Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

16 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I wouldn't begrudge £20 for the collection, even in the absence of some versions, but the existence of the Turrican Anthology with one more game and a few edits split across two releases just leaves me thinking it's all a fleece job. 

It's definitely a fleece job. Also no c64 versions? As it was the lead format for the first game it seems a bit odd not to include it. 

Turrican is amazing. I got the cart version from Amazon yesterday (£25) - Turrican (Amiga), Turrican 2 (Amiga), Super Turrican (SNES), Mega Turrican (Megadrive), which are the best Turrican games. The soundtracks are genuinely awesome and my son is already humming along to them. I've not played them for nearly 25 years but they look and play exactly as I remember them. You can stick the HUD on a dynamic setting, which means the gameplay window effectively fills a 16:9 screen in the 4:3 pixel mapping mode.

:wub:

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Does it have the proper version of Super Turrican on SNES or the cut version they released?

I believe it's the original SNES release version. The Directors cut from the Analogue Super NT is on one of the Limited Run carts. I was a little disappointed when I first read about it, but saw some reviews on a forum (can't remember where) saying that the restored content is a bit unfinished and doesn't really flow very well? 

And Outrun 2, I don't care if the Ferrari becomes a Trabant due to licencing I just want that sweet drifting action along to Magical Sound Shower. 

Get that Ridge Racer compilation on there too while we're at it. 

6 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

Was Turrican ever good?

Nope. On their key formats they were glorified tech-demos with massively flawed gameplay, in the vein of Shadow of the Beast, which happened to get conversions to other, technically weaker hardware. Either via unofficial emulation or online retail, there's far better games of its era in similar genres that are worth playing long before anything of the Turrican series.

Personally I think they're awesome. Comparisons to Shadow of the Beast are unreasonable I feel - those really were glorified tech demos, whereas Turrican is tough but fair, rewards exploration, and has an amazing soundtrack.

Out of interest, what games in similar genres would you rate above them?

2 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Nope. On their key formats they were glorified tech-demos with massively flawed gameplay, in the vein of Shadow of the Beast, which happened to get conversions to other, technically weaker hardware. Either via unofficial emulation or online retail, there's far better games of its era in similar genres that are worth playing long before anything of the Turrican series.

Wash your mouth out!

Both Turrican 1 and 2 were amazing on my ST and were played through to completion....that never happened with any of the tech demo type of games you're alluding to.

6 hours ago, probotector said:

Downloading panzer now. Not worth £20 but £5 is just right and it hopefully supports sega in releasing some of their better stuff.

Need zwei, jet set radio, Daytona series and Sega Rally now!

Its a pity the Sega Ages line has been killed through lack of sales. Doesn’t really bode well for more, as much as that would thrill me. 

It’s been killed? FFS! They never ever get to the unreleased or rarer stuff as they keep starting at the basic older stuff.

How many times do we get Space Harrier, Sonic 1 and outrun...no one wants them as they’ve bought them a billion times 

32 minutes ago, Popo said:

Its a pity the Sega Ages line has been killed through lack of sales. Doesn’t really bode well for more, as much as that would thrill me. 

I thought it was simply a case of M2 being occupied with projects like the PCE Mini. A shame if poor sales are behind it but to be honest, I've held off on buying stuff like the Sonic series all over again.

The Phantasy Star port was good, though!

58 minutes ago, Popo said:

I'm sure they said that the SEGA AGES line has reached an end, but that they still plan to continue porting old SEGA games.

I heard nothing about sales being the reason but happy to be informed otherwise. I bought them all just to support the work, basically. 

6 hours ago, Superunknown said:

I believe it's the original SNES release version. The Directors cut from the Analogue Super NT is on one of the Limited Run carts. I was a little disappointed when I first read about it, but saw some reviews on a forum (can't remember where) saying that the restored content is a bit unfinished and doesn't really flow very well? 

I actually don't know, I only ask because I read the blurb that came with my NT :P

8 hours ago, probotector said:

Downloading panzer now. Not worth £20 but £5 is just right and it hopefully supports sega in releasing some of their better stuff.

Need zwei, jet set radio, Daytona series and Sega Rally now!

Zwei maybe but the others would need too many changes to be viable.  You'd have to gut Jet Set Radio especially.

7 hours ago, Fletch said:

And Outrun 2, I don't care if the Ferrari becomes a Trabant due to licencing I just want that sweet drifting action along to Magical Sound Shower. 

Get that Ridge Racer compilation on there too while we're at it. 

Good God, I pushed the pos button so hard on this post I nearly tore my phone in two. Both these things need to happen. 

18 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Good God, I pushed the pos button so hard on this post I nearly tore my phone in two. Both these things need to happen. 

I would love these so much, I think someone said when the Switch was released that Ridge was coming but I guess it was wishful thinking. 

9 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

This is wrong.