rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Sartre84

Counterpart (TV Show)

Sci fi espionage drama starring JK Simmons ( Whiplash, Juno, Justice League) 

A low level employee at a highly secretive organization learns of the existence of a parallel reality when his counterpart from the alternate world defects to his.

• Upvote 1

I've watched the first two episodes of this and its pretty good. It feels like part sci fi, part spy thriller and part character study. JK Simmons does a good job of playing two quite different versions of the same man who's fates diverged from each other some thirty years previously. Also starring Stephen Rea ( The Crying Game, The Shadow Line) .

Caught the third episode of this last night and its going from strength to strength. An intelligent sci fi show akin to Dark. The back story is being revealed very slowly but without giving too much away the show is about a kind of Cold War going on between the two alternate realities. 

The first two episodes concentrated more on character building and the differences between different versions of a couple of the main characters. The third episode begins to deal with the differences between the two worlds themselves. Great show! 

• Empathy 1

Well this is certainly an odd one, isn't it.

No clue as to why, where or how the alternate reality came about & no idea as to where the story is going or why there is such hostility between the two sides. I hope it's not one of those shows where the writer(s) have no long term plan, other than securing a season renewal.

That being said, after watching the trashy and oh so dumb ST Discovery, some slow, intelligent Sci-Fi drama is just what the doctor ordered, so I'll stick with it :)

On 2/3/2018 at 13:13, Sartre84 said:

Sci fi espionage drama starring JK Simmons ( Whiplash, Juno, Justice League) 

No mention of SPIDER-MAN?!

1 hour ago, MpM said:

No clue as to why, where or how the alternate reality came about & no idea as to where the story is going or why there is such hostility between the two sides. I hope it's not one of those shows where the writer(s) have no long term plan, other than securing a season renewal.

The writers have said they have a very detailed show bible.

1 minute ago, multiclunk said:

I like the sound of this, where/how can I watch? Is it available legitimately in the UK?

Thanks

It's on Starz in the US, and does not (yet?) have a UK broadcaster.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sartre84 said:

Oh yeah! I totally forgot about Spiderman!!!! He was the shrink in Law And Order too!

and utterly no mention about 'Oz' ?! oh my god :-)

______

i'm loving the show at the moment, knew nothing about until i saw the trailer, then the pilot late last year.

i like the way i'm still interested even 4 episodes in of 10 still not knowing much of anything really, but, i hope we are not going to get half a massive reveal at the end and then have to wait til season 2 [if it comes along] for the other half.

of course if this is done well its not a problem, and the potential possibilities for a show like this are massive. just hope it doesn't loose its way

i have to say that the trailer is one of the best ive seen in quite a while, although if you watch it after seeing the show i'll know who the mole is [i'm pretty sure] :-)

oh, and plus Baldwin is HOT!

• Upvote 1

Episode 5 is another strong one. I thought the ending was quite touching. It really is a show that works on two completely different levels, as a spy thriller and a character driven drama. 

This is getting better, much better....I'm in for the long haul with this one.

BBC4 should pick this up for broadcast, they won't of course...but they should.

Episode 8 was another strong episode with some great acting. Things are really heating up now.

This show really is a bit like The Americans with a sci fi twist.

Hopefully it' ll get a good platform when it comes to UK. I'm certain Netflix or Amazon will pick it up at some point anyway!

Started watching this yesterday and it's really good! It's a bit on the nose with it's Berlin metaphor/ setting and I can't help but feel the difference between the two Silk's is like Rimmer and Ace Rimmer which is mildly distracting. Also I'm not sure why Berlin seems to be almost entirely populated by people from England and the US, and Banshee's Ulrich Tomsen seems to have been partially assimilated into Hugh Dennis.

Strange observations aside, this needs more love as it's excellent.

I’ve been watching this on a three month free trial to Starz Player or whatever it’s called on Amazon Prime Video. Really great so far, four episodes in. A really intelligent thriller, my head has been spinning several times.

This deserves a bigger audience, it is utterly enthralling. This week’s episode on the origins of the crossing was just brilliant. Can’t recommend this show enough.