Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

I got all excited about the Blizzard collection of old games, especially Rock N Roll Racing, went and looked it up to see what was in the package. Then was disappointed as my old memory had confused the shit RnR racing with the far better Ivan Strongman Stuart.

I used to like Lost Vikings but not enough to buy the collection just for that.

On 11/02/2021 at 21:23, iknowgungfu said:

Is there any way to get a good deal on the £84 voucher thing for the estore.  I'm hankering to impulse buy the new Mario game but feel like spenmding more on the voucher thing is somehow better value for money........:unsure:

Change the region on the Nintendo Account (think I used Russia the last time), buy the vouchers, then change the region back. Took around £10 off. I’ll be doing the same for Mario Golf and Skyward Sword.

Is there a way to change the way the store operates on switch so it shows just titles rather than pictures? Or pages rather than a constant scroll?

I don’t know if it’s just my machine, but navigating the sales kills it. By the time I’ve scrolled down a few screens’ worth, the store hangs for seconds at a time. I mean, literally, I’m pressing down now but I have to wait 5-10 seconds before it will go to the next row of three games then it will hang again. It’s unusable.

23 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

If you've got a game running shut it down and try it. Also reboot the system if you haven't in a while.

I never have games running when I open the shop and shut the system down daily, pretty much (I found sleep mode drained the battery too quickly).

The store is fine when I open it but after I’ve scrolled down a few pages’ worth of the sales it lags terribly. 

Huntdown is superb.

It reminds me a bit of Robocop vs Terminator for some reason (the 2d platforming and single plane shooting, the guns, the violence, the tone. Even Robocop references), but is obviously a much better game.

42 minutes ago, Benny said:

Huntdown is superb.

It reminds me a bit of Robocop vs Terminator for some reason (the 2d platforming and single plane shooting, the guns, the violence, the tone. Even Robocop references), but is obviously a much better game.

You wash your heathen mouth out!

The great, lesser-seen or heard-from Easy Ally Don Casanova really likes Huntdown. He of Neo-Geo and arcade evangelism, so if it’s up his street it must be doing something right:

I can see me buying it two beers from now.

Recently I've been fancying something turn based which I can play whilst watching TV, or while my partner watches TV etc., and initially earmarked a JRPG to fill that role. Not really a genre I play a lot of but for some reason I fancied it. Problem is, the two I have in mind - FFXII and DQ11 are not on sale and I have them for free on Gamepass. 

So been looking at a strategy game instead, specifically XCom 2 for £15 or Civ 6 base game for £14, possibly topped up with the Rise and Fall/Gathering Storm DLC for another £11. 

Anyone got any impressions on them? Firstly, I wonder how they run on the Switch. Heard XCom 2 can be quite sluggish at times, with long load times. Civ 6 apparently is fine until the late game. 

Also Civ 6 has no online multi - is this a big deal? How is the game for solo players? XCom is purely solo with a campaign and stuff, which would keep me busy. But might be a "one and done" thing, which was what Mario Rabbids was like when I played it, though I did enjoy it. 

Most people reckon Civ 6 base game is hugely improved and expanded by the DLC, so I guess getting them while they are on sale is a good idea? I don't have a great amount of experience with games like Civ, though I reckon I'd probably like it. 

1 hour ago, Parksey said:

Recently I've been fancying something turn based which I can play whilst watching TV, or while my partner watches TV etc., and initially earmarked a JRPG to fill that role. Not really a genre I play a lot of but for some reason I fancied it. Problem is, the two I have in mind - FFXII and DQ11 are not on sale and I have them for free on Gamepass. 

So been looking at a strategy game instead, specifically XCom 2 for £15 or Civ 6 base game for £14, possibly topped up with the Rise and Fall/Gathering Storm DLC for another £11. 

Anyone got any impressions on them? Firstly, I wonder how they run on the Switch. Heard XCom 2 can be quite sluggish at times, with long load times. Civ 6 apparently is fine until the late game. 

Also Civ 6 has no online multi - is this a big deal? How is the game for solo players? XCom is purely solo with a campaign and stuff, which would keep me busy. But might be a "one and done" thing, which was what Mario Rabbids was like when I played it, though I did enjoy it. 

Most people reckon Civ 6 base game is hugely improved and expanded by the DLC, so I guess getting them while they are on sale is a good idea? I don't have a great amount of experience with games like Civ, though I reckon I'd probably like it. 

The Banner Saga is hugely atmospheric and #perfectforswitch

Turn-based battles mixed with Telltale style branching storyline. Cracking animation too.

1 hour ago, Parksey said:

Civ is perfect for what you’re looking for I reckon, and in my experience the single player is all you need. If it came down to it, I think I could happily live with only Civ 6 and no other game ever - it’s massively replayable with different nations and ways to win. The base game should give you plenty to start, and you can pick up the DLC in future if you fall in love with it :)

As it happens, I’ve just started playing Xcom 2, but despite owning on Switch am playing on Xbox as I’d heard similar things about sluggishness.