rllmuk
NEG

Two Point Hospital

The developer behind it, Two Point Studios, mission statement seems to be the revival of the style of games they once made while working at the defunct legendary UK developer Bullfrog. They do have some more people who used to work for the various offshoots. A modernised take on the sim/management games done with some of that UK flavour, could be the start of a long line of these things.

"We've been thinking of coming back to these Bullfrog-esque games for a while," Two Point co-founder Mark Webley tells us. "When we did Theme Hospital we had ideas for Theme Prison, Theme Resort. We went our separate ways and kept talking about getting back together. 

"We don't like to think of it as a spiritual succession to Theme Hospital as such, we like to think of it as a thing in its own right—something new and different. Thematically, of course, there are similarities, but we're making a completely new game. This isn't a reskinning of something we've already done."

Co-founder Gary Carr agrees, and adds: "When we were our separate ways it was nothing mysterious. When Bullfrog was bought by EA it was just the time to move on. We just parked that ambition for 20 years. With Black and White, and with Fable we had two pretty big franchises out of Lionhead. 

"The values are the same, the humour is important. Theme Hospital had its own quirky off-centre, offbeat take on the sim genre. It didn't take itself too seriously, but under the hood there was actually quite a deep sim."

times have changed since Bullfrog were in their pomp - a lot of folks from off topic would struggle with the concept of running a hospital to a budget.

• Upvote 6

This has now been slated for an August 30th release! 

I wish the visuals didn't make it look like an ipad game (especially the horrendous UI) but I still want to give it a go. I'll probably wait for a price drop though (and the inevitable content updates). 

• Upvote 1

So this is out today. Anyone taken the plunge yet?

My girlfriend still plays the original Theme Hospital to this day so I was thinking of buying this for her as a present - but I'm just afraid that buying any modern title on launch day is a mug's game because they probably haven't actually finished making it yet.

• Upvote 1

What pun (or whatever) am I missing with the title? I don't understand the name.

I never really got into Theme Hospital that much but I'm still tempted, this does sound fun.

I don't think you are, its made by Two Point Studios, it's a really bad name for a game.

• Upvote 1

I think they're starting like a management game franchise based in 'Two Point County' so you'd have 'Two Point Mall', 'Two Point Prison' shit like that. I agree though it's a terrible name but i suppose it's hard not to name these things "Hospitect' or 'Healthcare Tycoon' or whatever.

Anyway, played a bit of this this morning, so many animations! It seems like good fun and the interface is largely nice and simple. There was an Always Sunny reference too which was nice in amongst the buckets of 'ENGLISH HUMOUR (TM)'.

• Upvote 1

For anyone concerned, Voidu are listed on Sega’s website as an approved partner. Crazy since it’s nearly £10 cheaper than on Steam.