Jump to content
SMD

Playstation Plus (PS+) February 2018 - The KNACK cometh!

Recommended Posts

I gave Rime a go. It seems nice but the walking speed is a little frustrating. It still seems like my kind of game though.

Knack is actually pretty good. I opted for the frame rate boost on PS4 Pro and the game feels good to play. It's the kind game I miss where you can just stare at the screen and bash buttons all day long.

Grand Kingdom has some nice art work and might have a decent battle system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Knack is actually pretty good. I opted for the frame rate boost on PS4 Pro and the game feels good to play. It's the kind game I miss where you can just stare at the screen and bash buttons all day long.

 

I’d say Knack is ‘ok’, I’ll finish it. Knack 2 is a lot better. I found the 60fps to stay nowhere near that target in about 4 hours of play, but I’ll give it a go tomorrow in the higher resolution and see what it’s like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

 

I’d say Knack is ‘ok’, I’ll finish it. Knack 2 is a lot better. I found the 60fps to stay nowhere near that target in about 4 hours of play, but I’ll give it a go tomorrow in the higher resolution and see what it’s like.

What’s up with the cut scenes. I think a lot of them are pre rendered by why did they pre render them at like 12fps lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deKay said:

I know what a PEGI 12 is. I was expecting 7 or even 3. I thought it was for kids.

 

foolish mortal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exile's End is an odd one. It immediately seems like a Super Metroid clone, as the setup, character movement, and map appear almost actionably close to that game. But the actual level design is nothing like that, in that it's almost impenetrably hard and unforgiving -  the harshness and the focus on making leaps of faith reminded me of Amiga-era platformers that were designed and playtested by the programmers. From reading about the game online, it seems like the developers actually were inspired by Amiga and C64 games of that period, which is a real surprise - they've totally nailed the feel, but it's an odd feel to attempt to nail.

 

Much as I love the Amiga, a lot of games from that period are difficult to play now because they make no concessions to teaching the player anything, unlike, say, Super Metroid. They just chuck stuff at you and expect you to either cope, or just scour old copies of Zero for an invulnerability cheat. Exile's End copies this approach, even down to chucking you back to the title screen when you die. I admire the game's commitment to the standards of the time, even while I'm shaking my head at its pigheadedness - it's a game that refuses to teach you anything, and also refuses to learn anything from history. It's a descendent of late-period amiga games like Kid Chaos or Brian the Lion that copied console platformers and equalled them technically, but just didn't understand them from a design perspective.

 

It feels like it should have come in a huge box with a Roger Dean cover and a t-shirt, with a soundtrack by David Whittaker or Tim Wright. it's the kind of game I can see Amiga Format going apeshit over, and Amiga Power giving 60% to.  Still, I'm tempted to keep going just to see if they can sustain that Amiga atmosphere.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, K said:

Exile's End is an odd one. It immediately seems like a Super Metroid clone, as the setup, character movement, and map appear almost actionably close to that game. But the actual level design is nothing like that, in that it's almost impenetrably hard and unforgiving -  the harshness and the focus on making leaps of faith reminded me of Amiga-era platformers that were designed and playtested by the programmers. From reading about the game online, it seems like the developers actually were inspired by Amiga and C64 games of that period, which is a real surprise - they've totally nailed the feel, but it's an odd feel to attempt to nail.

 

Much as I love the Amiga, a lot of games from that period are difficult to play now because they make no concessions to teaching the player anything, unlike, say, Super Metroid. They just chuck stuff at you and expect you to either cope, or just scour old copies of Zero for an invulnerability cheat. Exile's End copies this approach, even down to chucking you back to the title screen when you die. I admire the game's commitment to the standards of the time, even while I'm shaking my head at its pigheadedness - it's a game that refuses to teach you anything, and also refuses to learn anything from history. It's a descendent of late-period amiga games like Kid Chaos or Brian the Lion that copied console platformers and equalled them technically, but just didn't understand them from a design perspective.

 

It feels like it should have come in a huge box with a Roger Dean cover and a t-shirt, with a soundtrack by David Whittaker or Tim Wright. it's the kind of game I can see Amiga Format going apeshit over, and Amiga Power giving 60% to.  Still, I'm tempted to keep going just to see if they can sustain that Amiga atmosphere.

 

All of this makes me want to play it despite generally disliking leaps of faith. Wish I had a Vita.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mawdlin said:

 

All of this makes me want to play it despite generally disliking leaps of faith. Wish I had a Vita.

 

From playing it, I suspect that the idea of the game is more interesting than the reality. It's available on PS4 as well, but I'm not sure it's worth £7.99.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/02/2018 at 09:58, deKay said:

I thought Knack was a kids game, but it's coming up as PEGI 12? Didn't expect that.

 

PEGI have seriousely ramped down the requirements for a higher rating over the years. What exactly warrants a 12+ from Knack?

 

Ace Attorney went from 7+ - 16+ (different entry, but hardly any 'adult' content).

OoT went from 3+ to 7+ (on the VC re-release) to 12+ (on the Wii U re-release) (exact same game, just bumped up a rating for reasons).

 

They gave Limbo a 18+ which is mental, same with Elder Scrolls Online. Those games are 12+ at the worst. Have they seen the 12+ rated Happy Tree Friends? Way more violent than either of them. Anyway, I always like to talk about ratings and censorship. I always find it funny when they rate Star Wars games 16+, thats basically an 'M' or 15/18 BBFC which is very comical to me.

 

In regards to Knack it definately is an all-ages game. Even if its fantasy beasts defeating other fantasy beasts, PEGI will slap at least a 7+ on it. If theres a lot of fighting (like in Knack) even if it's mild in nature, if its frequent will garner a 12+. They even bumped Pokemon Red/Blue up to 12+, primarily cause of the Casino - but SEGA Casino on DS was rated 18+ for the same reason. Guidelines all over the place.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having played a bit more of Exile's End, I suspect that the retro feel to the level design is less a deliberate choice, and more that the developers just aren't very good at designing platform games, in much the same way that a lot of Amiga developers were. There are some overt references to games like Another World and Flashback, but the general feel of being overtly hostile to the player in the same way that Shadow of the Beast II or Turrican were is probably an accident. Playing it is a bit like when Robocod or Gods came out on consoles after being critically acclaimed on the Amiga, and got mediocre reviews because the standard of level design was so much higher on the Mega Drive and SNES.

 

It's not actually a bad game, but it's full of design idiocy. Like the way that health and ammo powerups are really rare, and there are no places to recharge / restock. Or the way that your health never recharges, and is always at a minimum when you respawn after death - so when you restart the game (after being chucked back to the title screen, remember) you can get killed by the first enemy to touch you, to the extent that you can get trapped in a death loop if a tough enemy is very close to you when you restart. There's even really basic stuff, like the way that the map screen is gradually uncovered in the same way as Super Metroid, but the playable area doesn't match up with the map layout, so there are loads of squares you can never get to, which makes exploring hard as you can't tell whether a block is inaccessible, or whether it's newly accessible after collecting a new item / ability. Points of interest aren't marked on the map, so you either have to remember where a weakened wall or radioactive area is, or scour the entire playing area to find where the entrance to the new bit is.

 

There's loads of stuff like that. The music is not great. The way that the enemies have absurdly basic AI and just run back and forth on platforms is possibly a deliberate retro decision, but makes the combat a bit dull, especially given that you can't shoot up or at a diagonal - again, possibly a retro choice, but maybe not. I'm still playing it for all that, as some of the visuals are quite nice, and they've captured the compulsive feel of a Metroid game, but I feel that Amiga Power were probably right to give this 60%.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2018 at 08:51, Vorgot said:

Made up we get Rime. Will give a whole new understanding on The Computer Game Show. Was it James who had iy as his GOTY?

 

No, it was Mat, although I did really like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jcafarley said:

 

No, it was Mat, although I did really like it.

Not given it a go yet, too busy getting stuck into Persona 5, but will get round to it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it'll be Doom or something in March. It's been out for a while and often cheap and I reckon it would sell a lot of PS+ subscriptions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, shirubagan said:

What do we think the chances of The Order 1886 are for March?

Possibly, as is DOOM.

My money is something that the Asian region have had that we haven't, eg GoW remastered, Gravity Rush remaster, Ratchet & Clank, Wasteland 2.

 

I hope we get another VR game as getting one on PS+ every two months is fine by me, I'm sure Sony have been looking at the sales figures to see whether they have improved (although we have had discount sales as well).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kirby said:

 

I hope they don't bother with any more VR games, it's a slap in the face to most of their paying customers without a VR headset. I'm essentially paying for extra PS Plus games for the rich people who can afford VR. Sony should make PS Plus cost more for VR owners.

Yeah this isn't how commerce works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kirby said:

 

I agree, it should cost <x> amount per system you own (VR counts as a separate system).

 

They should just ditch the PS3 and Vita altogether. However if their tactic is to literally just shovel shit to those consoles via Plus then thats fine too.

I can't believe the PS4 is half a decade old already.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.