Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Gotters

5 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Burnout Paradise vs Need For Speed HP Sauce vs Crash Bandicoot Mario Cars.

All three are in the sale and I’ve not played any of them. What should I get?

Reveal hidden contents

All of them, yes I know, but if I only have the budget for one or two?

Hard to say. Burnout Paradise is good IMO but not at the price it's at. It's an absolute piss-take, as is much of the "deals" on the Switch store.

You're getting nerfed games and paying a premium for it.

Mario Kart if you haven't got that but the others - if you have any console from the last 10 years, get them on there unless you want to pay over the odds to play it handheld.

32 minutes ago, deKay said:

How is Burnout nerfed?

Sorry I should have maybe amended that - Burnout is an older game therefor can run at 60fps. But what does it cost on the Nintendo Switch Store currently as a deal?

By nerfed I mean framerate / graphical fidelity compared to the other consoles.

Now I get that it's remarkable what the Switch can do on such limited hardware but why pay significantly more for that?

5 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Sorry I should have maybe amended that - Burnout is an older game therefor can run at 60fps. But what does it cost on the Nintendo Switch Store currently as a deal?

Now I get that it's remarkable what the Switch can do on such limited hardware but why pay significantly more for that?

Because the game is 4 months old on the Switch Vs 2.5 years old on the PS4 and Xbox? In 2022 I expect Burnout will be a fiver on the Switch as well. 

It’s such a weird argument touting the graphical fidelity of other versions and putting a premium on that yet ignoring that for others the same can be true of what the Switch offers.

Now I don’t care about Burnout but I’ve happily done the same with Civ, Dark Souls, any number of things. I don’t feel cheated about it, Digital Foundry be damned. 

The ability to play a game handheld is a huge, huge selling point for me because it is much, much more likely that I will actually play it and finish it so probably I'm prepared to pay a £10-15 premium just for that feature (provided it doesn't render the game completely janky). In terms of indie games, I'll confess I didn't really "get" them for the most part as weird as it sounds when I was trying to play them on PS4 or Steam. Switch made me appreciate them.

I'm getting older now, I started out playing on Atari ST and my first console was the SNES - basically anything from PS3 era onwards still looks great to my eyes and is perfectly playable. 60fps is lovely and all but it isn't the be all and end all. Convenience is huge plus; speaking more broadly, stuff like Gamepass is a huge plus as is backwards compatibility, ports, remasters and re-releases; SSD drives are more important innovation to me than resolution options.

I think we've gotten off on the wrong foot here - maybe my writing was too inflammatory, I just wanna use my switch more but don't enjoy paying a premium on games.

We're in agreement that £20+ for Burnout on Switch is ludicrous, right?

6 minutes ago, Simmy said:

I think we've gotten off on the wrong foot here - maybe my writing was too inflammatory, I just wanna use my switch more but don't enjoy paying a premium on games.

I think the initial price point was. This sale price isn't too bad though and I think it includes all the dlc? Paying a premium for a premium feature (ability to play handheld) doesn't seem weird to me. 

1 hour ago, Simmy said:

It’s higher frame rate and AFAIK at least as good graphically as the original. No reason for it not to be as the hardware is more powerful, not less! It’s got all the DLC too.

57 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Oh no I wouldn't pay that for it on Switch, I get it free with Gamepass lol.

1 hour ago, Simmy said:

£20 for a cracking 360 game I can play on the go seems like a bargain to me.

2 hours ago, Simmy said:

It’s a dull argument to be honest (and I didn’t think you were being inflammatory or anything!) but I am just fed up of the “this is old therefore it should be cheaper” that keeps coming up with the Switch. I know I’m not alone in appreciating portability and convenience above graphics or framerate in some cases and it does seem to get ignored a lot as it’s an advantage and selling point for a lot of us.

I own an Xbone too and vastly prefer joycons to the MS pad and thought GamePass was a waste of money so I’m hardly typical though, I know this :lol:

I can see both sides of the argument to be honest. When it comes to these older games having high price I think I would only spend the money on things I know I love and will play with the huge bonus of being portable.  So most likely something I've played lots on the original console.

When it comes to paying for a game I've never played before I don't have that (pre) investment in it and I am less likely to feel passionate enough about it to pay up.

As a (sort of) example, had I bought Slay the Spire for PC originally I would have no price buying it again for Switch. In fact I did this very thing with Overwatch.

1 minute ago, mdn2 said:

The original six Bit.Trip games are getting a release on Christmas day. :omg:

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/11/six-part-bit-trip-series-coming-to-switch-on-december-25

Can't wait to play BEAT again.

Oh no. I have an uncanny compulsion to finish Runner on everything... Wii, 3DS, Vita, PS4 so far. With a couple of years in between of course, I'm not that weird ;p

14 hours ago, hazeredmist said:

I am rather addicted to Pure Pool, which had a rocky start with online modes, but seems to be great now! Anyone else playing this?

I will definitely pick it up at some point but I'm already buried in games at the moment. It reminds me of my all time favourite pool game, Bankshot Billiards on the 360 :wub: