Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

It looks like he has a bad case of Engineer’s Disease. Used to be that being very successful in programming or electronics or whatever led to people coming up with excruciatingly bad unified field theories, now it’s all hot takes about genetic determinism.

Edit - By which I definitely mean to say that this is yet another smart person not noticing that they’ve wandered far out of the domain of their competence, and not necessarily anything mendacious.

Also, smart, not especially social person who got successful enough to spend far, far too much time alone in a house with their money and on the internet.

He's Poundland Notch.

Speaking of ol'Notch.

image.png.5b9538b7c32c89c0e5baab80f23758e6.png

Yes you idiot, no-one was vaccinated more than 6 months ago so "At least six months" is the best we can say.

It may not have made it out of the GMTK thread, but Notch said he'd delete his account if GMTK stopped talking about politics (?!), reinstated it for "security" reasons, and by his own admission folded like a house of cards at the prospect of being able to get attention from strangers on the internet.

Edit - There's not really a point to this, it's just what I immediately think of any time Notch is mentioned because it's the last thing he did of any significance and it makes me laugh.

Yeah, but Blow's deleted those tweets after being a clumsy fool. All this vitriol now from posters in here seems like some 2 minute hate fest. Especially trying to make him out to be as far right as Notch, who afaik hasn't been the remotest bit repentant or apologetic and has funded hate.

People make shitty tweets, clever people don't know stuff and make stupid tweets. It just doesn't warrant this celebratory public shaming which gets meted out imo. Especially compared to how people's actions are treated.

29 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Yeah, but Blow's deleted those tweets after being a clumsy fool. All this vitriol now from posters in here seems like some 2 minute hate fest. Especially trying to make him out to be as far right as Notch, who afaik hasn't been the remotest bit repentant or apologetic and has funded hate.

People make shitty tweets, clever people don't know stuff and make stupid tweets. It just doesn't warrant this celebratory public shaming which gets meted out imo. Especially compared to how people's actions are treated.

That might be the case if it was a one off but he has consistently posted bad stuff over the years, shown no remorse and because of that the deleting them seems he was more sorry to be found out rather than sorry for his opinions. 

You can still enjoy his games without having to try and defend a shitty person. I think Skull Island is an amazing movie, made by an apparent sex pest. I enjoyed the first episode of The Nevers, despite it being a Joss Whedon endeavour. You won't see me sticking up for the people though. 

7 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Has he consistently posted bad stuff over the years? Iirc he was stridently anti gamergate and then clueless about biology. We're not talking some right wing provocateur here.

He's literally using alt-right terminology in the tweet posted by moosegrinder, so either he's massively, massively ignorant or that's where he is politically aligned. His frequent use of it would lead me to believe the former. 

I wasn't comparing the acts, just saying it's OK to like the creative output of a person without dying on a hill for them. A more apt comparison probably would have been the Oddworld games, despite Lorne Lanning being a 9/11 truther. 

It is getting OT, but I do want to say I don't think anyone's dying on a hill, just to slow down on the hate. When you post this:

Good, another reason to say fuck Jonathan Blow. The whiny right wing misogynist. I hope everyone plays his game wrong and he has another melt down.

I'd expect it more than thinking the reason more men then women are interested in tech is biological rather than sociological. A tweet which was then deleted because of the offense it caused. I'm not saying he hasn't posted dumb stuff on twitter, or even people shouldn't boycott his games if they want to, of course they can, just that the eagerness to hate someone for being far right happened very quickly and I don't see the justification for that being the case. Additionally, is the alt-right terminology you refer to 'far left' ? Because that's used by shitloads of people on twitter, mainly arch centrists. I've got friends who've used that term, and they certainly aren't alt-right.

I wouldn't die on a hill for Jonathan Blow, but I wouldn't rush to hate him either. He's just tweeted some stupid stuff.

44 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

This is getting a bit off topic but sadly, bad ideas about genetics and gender also exist independently of the alt-right derposphere which has adopted them.

Exactly, the transphobia in the UK crosses political lines, not that what Blow posted comes anywhere near that.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Also, smart, not especially social person who got successful enough to spend far, far too much time alone in a house with their money and on the internet.

He's Poundland Notch.

Speaking of ol'Notch.

image.png.5b9538b7c32c89c0e5baab80f23758e6.png

Yes you idiot, no-one was vaccinated more than 6 months ago so "At least six months" is the best we can say.

Volunteers have been vaccinated for nearly a year now.

Never parsed this as "Fez has been released on the Switch" which is amazing news!

On 15/04/2021 at 02:38, Yasawas said:

Bizarrely I just dug out my PS3 yesterday to mop up any PSN redownloads I needed and Fez has been top of my reasons why. I’ve been keen to replay it for aaages and I don’t think it’s backwards-compatible on the X1 even. 

Now release Braid pls. 

It’s completely insane to me that they hurried it’s release in the montage part of the Indie World video at the end. Whilst I know it’s a re-release of an “old” game it seems like it’ll do great if most knew it was released.

Sounds silly to say it but maybe the Indie World had too many games in it :lol: 

2 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

It’s completely insane to me that they hurried it’s release in the montage part of the Indie World video at the end. Whilst I know it’s a re-release of an “old” game it seems like it’ll do great if most knew it was released.

It was a bit weird, eh! I'm looking forward to playing it and not completing it again. I do enjoy it.

Overall getting a bit nostalgic for the golden days of XBLA now after seeing @moosegrinder (I think!) on Bastion the other day. I bought it for pennies ages ago then promptly forget about it. Much as I regret inadvertently starting the Blow snowball I still want Braid, and Symphony of the Night and maybe a Geometry Wars pls.

13 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

Much as I regret inadvertently starting the Blow snowball I still want Braid, and Symphony of the Night and maybe a Geometry Wars pls.

Oh, just imagine Geometry Wars 99!

15 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

It was a bit weird, eh! I'm looking forward to playing it and not completing it again. I do enjoy it.

Overall getting a bit nostalgic for the golden days of XBLA now after seeing @moosegrinder (I think!) on Bastion the other day. I bought it for pennies ages ago then promptly forget about it. Much as I regret inadvertently starting the Blow snowball I still want Braid, and Symphony of the Night and maybe a Geometry Wars pls.

Yeah it was a couple of quid in the current sale, so I got that and transistor. Bargain for the combined price of 6 quid odd. I mean it's not like I own Bastion 3 times already...

More games should be narrated by a Tom Waits soundalike.

I bought the physical version of Transistor a while back, loved that one too. It was the first game I played on PS4 which makes me realise how long ago that was.

3 hours ago, wretcherd said:

Oh, just imagine Geometry Wars 99!

Although this many years after the demise of the developer they'd fuck it up wouldn't they?