rllmuk
SMD

Mario Kart Tour - out now for mobile, if you really must

17 hours ago, Nifta said:

I've given up on 'waiting to buy with gold'. During the whole 2 weeks of the Paris tour only one new item showed in the store for me and that was one of the purple/premium items at 12,000 coins.

Screw that :D

I'm starting to drift away from this game now sadly :/

Nice pun.

Started the new tour last night. 

I'm starting to have some issues with the game.

Tracks - not enough new tracks are being added. It seems to be about 1-3 new tracks added each tour at most now and the rest are repeats. It's starting to get boring playing the same tracks over and over again. This tour has only ONE new track.

Week 2 - After the first week, it's kinda boring. The first week is about getting all the cups done (it doesn't take that long) and the second just seems to be trying to finish the challenges and try to collect as many stars as you can for the rest of the tickets. It's a different experience to week 1.

The shop - nothing really interesting ever shows up in here especially if you already have most characters. I have yet to feel the need to spend 10K on anything yet. Sitting on 20K coins at the moment and waiting for a character that actually is worth buying.

The pipe - again, once you have most of the characters or parts , the chances of getting anything new is slim to none. Sure, repeats are good to level up your character but i'd prefer the tickets just do that. Again, i'd be pretty displeased if i was actually paying real money for this stuff but then again the game probably rewards players actually purchasing rubys rather than from gaining in game.

Character Variations - do we REALLY need 5 different Marios, 5 different Peaches, Shy Guy recolours etc etc. It's boring. Give us new characters.

Items - You would also think Xmas Mario would have say, a ice item (featured in some of the Mario games). But no, he has fire. Again.

Whatever the case, i'm still playing but looking forward to multiplayer and be nice if they added some extra stuff like time trial modes to keep people interested.

• Upvote 3

What's the deal with the steer button? Is it just the same as regular steering except you get the arrow? It's not where I normally put my thumb, so I find it weirdly hard to get a handle on what it actually does.

24 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

What's the deal with the steer button? Is it just the same as regular steering except you get the arrow? It's not where I normally put my thumb, so I find it weirdly hard to get a handle on what it actually does.

I think it's supposed to help when you get a frenzy but i haven't really found it does help.

3 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

3 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

I think it's supposed to help when you get a frenzy but i haven't really found it does help.

It comes into it's own on box breaking missions and I've also found it useful for hitting speed pads I'd normally drift past like a cack handed chimp.

I started playing this about three weeks ago, and on the 12th of this month I activated the Gold Membership. I won my first weekly cup and everything was fun and dandy. The 2nd week was shit due to me not having a lot of drivers or karts but for this week it seems I could win again. At least I thought so. The thing is, last night I decided that the gold membership doesn’t add a lot of extra value to the game, so I cancelled the membership, thus ending my 14 day free trial period. 

Immediately after I’d done this, all my «luck» disappeared as well. Prior to the cancellation I used to get at least one frenzy on each race, but now I’ve done twenty (ish) races and haven’t seen a single frenzy. Wtf? 
I really hope this is just due to utter bad luck and not in any way tied to the fact I decided againsy paying for a month.

Ive had some incredible luck with frenzies while moving up from the bottom of the leaderboards sometimes. The next day, same tracks, no frenzies.

On 24/11/2019 at 10:09, Fuddle said:

Daisy and bowser are in my shop today, was thinking about buying both, but spent my gems instead as I got loads still.

36C8B3CB-08CC-4288-9960-4E67B9E1B33E.thumb.png.c471e9a34491eeb58bfe0b05a4e368e9.png

Im not too hung up on the spotlight characters since usually there is a Super level character that can replace them. But the gliders are pretty rare, and the Gold glider is really nice. I bought mine from the store and upgraded it to lvl3. Also got the Swooper from the store, but thats it as far as High End gliders go.

Finally making it to rank 20 tomorrow, thought Id be stuck at 19 with these scores

IMG_1047.thumb.jpg.47c981f517a7a0cb711bfb5a4a28e888.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yeah I've just moved up to 16 after utterly failing to get higher than 4th in 14.

There's something about this game that makes me think it's got the most aggressively curated 'RNG' of any game I've ever played. I've not had anything that I don't already own on my shop since I last listed about it a week ago. I'm near a ten pull and I fully expect it to change after. I also expect the ten pull to give me one rainbow or gold item I don't have and the rest be dupes.

The frenzy thing is bullshit as well, like Orbital says.

If I'm honest I've no idea why I'm still playing aside from to be able to go "Hah! See! It IS a fucking cheating sack of shit!" Like some half arsed sleuth that only finds out the butler did it once he's in handcuffs and being carted off in the paddy wagon.

• Upvote 2

It seems to me that the points you accumulate during a single race are a bit random. They probably are not, but when I get the feeling they are it's hard to get a proper feeling of achievement whenever I get a good score. Since yesterday I've tried to get a better score on DK Pass in this weeks cup. I've used the same driver, kart and glider every single time and usually I've finished with 9000-10500 points, regardless of getting one or more frenzies. Last night I managed to get a 50+ combo two times and a total of two frenzies but still not more than just over 10k points. This morning I had one frenzy and never got over a 40 combo chain, yet I accumulated 12500+ points. It's stuff like this that makes it hard for me to appreciate the scoring system because I never know if I have a good run before I cross the finish line. 

• Upvote 1

I think that this is an OK game, perfectly playable for free and I had some fun with it. But now I have subbed to Apple Arcade and have a ton of other choices, I'm deleted this and won't be going back. I only really play mobile games on the train and for the odd 5 minutes here and there but the Arcade stuff has made me realise just how shitty the in app purchase system is in games, along with adverts. Just not having purchases rammed in your face every time you play makes the whole mobile gaming thing much more appealing to me.

It's a real shame that Mario Run didn't do as well as they hoped so they chose this route, I happily paid my money for that and felt it was worth it, but I'm done with this freemium nonsense now. But it's just another instance of this old man shouting at the sky again......

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record (too late) there's too much fuckery going on. I can't get over about 6900 because of a number of factors. I had a quick Google on how to get a decent score on it and the Reddit thread it pointed me to basically said "combos and levelled characters". 

I'm struggling with combos due to be useless and other drivers just being faster and ahead of me and taking all the coins and whatnot. I'm at 37 rubies, I think I get 5 from logging in on day 10 and I'll see where I can magic 3 more from because this stupid ten pull is all I'm chasing now.

And yeah, the game would be fine if the score chasing tours weren't so reliant on the rng. I think they'll take cues from this for mario kart 9 but it won't be reliant on the gatcha garbage.

Metal Mario lvl 3

Radish Rider lvl1

Gold Glider lvl3

Metal Mario and Radish Rider from the gold pass, Gold glider from the store.

Upgraded with the HE tickets from the gold pass.

Its just a monthly sub, I havent paid anything else. Just built on whatever came from the pass. I got almost nothing for the other two tracks this week, a mix of 1st and 2nd tier items.

I bought Mario Kart 8 day 1 on the WiiU and played it maybe 10-12 hours. Unlocked all of the tracks and stuff and left it. Played some of the online but really not that much. Im not going to buy Mario Kart 8 once again on the Switch, that would be a total of 100 pounds or so that Ive paid to play that game. Just because Nintendo cant sort out their back compatibility.

This is more like a compromise for me, I get to play a brand new MK with some new tracks, for a fiver a month. Ive spent a lot of time with it so far, maybe 40 hours +- and its been eating into my gametime elsewhere which I can notice I dont have that much time to play on the big screen. Im probably going to keep the sub for another couple of months and then see what else is going on timewise, and by then I will have spent 20 pounds on a game I really enjoyed. I dont see the problem with that. And you can always tune back into the gold pass if you leave it and you keep all of your stuff.

16 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

Its just a monthly sub, I havent paid anything else. Just built on whatever came from the pass. I got almost nothing for the other two tracks this week, a mix of 1st and 2nd tier items.

I bought Mario Kart 8 day 1 on the WiiU and played it maybe 10-12 hours. Unlocked all of the tracks and stuff and left it. Played some of the online but really not that much. Im not going to buy Mario Kart 8 once again on the Switch, that would be a total of 100 pounds or so that Ive paid to play that game. Just because Nintendo cant sort out their back compatibility.

This is more like a compromise for me, I get to play a brand new MK with some new tracks, for a fiver a month. Ive spent a lot of time with it so far, maybe 40 hours +- and its been eating into my gametime elsewhere which I can notice I dont have that much time to play on the big screen. Im probably going to keep the sub for another couple of months and then see what else is going on timewise, and by then I will have spent 20 pounds on a game I really enjoyed. I dont see the problem with that. And you can always tune back into the gold pass if you leave it and you keep all of your stuff.

I never said there was a problem, but you can't tell me you can achieve consistently decent scores withiut at least paying for the monthly sub.

But it's a free to play game, and that's the way it goes. It's just a bit disappointing that it's so stingy and seemingly has mechanisms put in place that mean you have to at least sub if you want any consistent way of having the means to reach the scores.

What I like the least about the game is actually the fact that you stop getting EXP and Coins after a few races. That there's a daily cap is just dumb. What happened to put in some effort and work to achieve greater things? The only way you can achieve greater things in this game is by paying real money, and when a single month of mario kart tour cost as much as 6 months of Nintento Online for Switch, I think I'm done with my time with this game. It was frustrating yet fun while it lasted :)

5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I never said there was a problem, but you can't tell me you can achieve consistently decent scores withiut at least paying for the monthly sub.

But it's a free to play game, and that's the way it goes. It's just a bit disappointing that it's so stingy and seemingly has mechanisms put in place that mean you have to at least sub if you want any consistent way of having the means to reach the scores.

That wasnt directed at you, just the notion that paying for the gold sub is inherently a bad thing.

• Upvote 1

This past tour I'm slowly losing interest.

I don't know if it's because i'm tier 20 now but the other racers seem to ruthless. I mean, it's not a bad thing if i'm not always 1st place - the increased difficulty is somewhat welcomed.

However, constantly get screwed over on the last section of the track is real cheap. Speaking of cheap. WTF is the deal with cheep cheep lagoon being on the past THREE tours? Urghh i'm sick of that track.

Regarding ranked. I made 4th last week (went to bed at 2nd) but it was a grind and it seems RNG whether you get a good score due to frenzys.  This week though, i'm 15th and to get 1st is 40K. I just don't think i can be bothered, especially as I have no high end gliders for the donkey kong mountain.

Really? I mean, fucking REALLY? Even as RNG goes that's utter bullshit, especially seeing as the gift that gave me the 3 rubies to do a ten pull also gave me the kart that I just got 3 times from the pipe. I'm missing 33 karts from the lineup, so this is.... sigh.

Anyway, just to wait till tomorrow to see what the shop is like and then I can uninstall it.

bullshit.jpg

• Empathy 2