Jump to content

Mario Kart Tour - out now for mobile, if you really must


Recommended Posts

I started playing this about three weeks ago, and on the 12th of this month I activated the Gold Membership. I won my first weekly cup and everything was fun and dandy. The 2nd week was shit due to me not having a lot of drivers or karts but for this week it seems I could win again. At least I thought so. The thing is, last night I decided that the gold membership doesn’t add a lot of extra value to the game, so I cancelled the membership, thus ending my 14 day free trial period. 

Immediately after I’d done this, all my «luck» disappeared as well. Prior to the cancellation I used to get at least one frenzy on each race, but now I’ve done twenty (ish) races and haven’t seen a single frenzy. Wtf? 
I really hope this is just due to utter bad luck and not in any way tied to the fact I decided againsy paying for a month.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive had some incredible luck with frenzies while moving up from the bottom of the leaderboards sometimes. The next day, same tracks, no frenzies.

 

On 24/11/2019 at 10:09, Fuddle said:

Daisy and bowser are in my shop today, was thinking about buying both, but spent my gems instead as I got loads still.

36C8B3CB-08CC-4288-9960-4E67B9E1B33E.thumb.png.c471e9a34491eeb58bfe0b05a4e368e9.png

 

Im not too hung up on the spotlight characters since usually there is a Super level character that can replace them. But the gliders are pretty rare, and the Gold glider is really nice. I bought mine from the store and upgraded it to lvl3. Also got the Swooper from the store, but thats it as far as High End gliders go.

 

Finally making it to rank 20 tomorrow, thought Id be stuck at 19 with these scores

 

IMG_1047.thumb.jpg.47c981f517a7a0cb711bfb5a4a28e888.jpg

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I've just moved up to 16 after utterly failing to get higher than 4th in 14.

 

There's something about this game that makes me think it's got the most aggressively curated 'RNG' of any game I've ever played. I've not had anything that I don't already own on my shop since I last listed about it a week ago. I'm near a ten pull and I fully expect it to change after. I also expect the ten pull to give me one rainbow or gold item I don't have and the rest be dupes.

 

The frenzy thing is bullshit as well, like Orbital says.

 

If I'm honest I've no idea why I'm still playing aside from to be able to go "Hah! See! It IS a fucking cheating sack of shit!" Like some half arsed sleuth that only finds out the butler did it once he's in handcuffs and being carted off in the paddy wagon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to me that the points you accumulate during a single race are a bit random. They probably are not, but when I get the feeling they are it's hard to get a proper feeling of achievement whenever I get a good score. Since yesterday I've tried to get a better score on DK Pass in this weeks cup. I've used the same driver, kart and glider every single time and usually I've finished with 9000-10500 points, regardless of getting one or more frenzies. Last night I managed to get a 50+ combo two times and a total of two frenzies but still not more than just over 10k points. This morning I had one frenzy and never got over a 40 combo chain, yet I accumulated 12500+ points. It's stuff like this that makes it hard for me to appreciate the scoring system because I never know if I have a good run before I cross the finish line. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that this is an OK game, perfectly playable for free and I had some fun with it. But now I have subbed to Apple Arcade and have a ton of other choices, I'm deleted this and won't be going back. I only really play mobile games on the train and for the odd 5 minutes here and there but the Arcade stuff has made me realise just how shitty the in app purchase system is in games, along with adverts. Just not having purchases rammed in your face every time you play makes the whole mobile gaming thing much more appealing to me.

 

It's a real shame that Mario Run didn't do as well as they hoped so they chose this route, I happily paid my money for that and felt it was worth it, but I'm done with this freemium nonsense now. But it's just another instance of this old man shouting at the sky again......

Link to post
Share on other sites

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record (too late) there's too much fuckery going on. I can't get over about 6900 because of a number of factors. I had a quick Google on how to get a decent score on it and the Reddit thread it pointed me to basically said "combos and levelled characters". 

 

I'm struggling with combos due to be useless and other drivers just being faster and ahead of me and taking all the coins and whatnot. I'm at 37 rubies, I think I get 5 from logging in on day 10 and I'll see where I can magic 3 more from because this stupid ten pull is all I'm chasing now.

 

And yeah, the game would be fine if the score chasing tours weren't so reliant on the rng. I think they'll take cues from this for mario kart 9 but it won't be reliant on the gatcha garbage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its just a monthly sub, I havent paid anything else. Just built on whatever came from the pass. I got almost nothing for the other two tracks this week, a mix of 1st and 2nd tier items.

 

I bought Mario Kart 8 day 1 on the WiiU and played it maybe 10-12 hours. Unlocked all of the tracks and stuff and left it. Played some of the online but really not that much. Im not going to buy Mario Kart 8 once again on the Switch, that would be a total of 100 pounds or so that Ive paid to play that game. Just because Nintendo cant sort out their back compatibility.

 

This is more like a compromise for me, I get to play a brand new MK with some new tracks, for a fiver a month. Ive spent a lot of time with it so far, maybe 40 hours +- and its been eating into my gametime elsewhere which I can notice I dont have that much time to play on the big screen. Im probably going to keep the sub for another couple of months and then see what else is going on timewise, and by then I will have spent 20 pounds on a game I really enjoyed. I dont see the problem with that. And you can always tune back into the gold pass if you leave it and you keep all of your stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

Its just a monthly sub, I havent paid anything else. Just built on whatever came from the pass. I got almost nothing for the other two tracks this week, a mix of 1st and 2nd tier items.

 

I bought Mario Kart 8 day 1 on the WiiU and played it maybe 10-12 hours. Unlocked all of the tracks and stuff and left it. Played some of the online but really not that much. Im not going to buy Mario Kart 8 once again on the Switch, that would be a total of 100 pounds or so that Ive paid to play that game. Just because Nintendo cant sort out their back compatibility.

 

This is more like a compromise for me, I get to play a brand new MK with some new tracks, for a fiver a month. Ive spent a lot of time with it so far, maybe 40 hours +- and its been eating into my gametime elsewhere which I can notice I dont have that much time to play on the big screen. Im probably going to keep the sub for another couple of months and then see what else is going on timewise, and by then I will have spent 20 pounds on a game I really enjoyed. I dont see the problem with that. And you can always tune back into the gold pass if you leave it and you keep all of your stuff.

 

I never said there was a problem, but you can't tell me you can achieve consistently decent scores withiut at least paying for the monthly sub.

 

But it's a free to play game, and that's the way it goes. It's just a bit disappointing that it's so stingy and seemingly has mechanisms put in place that mean you have to at least sub if you want any consistent way of having the means to reach the scores.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What I like the least about the game is actually the fact that you stop getting EXP and Coins after a few races. That there's a daily cap is just dumb. What happened to put in some effort and work to achieve greater things? The only way you can achieve greater things in this game is by paying real money, and when a single month of mario kart tour cost as much as 6 months of Nintento Online for Switch, I think I'm done with my time with this game. It was frustrating yet fun while it lasted :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

 

I never said there was a problem, but you can't tell me you can achieve consistently decent scores withiut at least paying for the monthly sub.

 

But it's a free to play game, and that's the way it goes. It's just a bit disappointing that it's so stingy and seemingly has mechanisms put in place that mean you have to at least sub if you want any consistent way of having the means to reach the scores.

 

That wasnt directed at you, just the notion that paying for the gold sub is inherently a bad thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This past tour I'm slowly losing interest.

 

I don't know if it's because i'm tier 20 now but the other racers seem to ruthless. I mean, it's not a bad thing if i'm not always 1st place - the increased difficulty is somewhat welcomed.

 

However, constantly get screwed over on the last section of the track is real cheap. Speaking of cheap. WTF is the deal with cheep cheep lagoon being on the past THREE tours? Urghh i'm sick of that track.

 

Regarding ranked. I made 4th last week (went to bed at 2nd) but it was a grind and it seems RNG whether you get a good score due to frenzys.  This week though, i'm 15th and to get 1st is 40K. I just don't think i can be bothered, especially as I have no high end gliders for the donkey kong mountain.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really? I mean, fucking REALLY? Even as RNG goes that's utter bullshit, especially seeing as the gift that gave me the 3 rubies to do a ten pull also gave me the kart that I just got 3 times from the pipe. I'm missing 33 karts from the lineup, so this is.... sigh.

Anyway, just to wait till tomorrow to see what the shop is like and then I can uninstall it.

bullshit.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Really? I mean, fucking REALLY? Even as RNG goes that's utter bullshit, especially seeing as the gift that gave me the 3 rubies to do a ten pull also gave me the kart that I just got 3 times from the pipe. I'm missing 33 karts from the lineup, so this is.... sigh.

Anyway, just to wait till tomorrow to see what the shop is like and then I can uninstall it.

bullshit.jpg

 

Screenshot_20191130-093747.thumb.jpg.42881c72cb380e6c177d86ceb908fc8d.jpg

 

Well fuck me sideways and call me Clarence, would you look at that. After I used up all my rubies on a garbage ten pull there's some 'rainbow' things to buy. WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THAT COMING. Good bye Mario Kart Tour. You're an awful, gouging sack of shit and I won't be sad to see the back of you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is my last tour too. Just playing over and over in the hope of randomly being given a Frenzy seems the only "tactic" required to do well in cups.

 

No new items from my pulls in either Paris or Winter tours, and just one new (silver) item available in the shop that whole time too.

 

It's ending for me with the usual empty feeling that I finally quit all f2p games with.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.