get the 3 pendants. You get their locations. 

If you’d gone to the location of the 2nd dungeon you’d have seen that there was statue blocking your path and when you read the inscription, you can’t understand it. If you explore you find a man that tells you, you need to find the book of Mudora in the house of books, ie the library. 

You use the Pegasus shoes to catch the guy in the village and he tells you about running into trees to find things.

It doesn’t give you things on a plate, it wants you to explore and figure things out. 
Don’t be in a rush to the next location just enjoy the world and try things out.

• Upvote 5

Totally agree!

Get annoyed and confused. Walk away and do something else whilst thinking about the game and enjoy that ‘eureka!’ moment when it hits. 

Playing this game with a FAQ is the worst idea ever. What makes these games so special are those walls that you encounter and finally breaking through them. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

Your first main task is to get the 3 pendants. You get their locations. 

If you’d gone to the location of the 2nd dungeon you’d have seen that there was statue blocking your path and when you read the inscription, you can’t understand it. If you explore you find a man that tells you, you need to find the book of Mudora in the house of books, ie the library. 

You use the Pegasus shoes to catch the guy in the village and he tells you about running into trees to find things.

It doesn’t give you things on a plate, it wants you to explore and figure things out. 
Don’t be in a rush to the next location just enjoy the world and try things out.

That sounds a bit more promising in that the solution is actually in the game, at least. Having to randomly push blocks and walls in the hope that one of them will move is completely unintuitive, though. Having looked it up, I was struck by how stupid the solution was rather than how stupid I was, which isn't the case for most games that I resort to looking something up for.

I'll persevere for a bit.

I got this when I upgraded to a GBA SP and was utterly besotted with it. It's a terrific handheld RPG and just extremely charming, full of little secrets and things you mess about with. The music is some of my all-time favourite game audio. No rose tinted specs, I'd never played it on the SNES but like Yoshi's Island it has a special place in my memory for the time I spent with the portable version.

11 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

I remember getting stuck in exactly the same place when I played the game on GBA. Didn't realise that the book on top of the shelf was a separate sprite that I should be aiming to acquire, and not just part of the scenery. And like you I spent an embarrassingly long time trying to work out what I was meant to do in that cave by the lake.

Still, as @Goemon says, there are some clues to the book in the game. Which at least makes it fairer than being expected to randomly stumble upon Ruta's message in a bottle in Lake Hylia in Ocarina of Time... :hmm:

8 hours ago, Nick R said:

Still, as @Goemon says, there are some clues to the book in the game. Which at least makes it fairer than being expected to randomly stumble upon Ruta's message in a bottle in Lake Hylia in Ocarina of Time... :hmm:

I remember doing really well with Ocarina until i hit that damn water temple. Then gave up completely and bought a mag guide with pictures :lol:

10 hours ago, Nick R said:

I remember getting stuck in exactly the same place when I played the game on GBA. Didn't realise that the book on top of the shelf was a separate sprite that I should be aiming to acquire, and not just part of the scenery. And like you I spent an embarrassingly long time trying to work out what I was meant to do in that cave by the lake.

they should have made that book sprite much more obvious. like moving or sparkling!

23 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

How the fuck is anyone supposed to figure out that this particular block is different to all the other ones that look exactly the same?

Opportunism and bragging rights. Players hit every single wall in Link's Awakening with their sword, to find uber-secret areas that were totally special and just for them... kind of like Ramona Flower's soul?

16 hours ago, Alex W. said:

The music is some of my all-time favourite game audio.

Enjoy. (this performance is by the famous band Faceless, lead by frontman Faceless1 and their troubled friends Faceless2 and Faceless3. Faceless4 finally managed to rejoin the band after the scandal of the stolen fizzy cola bottles was resolved. the entire middle east and most of romania came to a standstill for several months, but thankfully society can resume as normal).

I played this last year for the first time since I got to experience it back in the mid 90's on my SNES Mini and thought it was excellent. I'd forgotten most of the puzzles and things but managed to get through it all OK although there were a few times that required a bit of exploration to figure out how to get something. What I liked though is that the world size felt about right to encourage doing this sort of thing without being too large (such as a Fallout map or something like that). I got everything in it bar about 3 quarter hearts, one of which is in that cave in the top left corner of the map just outside the forest. No idea where there other two were, but generally throughout the game there are loads of things to find. I liked the quirky little moments here and there which gave it charm and that's what makes it that extra bit special.

@centurion When it comes to Dark World Theme covers, I prefer this one:

Spoiler

You will now hear those lyrics every time you play the game for the rest of your life. :twisted:

• Upvote 2

I've played a bit more now, and I'm enjoying it a lot more. I've 

Spoiler

Beaten the wizard, and gone to the dark world

but before that I did some exploring and got a few good items. I don't know if it will hold my attention to the end, but I'm definitely much more appreciative of it.