Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Lumo was pretty good but it didn't make too many concessions to modern gameplay. So some parts are pretty hard with slightly unkind checkpoints. I gave up at a room with 6 chains you had to swing and jump between. The controls and camera perspective made it a bit of a crap shoot so it frustrated me. Easily worth a punt at £2 if it's caught your eye though.

I finished Lumo but there are some awful difficulty spikes. I’m also pretty sure I missed a chunk of it by not going down a certain route. It’s an ode to 8 bit games so your mileage may vary. If you liked those isometric Spectrum games from the 80s you’ll enjoy the nostalgia trip. 

18 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

It’s lovely to look at, but ultimately pretty dull and forgettable. Probably just about worth the couple of quid or whatever it’s on sale for.

Got it for 50p thanks to gold points then completed it in under an hour in one go. It’s pretty, but there’s very little to it - even less than there was to Journey, as at least that had some mild puzzles and peril.

42 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I am loving Abzu, I think for £15 quid or whatever it would be worth it but it cost me £1.21 with some points so was quite the bargain.

Would seem perfect fodder for @bradigor’s Mental Health Gaming, it’s so relaxing.

Yeah, I have played it but for some reason it never made me feel all that comfortable. I'll jump back in and see if I feel different. 

40 minutes ago, deKay said:

Got it for 50p thanks to gold points then completed it in under an hour in one go. It’s pretty, but there’s very little to it - even less than there was to Journey, as at least that had some mild puzzles and peril.

Completed it in under an hour! I don’t think you really understood the point of the game, it’s not supposed to be a speed run.

That is pure gaming as a box ticking excercise! :lol:

29 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Completed it in under an hour! I don’t think you really understood the point of the game, it’s not supposed to be a speed run.

That is pure gaming as a box ticking excercise! :lol:

I didn’t speedrun it. I explored every area. A fair amount of the game is on rails anyway!

I didn’t really understand the point though. Touch all the fish?

23 minutes ago, deKay said:

I didn’t speedrun it. I explored every area. A fair amount of the game is on rails anyway!

I didn’t really understand the point though. Touch all the fish?

Of course you ‘explored’ every area, otherwise you couldn’t finish it.

But instead of enjoying the exploration, watching the fish, letting them drag you around, meditating to watch them and their interactions, peacefully musing upon the underwater architecture of the world, which is the point of the game, you speed ran it - you sought to zip through the game in the fastest time possible, otherwise there is literally no way you could do it in under an hour.

Like I said, that’s gaming as a box ticking exercise, and you may as well have not bothered playing it. It’s like running through the National Portrait Gallery in an hour so you can say you looked at all the paintings.

8 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Like I said, that’s gaming as a box ticking exercise, and you may as well have not bothered playing it. It’s like running through the National Portrait Gallery in an hour so you can say you looked at all the paintings.

I did this at the Louvre! 

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

Of course you ‘explored’ every area, otherwise you couldn’t finish it.

But instead of enjoying the exploration, watching the fish, letting them drag you around, meditating to watch them and their interactions, peacefully musing upon the underwater architecture of the world, which is the point of the game, you speed ran it - you sought to zip through the game in the fastest time possible, otherwise there is literally no way you could do it in under an hour.

I absolutely didn't zip through it. I took my time. In fact, in an area where you have to activate two chains I got lost for quite a long time until I realised you could get out of the water.

On 31/10/2020 at 21:13, mdn2 said:

Slither Loop has been added to the eshop and it's £2.69 (or 94p if you own one of a load of random games). It appears to be Slitherlink under a new title. 

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Slither-Loop-1859949.html

Whaaaaaaat? I need to check this thread more often.

John Walker explains the premise here https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/puzzle-series-vol-5-slitherlink-review

So, this Abzu lark then....

Rude not to have a punt given the price tbh. It’s a bit like an underwater Gris. Not quite as magical, or gorgeous, but it’s very very floaty, no pun intended at all. And it genuinely reminds me of when I used to dive - the sense of weightlessness is great.  I haven’t tried the meditation but yet but hopefully there’s something in there with more details about the fish - that would be nice.

So in summary, it’s the gaming equivalent of 76:14, you could whack it on, skip through every track and think what’s the point in all this, or you can do what your supposed to do, dedicate some some and just and enjoy the experience. 
Oh and the music’s lovely.