Truth Seekers - Pegg and Frost back on telly

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/simon-pegg-nick-frost-stolen-picture-tuth-seekers-1202668059/

After Slaughterhouse Rulez, the next project from their own Stolen Picture company is Truth Seekers. It's a half-hour comedy-horror series about three paranormal investigators. Each episode will be focused on a different incident. Pegg says it starts off as a parochial little business but becomes something more global.

They also mention developing a film about a double act who haven't spoken for decades and reunite one last time. All that makes me think is "It won't be half as good as Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room".

• 2 years later...
On 20/01/2018 at 18:17, JohnC said:

It's a half-hour comedy-horror series about three paranormal investigators. Each episode will be focused on a different incident.

Wellington Paranormal says hello!

19 hours ago, JohnC said:

NcIsKm6.jpg

I know it's highly likely Simon Pegg has had some kind of work done to his hair (hair plugs or maybe he's been like Dec (from Ant and Dec) and taking that medicine that potentially causes permanent penile erectile non-function), but that's now getting ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

So....this is something we might actually be able to watch? I mean, I thought it was fairly obvious what I was implying. 

I have no idea what that has to do with my point which was that Pegg and Frost are returning to TV with an idea that, based on the brief summary up there, appears very similar to the concept of a show that already exists. That Wellington Paranormal is, bizarrely, still not available over here is neither here nor there...

I thought that was fairly obvious.

I'm not sure it'll be all that much like Wellington Paranormal. It's not documentary style and I don't think there will be the scepticism that was sort of present. Plus it's building up to some apocalyptic event they need to stop.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Plus it's building up to some apocalyptic event they need to stop.

Oh dear.

If it was more like WP it would actually be great. Ironically.

And maybe it still will, it's just that the last time they were truly great was Shaun of the Dead which was a long, long time ago.

17 hours ago, Mike S said:

As an aside, I have only just realised that Pegg in a wig is Pegg in a wig. Scrolling past on the phone earlier I thought it was Nigel Havers.

Snap!

9 hours ago, Festoon said:

Terrible to hear this programme no one has seen is not as good as a different one.

How do you know it’s not as good?

3 hours ago, Mike S said:

I was responding to some of the comment above which seem to damn it in light of the existence of Wellington Paranormal.

4 hours ago, Mike S said:

Probably you saying this:

On 22/07/2020 at 21:28, Mike S said:

Oh dear.

If it was more like WP it would actually be great. Ironically.

And maybe it still will, it's just that the last time they were truly great was Shaun of the Dead which was a long, long time ago.

• 3 months later...

I thought this was poor, it certainly should have been better with the cast involved. the main failing for me is that it wasn't funny or clever or emotive, it just has nothing about it to make it stand out as something worth watching which is a shame.

Well overall I enjoyed it enough to keep watching all eight episodes. As I said in my earlier post it's fairly light on comedy and this becomes even more true past about episode 5 other than a few gags, and it moves into an overarching plot which is...fine, I guess. Few twists, few turns. Was ok. Wasn't as good as you'd probably expect from Pegg and Frost - perhaps they need Edgar Wright to complete the holy (cornetto) trilogy. 

I thought this was quite decent. It’s not brilliant, but a couple of episodes were nicely creepyscary, I quite liked the overarching plot strands and though there weren’t many LOLs I did find myself smiling at it a lot of the time.

I find Nick Frost endlessly watchable and likeable though so that always helps.