Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Just now, Simmy said:

Whereas the opposite is true for me on Xbox and PS4. I'll often scroll through their respective stores and/or their deals tab looking for stuff.

Yeah, same here. When I had a One X I used to enjoy the new deals popping up because there was always something good-great at a great price. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Yeah, same here. When I had a One X I used to enjoy the new deals popping up because there was always something good-great at a great price. 

Definitely! 

4 hours ago, ryodi said:

Breath of the Wild is a WiiU port and no one complained about it being overpriced, the complaints are because it's now 4 years old. I also think £50 is steep but Nintendo obviously think people are going to buy it at that price.

Breath of the Wild, again, was a completely new game that hadn’t been released on anything else.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, ann coulter said:

I do think a first party 2D platformer for £50 is a bit of a tough sell nowadays, not because Tropical Freeze isn't just as high quality as Nintendo's other games (I presume - I've only played DKC Returns) but because indie 2D platformers are of such high quality now, and for a fraction of the price. Do I buy four or five incredible indie platformers for £50 or one incredible Nintendo platformer for £50? It's a situation that doesn't really exist for Nintendo's other first party games: you can't even buy one Nintendo-quality indie alternative to Breath of the Wild or Splatoon 2, never mind five for the price of Nintendo's one.

I'm not necessarily saying fantastic 2D platformers should be cheap, just that they already are and Nintendo is relying on branding and character recognition (as well as ignorance of the competition) more than straight up quality to compete.

You buy Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for 50 quid. Seriously, point me in the direction of indie platformers that do what Donkey Kong does please. I can't think of anything that comes close. The combination of quality, production values and depth is off the charts compared to similar indie titles. It absolutely feels like a full price release and without doubt is worth 50 quid (as long as you don't own it already). 

1 hour ago, Fatsam said:

You buy Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for 50 quid. Seriously, point me in the direction of indie platformers that do what Donkey Kong does please. I can't think of anything that comes close. The combination of quality, production values and depth is off the charts compared to similar indie titles. It absolutely feels like a full price release and without doubt is worth 50 quid (as long as you don't own it already). 

I had in mind top drawer indie stuff such as Ori and the Blind Forest, Shovel Knight, Celeste, Hollow Knight and La-Mulana (this last one looks rough visually, but in every other respect is one of the best 2D action platformers in existence). Even if these masterpieces didn't exist, there's an almost endless array of not quite incredible but thoroughly great 2D side-scrollers that would provide amazing value for £50, many of which I personally think are better than Donkey Kong Country Returns, a game I vaguely remember being pretty good but not as good as Rare's originals. I haven't played Tropical Freeze myself, though, so if it's truly light years better than DKC Returns, as implied by glowing posts on here and Resetera, then I'll have to stand corrected. I'm not spending £50 to find out though. ;)

It is the best Donkey Kong Country Game by a mile.

Ori and Hollow knight are lovely looking and polished Metroid style games rather than pure platformers. The actual platforming doesn't stand up to Tropical Freeze in the slightest. Better to judge them against Super Metroid. They aren't as good as Super Metroid. I hate Shovel Knight to be honest. It looks and feels like a well made budget game though.

2D Indie games in that area you are talking about that have clicked with me are VVVVVV and Guacamelee. But Guacamelee doesn't have the production values of Tropical Freeze and again is a Metroid style game with a big focus on combat. They should charge one hundred pounds for VVVVVV.

EDIT

Actually, to be fair, Ori and the Blind Forest is pretty stunning and is principally a platformer in terms of gameplay. Although personally I wasn't overly keen on the way  you controlled your little guy. So yeah, that's one example of something a little bit more comparable, but quite a bit cheaper. The Microsoft backing helped out there a fair bit I imagine. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Hollow knight is nothing like a metroid game. 

I haven't played it (waiting for the Switch version obviously) but I'm pretty sure that's not true?

Do you mean Shovel Knight?

• Upvote 1

Hollow Knight is great, but I had enough of the RPG elements after a bit. One huge reason why I gave up. Currency gathering and upgrading became a bit of chore. It is certainly a chore compared to Steamworld Dig 2. I mean, the game has a bank  that you feel compelled to trundle to so you can deposit money in because of the fear of losing it when you die. Not exactly the most fun gameplay element ever invented. I'd imagine it'll get a lot of love when released on Switch though.

Actually, given it's related to confusion between the titles, that's also a big part of why I didn't like Shovel Knight. There's some good level design in there, but I found the RPG stuff got in the way of my enjoyment. I'd have far preferred them do a straight 2D platform game, even if he's not exactly the most enjoyable character to control in videogaming.

18 hours ago, ann coulter said:

I had in mind top drawer indie stuff such as Ori and the Blind Forest, Shovel Knight, Celeste, Hollow Knight and La-Mulana

Wait, is La-Mulana on the switch now? Never managed to complete it on the Wii and have had a hankering to retry it for a while.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Anyone know if there's going to be a sale anytime soon? The last one was back in March, I believe. I've got £20 credit burning a hole in my virtual wallet.

There's a selection of stuff on sale every week....

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Anyone know if there's going to be a sale anytime soon? The last one was back in March, I believe. I've got £20 credit burning a hole in my virtual wallet.

There's a sale on today. There's a sale on every week.

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

There's a selection of stuff on sale every week....

Just now, deKay said:

There's a sale on today. There's a sale on every week.

Cheers. I was thinking more of the big sales, like the Spring into Action one. I'll have a look.

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Cheers. I was thinking more of the big sales, like the Spring into Action one. I'll have a look.

Death Road to Canada (Ukiyo ) now €11.99 / £9.59 until Wed 23rd May, normally €14.99 / £11.99

Raging Justice (Team17) now €11.69 / £8.99 until Mon 14th May, normally €12.99 / £9.99

The Fall (Over The Moon) now €6.99 / £6.29 until Thu 24th May, normally €9.99 / £8.99

Disco Dodgeball - REMIX (Zen Studios) now €11.99 / £10.79 until Tue 29th May, normally €14.99 / £13.49

FRAMED Collection (Surprise Attack) now €8.99 / £8.09 until Wed 23rd May, normally €9.99 / £8.99

Fairune Collection (FlyHigh Works) now €8.99 / £8.09 until Thu 17th May, normally €9.99 / £8.99

Runner3 (Gaijin Games) now €23.79 / £20.22 until Mon 21st May, normally €27.99 / £23.79

Energy Cycle (EvgeniyKolpakov) now €2.39 / £2.15 until Mon 14th May, normally €2.99 / £2.69

Letter Quest Remastered (Digerati) now €5.99 / £5.39 until Mon 14th May, normally €11.99 / £10.79

Slain: Back From Hell (Digerati Distribution) now €9.99 / £8.99 until Mon 14th May, normally €19.99 / £17.99

The Coma: Recut (Digerati ) now €9.99 / £8.99 until Mon 14th May, normally €19.99 / £17.99

3D MiniGolf (Joindots ) now €17.99 / £16.19 until Thu 24th May, normally €19.99 / £17.99

Cartoon Network: Battle Crashers (MadCow) now €19.79 / £13.19 until Mon 28th May, normally €29.99 / £19.99

Island Flight Simulator (Joindots ) now €17.99 / £16.19 until Thu 24th May, normally €19.99 / £17.99

Monster Jam: Crush It (MadCow) now €19.79 / £13.19 until Mon 28th May, normally €29.99 / £19.99

UNBOX: Newbie's Adventure (Merge Games) now €14.99 / £12.49 until Thu 17th May, normally €29.99 / £24.99

Azkend 2: The World Beneath (10tons) now €4.79 / £4.19 until Wed 16th May, normally €7.99 / £6.99

Dimension Drive (2Awesome Studio) now €9.74 / £8.99 until Thu 24th May, normally €12.99 / £11.99

EARTHLOCK (Snowcastle Games) now €19.99 / £17.99 until Thu 24th May, normally €24.99 / £22.49

Heroes of the Monkey Tavern (Monkey Stories) now €4.99 / £4.49 until Tue 22nd May, normally €9.99 / £8.99

Puzzle Box Maker (Bplus) now €11.99 / £10.79 until Thu 31st May, normally €14.99 / £13.49

Spy Chameleon (Unfinished Pixel) now €6.79 / £6.11 until Sun 20th May, normally €7.99 / £7.19

Super Ping Pong Trick Shot (STARSIGN) now €2.99 / £2.69 until Wed 30th May, normally €4.99 / £4.49

The Fall Part 2 Unbound (Over the Moon Games) now €9.94 / £8.95 until Thu 24th May, normally €14.20 / £12.79

Tiny Troopers Joint Ops XL (Wired Productions) now €10.39 / £7.99 until Thu 24th May, normally €12.99 / £9.99

World Conqueror X (CIRCLE Ent.) now €7.49 / £6.74 until Thu 24th May, normally €9.99 / £8.99

TorqueL -Physics Modified Edition- (Active Game Media) now €7.49 / £6.74 until Fri 25th May, normally €9.99 / £8.99

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

But I want Steamworld Heist on sale. Or maybe Celeste. Sort it out, dekay.

Then why didn't you buy them when they were on sale before?