rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Wiper

A titan has passed: Ursula K Le Guin (1929-2018)

I agree with everything you have said. The first writer in my life that where it has genuinely saddened me that there is now a definite limit on the amount I can read by them.

"For a word to be spoken,” Ged answered slowly, “there must be silence. Before, and after.” Then all at once he got up, saying, “I have no right to speak of these things. The word that was mine to say I said wrong. It is better that I keep still; I will not speak again. Maybe there is no true power but the dark.”

• Upvote 1

Absolutely one of the greats. Her work genuinely changed the way I think about the world and how I (try to) treat other people.

• Upvote 2

Very sad news. Amazingly, I have only ever read one single solitary short story by ULG, and that was in a collection of stories by writers paying tribute to Jack Vance by writing stories set on The Dying Earth.

It was terrific.

• Upvote 1

Very sad news indeed, if inevitable (at 88 years young).

I (vaguely it must be said) remember hearing her speak at Reading University when I was 11 or 12.  I still have loads of her work to read.  

A true genius.  RIP.

• Upvote 1

Another one of the greats goes. :( What a terrific writer. She paved the way for tackling far broader topics within science fiction. Her writing style seemed to flow so beautifully that you just became caught up and hours would pass.

• Upvote 1

How awful! A writer who I have heard a lot about, but never gotten around to reading any of her stuff. Is there anything in particular you would recommend?

• Upvote 1

One of the all time greats.

I read a bunch of her sci-fi novels and short stories when I was way too young to understand them off the back of reading Wizard of Earthsea and that shaped my imagination as much as any other influence.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

How awful! A writer who I have heard a lot about, but never gotten around to reading any of her stuff. Is there anything in particular you would recommend?

One of either The Left Hand of Darkness, A Wizard of Earthsea or one of her many short story collections would make a good hopping on point, depending on what you're after (I also love The Dispossessed, but I wouldn't pick it as an introduction). 

• Upvote 3

If you're more in to pulp sci-fi City Of Illusions is a nice bridge between that kind of stuff and her more conceptual novels. It's also a cool introduction to some of the backstory / history in her more famous works (like Left Hand Of Darkness, which is a masterpiece).

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

The first three Earthsea books are an easy (but amazing read). The Tombs of Atuan blew me away when I was a kid and I spent years devouring books to find its equal. She has a way with words that is incredibly efficient and yet evocative.

When I found out today the sun seemed to shine a little dimmer. Her passing is a massive loss but she's left behind a large body of work. I still have some Earthsea books yet to read.

• Upvote 1

On 24/01/2018 at 08:36, ZOK said:

Very sad news. Amazingly, I have only ever read one single solitary short story by ULG, and that was in a collection of stories by writers paying tribute to Jack Vance by writing stories set on The Dying Earth.

It was terrific.

Well you're ahead of me, I have several of her novels on my list (the only one I remember off the top of my head is the Lathe of Heaven) but have never in my bookshop rummaging found a single solitary one.

• Upvote 1

The Earth sea trilogy (back when it was one) was one of my first fantasy reads. Sparrowhawk's journeys still stay with me till this day.

• Upvote 3