rllmuk
JohnC

What We Do in the Shadows - TV version

Last night's BBC2 episodes were wonderful.

An amazing set of guest stars in the Vampiric Council. Not only the three filmic vampires (needed more Stu), but also Tilda Swinton, Dave Bautista, Danny Trejo, Wesley Snipes, Kristen Schaal, etc. The fates of familiars was also wonderfully bleak.

I really liked the second of the double bill as well, where the show seemed to come out of its shell more as its own thing rather than a TV remake of the movie. Even the short exchange between Lazlo and Colin ("Why are you wearing cologne?" "To annoy you." "Well played") gave the characters depth and the side story of Nandor trying to get his citizenship was great, with Matt Berry's "Bat"/"Human form" always making me chuckle.

Very pleased that this will get a second series.

• Upvote 1

On 10/06/2019 at 09:33, BossSaru said:

Last night's BBC2 episodes were wonderful.

Hide contents

An amazing set of guest stars in the Vampiric Council. Not only the three filmic vampires (needed more Stu), but also Tilda Swinton, Dave Bautista, Danny Trejo, Wesley Snipes, Kristen Schaal, etc. The fates of familiars was also wonderfully bleak.

I really liked the second of the double bill as well, where the show seemed to come out of its shell more as its own thing rather than a TV remake of the movie. Even the short exchange between Lazlo and Colin ("Why are you wearing cologne?" "To annoy you." "Well played") gave the characters depth and the side story of Nandor trying to get his citizenship was great, with Matt Berry's "Bat"/"Human form" always making me chuckle.

Very pleased that this will get a second series.

PEEWEE HERMAN

The movie is incredible, I must have watched it half a dozen times and it still creases me up at every turn.  I'm afraid I haven't really enjoyed the series though - it's had its moments but it's been more miss than hit for me.  I'm only up to the BBC2 showings so far mind you, so a few episodes still to go.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

The movie is incredible, I must have watched it half a dozen times and it still creases me up at every turn.  I'm afraid I haven't really enjoyed the series though - it's had its moments but it's been more miss than hit for me.  I'm only up to the BBC2 showings so far mind you, so a few episodes still to go.

Likewise, I have seen the movie a few times and it is (IMO) as perfect a black comedy as I can imagine. There is always something new in it to notice. This low-key, throw-away moment is funnier than the entirety of most comedy films, because the characters are all so well realised:

37ac59efde5ef7988e621985a730ae36.jpg

• Upvote 1