Billy Mitchell / Twin Galaxies news (Twin Galaxies now suing Billy Mitchell and Walter Day)

59 minutes ago, strider said:

To be fair I’ve had Billy Michell’s hot sauce and it was very tasty. 

I’m perfectly aware of how rude that sounds.

You’ve never interviewed him for a copy of retro gamer?

• 1 month later...

Karl Jobst (a GoldenEye/Perfect Dark speedrunner from days of yore who now does videos about speedrunning) recently published a couple of videos criticising Guinness World Records. The first was this one, about them claiming Mario run footage as their own:

A few days ago he did the one below, about the more general problems with Guinness World Records' attempts to become an authority on gaming records.

His arguments in the video are that the Book of Records was once a useful compilation of statistics, but now we have the internet and can directly look up sporting records on the websites of the organisations that officially adjudicate them (e.g. this World Athletics page). So now that the book has lost a lot of its reason for existing, Guinness makes its money from people willing to pay them enough money to send out their judges to verify frivolous gimmick records. When it comes to video games, those Guinness judges do not have the knowledge and experience to judge whether a record is valid or suspicious, unlike the moderators of each individual game's time-/score-attacking communities.

Just after 10:00 in that video, he refers to Billy Mitchell as "a proven cheater", and summarises the Donkey Kong/Twin Galaxies/Guinness situation.

Guess what Mitchell's reaction was?

I just watched a YT video of someone reviewing that episode after reading your comment @Dig Dug. It's quite hilarious his depiction when he eventually appears as a giant head (with a jesus like look but also quite like BM himself) and claims to have the universe record when finding out his world record has been beaten. 

I dunno, the guys reputation has pretty much been destroyed and he's doing what he can to fight back. Guinness has decided to back him and they must have done some checking despite what complaints might throw out as conjecture. Thing to remember is it's all hearsay and we might not agree with going after some Youtubers but maybe after all this he's well in his rights?

• 2 months later...

I know Bill quite well.

Regular Bill the hot sauce guy is great - always friendly and supportive. I don't go a load on the white-suited "Billy Pac-Man" persona thing, and find all this stuff a bunch of childish nonsense. If you can get him to drop the mask (something of a feat in itself), behind the character he plays in public he's actually a lot of fun to be around. I will say that he is fully aware of the irony of the character he plays so well, and even in recent times since this whole thing broke, he is still a draw at events across the USA. He's the King of Kong 'bad guy' that everyone loves to hate.

As for Guinness - they know nothing at all about video games - there are no videogame experts there. They sell books, and rely on 3rd parties like Twin Galaxies to provide them with content. I suspect they caved in to the threat of any potential lawsuit that might be around the corner from the Billy camp.

There's a great lesson in all of this - a world record on a 40 year old videogame should not be the defining moment of anyone's life.

5 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

As one of the editors on the very first Guinness Book of Video Game records, I can safely say this is rubbish - or at least partially. 

The first book was compiled entirely by veteran video games journalists and we went to enormous pains to verify every record we put in there. 

Of course as soon as the first book was a mega success they hired some idiot editor who knew nothing about games, who asked us all to work for less than we’d been paid on the first book (itself a pittance) - so most of us told them to do one. 

So it may be more true now than it was then, but it did at least start with the best of intentions, rigorous standards and a team with a lot of gaming knowledge.

Agreed (and apologies if you took my post as a sweeping statement there) - I was referring more to the here and now. The main Guinness book in 2006 is when classic scores started being published by Guinness again. I think the first videogame specific book was 2007, when gaming scores went to the Gaming Book published separately. The first of those was well done as were the 2006 entries, and appeared to be credible. Things started going south, when a certain player managed to convince Guinness to publish complete fiction about a particular score in the 2008 issue, which sounds like it coincides with the events you mention above. Checks and balances were clearly not in place. Since then, it seems to be nothing more than a regurgitation of data.

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone's interested, Billy is taking part in a Pac-Man tournament on Antstream right now, where he's currently getting whipped by John Stoodley, who I believe is the UK Pac-Man champion. As well as the prodigious gaming talent known as VeeKiraRay, who has unbelievably won just about every tournament they've hosted so far, whatever game is being played, and usually won by a massive margin. 

It's not actually regular Pac-Man, and I suspect Billy might use this as his excuse if he doesn't win. But it's basically a modified version where you start on the hardest difficulty level (the Galaxian level). I'm shit at it. 

I doubt Billy will beat Jon, Jon’s skill level is like nothing I’ve seen on PAC-Man, I believe Billy does his perfect games using tried and tested patterns.

edit: seems I’m late by a few days :doh:

On 31/10/2020 at 18:43, phillv85 said:

I doubt Billy will beat Jon, Jon’s skill level is like nothing I’ve seen on PAC-Man, I believe Billy does his perfect games using tried and tested patterns.

edit: seems I’m late by a few days :doh:

Both of them were beaten by VeeKiraRay. Honestly I don't know how this guy does it but he seems to be able to pick up any game and immediately play it far better than anyone else! I was expecting him to do well but to beat two seasoned professional players is pretty unbelievable.

And yeah Billy's entry turned out to be a bit of a damp squib in the end, I think he finished in 5th place. He got a pretty high score but in the end was solidly beaten by a bunch of amateurs , so take from that what you will about his actual skill level...

2 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Both of them were beaten by VeeKiraRay. Honestly I don't know how this guy does it but he seems to be able to pick up any game and immediately play it far better than anyone else! I was expecting him to do well but to beat two seasoned professional players is pretty unbelievable.

And yeah Billy's entry turned out to be a bit of a damp squib in the end, I think he finished in 5th place. He got a pretty high score but in the end was solidly beaten by a bunch of amateurs , so take from that what you will about his actual skill level...

gettin old 

I do think your skills get progressively worse once you get past your early 20s. I struggle with loads of retro games now that I could destroy in my youth. Thinking of stuff like Super Ghouls n Ghosts and even stuff like Pac Man, which I was never amazing at but my skills have certainly declined. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Unofficial Who changed the title to Billy Mitchell / Twin Galaxies news (Twin Galaxies now suing Billy Mitchell and Walter Day)
10 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

Something about Walter Day really creeps me out. He crops up in multiple gaming films/documentaries, and as soon as I see him my skin starts to crawl. 

The allegations in the last couple of minutes might not surprise you then.

There's always been some unsavoury characters around that whole scene. A bloke from the Chasing Ghosts documentary ended up locked up for "it". I know I shouldn't judge folks from how they look and come across, but there's a few others present in some of the scenes in that and King of Kong I don't think parents would want their kids near.

24 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

13:50 of that video makes an allegation which I won't repeat here.

Ahhh! I was being a bit dense and though you meant in the last few mins as in "now on the 20th Nov!!“. 

I have now watched the video and see what you mean...