IGNORED

House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn (Arcade)

robotattack

Surely these games would be trivially easy to port to the current crop of consoles? The Sega arcade series or something like that, I think they'd do well as digital downloads.

It's been a while since we've had a great light gun game. It's a shame the Move is merely passable for that style of game. I enjoy the occasional blast on Time Crisis and even The Shoot on the PS3, but damn the drift on those things is appalling. I'd do better to dust off the Wii and have a crack at Ghost Squad and House Of The Dead.

I'd love to see more arcade games on consoles. These days I welcome the more immediate thrill of something like a light gun game than I do think sprawl of games like Horizon.

The death of CRT screens pretty much killed decent light gun games in the home, which is a shame, cos I really loved them. I haven't seen anything as fast and precise since. I remember trying out some weird sensor strips that you could attach to the top/bottom/sides of your LCD screen, which sorta-kinda worked, but were hopeless if there was any daylight around.

What's this thing using? Most modern "light gun" games that I've seen in arcades have the guns attached to the cabinet, so they are basically analogue sticks.

Looks awesome. They need to bring it out in VR for sure. 

I have to say though the light gun games on the PS3 with the camera were really good. House of the Dead Overkill and those Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles ones as well as Dead space. The tracking was perfect on my setup.

1 hour ago, Sumire said:

I have to say though the light gun games on the PS3 with the camera were really good. House of the Dead Overkill and those Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles ones as well as Dead space. The tracking was perfect on my setup.

Maybe it was something in my setup then? I had to constantly fight drift and re-calibrate the controller. You know what, I've moved recently, I'll set it all up this evening and see if things are any better.

Arcade games are so weird, this vestigial part of the industry where the last 20 years of game design never happened.

The House of the Dead team made that Rise of Nightmares game for the 360 and even without the terrible Kinect controls, the game is just so dated. Half Life figured out how to embed scripted stuff in game without cutscenes taking control away from the player in 1998, but in 2013 every enemy attacking an NPC in another room that you can't interact with has to grab control of your camera and remove your controls.