Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

On 20/01/2021 at 10:33, Grey Fox said:

I loved  Rodland (so much so I own the Jamma board - always loved the code to change the enemies to robots which made it feel like a whole different game) Intrigued to know if the port/emulation in Switch includes the slowdown. In some ways the Amiga port was actually superior.

Shout out to the port to the original GameBoy too - brilliant conversion!

I have just bought it , woukd never have known it existed or was on switch without this thread, thanks

On 21/01/2021 at 16:12, Popo said:

Panzer Dragoon is well worth five of your British Pounds.

Nah. It doesn't have the character of the original, and most of that characteristic feeling was being a decent tech demo for the Saturn with some competent-if-shallow gameplay. There's nothing special about the visuals in the remake, further exposing the shortcomings of the original's gameplay, and it all feels rather imprecise and woolly to control. Give it a miss.

When I played it I was wondering if I was suffering a case of rose tinted glasses then I remembered that it was 2 which I liked and that I had never really rated the first while growing up.

9 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Nah. It doesn't have the character of the original, and most of that characteristic feeling was being a decent tech demo for the Saturn with some competent-if-shallow gameplay. There's nothing special about the visuals in the remake, further exposing the shortcomings of the original's gameplay, and it all feels rather imprecise and woolly to control. Give it a miss.

A few years ago I would have agreed with you - I’ve always considered myself a fan of the series aesthetic and lore, not so much the gameplay - but actually the remake looks nice (if different, and I take your point on the original), plays better than I remember and I think it’s easier, because I was able to play all the way through, unlike the original which is hard as nails. 

I believe the sequel was confirmed for the remake treatment too. 

6 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

I also picked up Forgotton Anne which is lovely, like playing a Ghibli movie. A bargain at £6.

How tricky would this be for a child? I saw a review saying later bits were frustrating.

Can confirm I’ve also had decent fun out of the fiver spent on Panzer Dragoon Remake, and I say that as a fan of the original. 

I agree it loses some of the otherworldly charm of the original’s art direction, while also agreeing that the new art direction has a charm of its own.

If you like on the rail shooters, they type of which they don’t make anymore, you could do worse. No way I would want to spend the full £20+ they originally asked for, but it was added to my wish list on the day of release in the knowledge that it would be both cheap and fixed one day. The performance mode runs great and they’ve sorted out the flight animation and aiming reticle design which were both criticised at launch.

3 hours ago, StoooTube said:

I picked up Panzer Dragoon. Really enjoying it. 

I also picked up Forgotton Anne which is lovely, like playing a Ghibli movie. A bargain at £6.

Nice, I had my eye on Forgotton Anne. Didn't know it was on sale, so thanks. :)

4 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

How tricky would this be for a child? I saw a review saying later bits were frustrating.

I’m not too far into the game, everything has been straight forward so far. It’s certainly a game suited to parent / child play as the story and interaction with the various characters is nice. You usually get two choices of what to say, although I don’t know if this affects the game further down the road.
I’d say my 11yo would manage anything this game throws at the player while my 5yo would struggle. Not sure if that helps?

35 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

I’m not too far into the game, everything has been straight forward so far. It’s certainly a game suited to parent / child play as the story and interaction with the various characters is nice. You usually get two choices of what to say, although I don’t know if this affects the game further down the road.
I’d say my 11yo would manage anything this game throws at the player while my 5yo would struggle. Not sure if that helps?

It does, thanks.

6 minutes ago, mwaawm said:

Turrican is out today....but no ST versions.....I might pick it up in a sale.

I picked  it up for £20 from base. It’s bare bones but if you like Turrican it’s worth a pop. The main QOL improvement is having a button for jump. 

it’s missing super Turrican 2 and it really should have been comprehensive set covering more platforms. 

Turrican is on the switch?!! I'll be having some of that!! Used to effing love that on the Amiga!

EDIT: I've just gone to the store and it's €30. What?!

Honestly, Switch... I want to love you and I want to buy games to play but this is just ridiculous.

I'm so disillusioned with prices on the Switch it's kind of heartbreaking now.

12 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Turrican is on the switch?!! I'll be having some of that!! Used to effing love that on the Amiga!

Honestly, Switch... I want to love you and I want to buy games to play but this is just ridiculous.

It's the same price on the PS4.

9 hours ago, Simmy said:

£25 on Amazon right now. Give it a few weeks and it'll be down to £20 or less and you'll have something to sell on if it disappoints you.

I wouldn't begrudge £20 for the collection, even in the absence of some versions, but the existence of the Turrican Anthology with one more game and a few edits split across two releases just leaves me thinking it's all a fleece job.