rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Jolly

Nintendo Labo - What's in the box?

On 28/07/2018 at 20:36, grindmouse said:

Plus storing them is a bit of an issue.

That's the problem I have withe the variety kit I bought... and why I won't be buying the vehicle kit sadly. Once the things are built they just clutter the place up and rarely get used again.

Great concept though and loved building the things in the kit...

The games need to be better and the controllers need to be usable with more games. For instance; why is there a fishing game out this week that doesn’t utilise the Labo? 

Bought both initial sets for less than fifty quid total over the weekend, so looking forward to getting stuck in for mid-autumn festival.

Also bought some of the third-party cardboard sets so that I can leave the official ones in the box for my daughter to make when she's older. Reviews online for them seem positive, so hopefully they'll be fine. Looking forward to the piano the most. 

Daughter's 9th birthday in 3 weeks. Was planning on getting her the variety kit, but the new vehicle one looks tempting too. I think I'll still go for the Variety one as it's more, erm, varied. She loves music, and I think the house one will be good (she's always making houses in Lego and Minecraft).

I know it's less 'gamey', but I think it's still worth a punt right now.

Starting this today. I'll make the third-party cardboard set first and see how it turns out, but laying them side by side I think it'll be fine.

Nintendo Set

9F7o2J0.jpg

Copied Set

SC4BlQu.jpg

Only real difference seems to be that they removed all the logos, which is actually somewhat preferable. Will leave the legit set for my daughter to do whenever she's old enough. Hopefully she can help me a little with this build, though. Colouring and that.

On 23/09/2018 at 09:24, Twinbee said:

Daughter's 9th birthday in 3 weeks. Was planning on getting her the variety kit, but the new vehicle one looks tempting too. I think I'll still go for the Variety one as it's more, erm, varied. She loves music, and I think the house one will be good (she's always making houses in Lego and Minecraft).

I know it's less 'gamey', but I think it's still worth a punt right now.

The variety set is definitely the better introduction. You get to build stuff pretty quickly and there’s loads of stuff to just play around with and discover. The vehicle set is amazing but you need to spend a lot longer building the car before you can get to drive around the open world (and you’ll want to build the other two vehicles almost immediately once you do). I think they’re both great but the variety set shows off what Labo can do in a much more immediate way. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

The variety set is definitely the better introduction. You get to build stuff pretty quickly and there’s loads of stuff to just play around with and discover. The vehicle set is amazing but you need to spend a lot longer building the car before you can get to drive around the open world (and you’ll want to build the other two vehicles almost immediately once you do). I think they’re both great but the variety set shows off what Labo can do in a much more immediate way. 

Yep, couldn't agree more with this. 

On 21/09/2018 at 22:20, g wings said:

The games need to be better and the controllers need to be usable with more games. For instance; why is there a fishing game out this week that doesn’t utilise the Labo? 

Not paying Nintendo an extra licensing fee, I'd imagine.

@Strafe yep, I know there are lots of reasons but Nintendo should be trying to make the most of Labo. It feels like it’s falling flat already.

Would they be charging a fee? You'd hope not, and that they'd be doing anything to encourage other developers to get involved, but this is Nintendo so it's hard to tell.

At this point I suspect a lack of third-party interest is due to weak sales.

Maybe not in licensing but you’d imagine that it would mean a lengthy chunk of time and resources for the QA process.

While this is an absolute blast to build and then play around with, I do wish it was a bit more robust. One heated round on the motorcross game resulted in a severely damaged brake lever, putting a bit of a damper on the excitement. 

Can you even find replacement parts for this?

Maybe on Aliexpress? I bought cheap replacement kits here in China, built them and left the originals in the box.

They were near identical to the originals. Pretty good for a few quid.

• Upvote 1

I'm in China so I bought direct from Taobao. I had a look at Aliexpress and saw some that had poor reviews due to the cardboard being too thin, which definitely wasn't a problem with the ones I had. Will need to have a proper look later.