Jump to content
IGNORED

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel


Thread Owner
 Share

Recommended Posts

I couldn’t find a topic, but this is well worth a watch. It won 2 Golden Globes, and is available on Amazon Prime over here. It’s a comedy which is very funny and a lavish period drama which scratches that Mad Men itch. It also has a strong female lead performance. It’s one of the best shows I’ve watched lately and at 8 episodes doesn’t drag or outstay it’s welcome.

 

maisel._CB511924758_.png

 

Quote

It's the late 1950s and Miriam "Midge" Maisel has everything she has ever wanted -- the perfect husband, two kids and an elegant apartment on New York's Upper West Side. Her seemingly idyllic life takes a surprising turn when she discovers a hidden talent she didn't previously know she had -- stand-up comedy. This revelation changes her life forever as she begins a journey that takes her from her comfortable life on the Upper West Side through the cafes and nightclubs of Greenwich Village as she makes her way through the city's comedy industry on a path that could ultimately lead her to a spot on the "Tonight Show" couch. The series was created by Amy Sherman-Palladino ("Gilmore Girls").

 

I was going to post the trailer but it spoils a lot - best going in without knowing anything beforehand I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...

Just finished this yesterday, and didn't binge it or anything. I had some trouble getting into it at first, a lot of the jokes just went way over my head. It grew on me over time though and I'm now genuinely looking forward to season 2 this December!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On episode three on the basis of this thread and I don't really get it. It's slightly charming, and I'm intrigued by the very stagey, stylized feel. But the show itself is droll at best and the actual stand up is just not funny so I struggle to suspend my disbelief. I'll give it another few episodes while I'm on the treadmill I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh definitely. Although the two still have a very distinct "aura". To me it feels like Gilmore Girls is the mainstream version of Amy Palladino, then with the Netflix Revival she got to let out the Amy a lot more already and now this project is her true baby. I love TMMM but I wish that for the GG revival they'd stuck with the old style and not turned it into some crazy magical musical, it really didn't fit at all.

 

Anyway, the series has now won two Golden Globe Awards (Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy and Best Actress – Musical or Comedy for Brosnahan) in addition to its Emmy Awards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Illyria said:

Oh definitely. Although the two still have a very distinct "aura". To me it feels like Gilmore Girls is the mainstream version of Amy Palladino, then with the Netflix Revival she got to let out the Amy a lot more already and now this project is her true baby. I love TMMM but I wish that for the GG revival they'd stuck with the old style and not turned it into some crazy magical musical, it really didn't fit at all.

 

I don't remember the magical musical stuff. There was an extended cameo to the Bunheads people that I felt didn't fit very well and a weird interjection by the Life or Death Club but that was it.

 

My current feeling is that Maisel, while excellent, is already stalling for time in a style reminisent of GG - keeping characters that should leave, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/01/2019 at 08:45, Festoon said:

 

I don't remember the magical musical stuff. There was an extended cameo to the Bunheads people that I felt didn't fit very well and a weird interjection by the Life or Death Club but that was it.

 

My current feeling is that Maisel, while excellent, is already stalling for time in a style reminisent of GG - keeping characters that should leave, etc.

 

There was a never ending musical which I think you meant with the cameo? Then the life and death brigade stuff, as well as the wedding. All of them completely out of tone with the rest of the show. 

 

I agree about the stalling in Mrs Maisel, there is a bit too much going back and forth that drags shit out unnecessarily.

 

Otherwise I enjoyed the second season more than the first, I thought it was funnier and more relatable. I've always thought that Midge was too perfect, what little flaws she has do still very much appear in season 2 though, and I guess she is the "marvelous" Mrs Maisel for a reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Illyria said:

 

There was a never ending musical which I think you meant with the cameo? Then the life and death brigade stuff, as well as the wedding. All of them completely out of tone with the rest of the show. 

 

I agree about the stalling in Mrs Maisel, there is a bit too much going back and forth that drags shit out unnecessarily.

 

Otherwise I enjoyed the second season more than the first, I thought it was funnier and more relatable. I've always thought that Midge was too perfect, what little flaws she has to still very much appear in season 2 though, and I guess she is the "marvelous" Mrs Maisel for a reason.

 

I get what you mean -  the musical was just too long (a weird attempt at padding mixed with them wanting to pay off Bunheads a bit too, perhaps?) and it would have made far more sense if Kirk had been involved.

 

I could quite believe the Life of Death Club stuff wasn't a dream sequence. Still can't. Also, I hate them. The wedding stuff I felt was earned as the end of the whole story -  a more cinematic ending for the Luke and Lorelai story.

 

As for Ms. Maisel, I agree about the character improving but I get chills about the ex-husband hanging around stuff. Christoper Hayden chills.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, JPickford said:

The second season is dreadful.  That first episode with the trip toFrance and that stand up gig is one of the worst things I've ever watched.

 

It's the worst episode by far though. The show is better when it stays on home turf.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

As for Ms. Maisel, I agree about the character improving but I get chills about the ex-husband hanging around stuff. Christoper Hayden chills.

 

Fully agree, it's what annoys me most about the entire show

 

Spoiler

They made me think that it's finally solved. I really liked the scene with the dance, it shows they are moving on, and then the last episode just undoes all that again. It's stupid.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Illyria said:

To me it feels like Gilmore Girls is the mainstream version of Amy Palladino, then with the Netflix Revival she got to let out the Amy a lot more already and now this project is her true baby.

 

I also feel GG is the superior effort, btw. It just clicks in a way Maisel doesn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd agree but I feel like I can't be objective about that. GG is very close to my heart and I've known it for such a long time, it's hard for any new effort to compete. But it definitely took me a lot longer to get into Maisel than it did with GG.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I found the first half of both seasons a bit slow (or weird in the second seasons case).

the final episode of the second season seemed astonishingly odd, whereas the two preceding episodes were as good as anything they’ve produced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.