Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

53 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

What is the USP of Hades?

From what I can tell, it is Diablo 3 but with an actual well-written story, but there must be more to it than that. I feel like I have played a LOT of those kind of rogue-likes recently so it hasn't piqued my interest really.

It really isn't like Diablo 3 at all. It does look a bit like it from screenshots, for sure, but it doesn't play like it.

I'd maybe watch a couple of videos on YouTube or something like that to get a feel for it. Essentially though, it's an isometric run-n-gun, albeit with only one gun weapon. You will die a lot, but each time you do you'll power yourself and your weapons up and get further and further with each attempt. It's an amazing game, but it is not like Diablo at all. To the point I would not recommend it to someone after a Diablo-style game.

19 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It's quite difficult to draw a parallel for Hades' combat. I still can't think of a game quite like it. Hyper Light Drifter? But the game is nothing like HLD. Hmm.

I think @robdood nailed it in the Hades thread title - Bayonetta crossed with Slay the Spire. Combat is all* about timing your dodges, deflects and attacks.

*depending on your boons, obviously, sometimes you can just stomp around like the Hulk giving Thor a piggyback ride.

Flipping Death is 80% off. I've only completed the first chapter but adore the style and humour to it. Has a similar vibe to something like Psychonauts with the characters being a mad assortment of freaks and geeks.

28 minutes ago, memories said:

Stories Untold is 50% off at the moment, down to £4.49.

It's totally worth that. Very, very short but what's there is fantastic. 

2 minutes ago, memories said:

Have grabbed it as it's cheap.

Currey on Lonely Mountain, that game had a hard learning curve but pretty rewarding.

Play a story a night in the run up to Halloween - but make sure it's dark and if possible, wear headphones. There's only four stories and run from about 30 minutes to 90 minutes each. But this is the best time to play it. 

Obra dinn was great until a couple of hours in I started feeling the onset of motion sickness.

Hades is great and thankfully plays nothing like the snorefest that is Diablo.

On 27/10/2020 at 19:08, mdn2 said:

Play a story a night in the run up to Halloween - but make sure it's dark and if possible, wear headphones. There's only four stories and run from about 30 minutes to 90 minutes each. But this is the best time to play it. 

2 chapters in and yeah this is a great way to play.

Loved chapter 1, such and atmosphere created with so little there. Had to take my son swimming last night and as we aren't allowed into the building so I played chapter 1 sitting in the dark in my car with headphones in. Jumped several times and had to look around to see if anyone noticed.

Played chapter 2 this morning in the dark as I was up early. Enjoyed chapter 2 but didn't have the scares that 1 did but was an interesting take non the less.

Looking forward to 3 & 4.

Dark and headphones is def the way to go.

5 minutes ago, Marlew said:

If anyone has any interest in arcade games or shmups, please check out Crimzon Clover World Explosion released today on the Switch. It's really accessible but also amazing fun and absolute chaos. It makes the explosions of colour in Lapis X Labyrinth look like Obra Dinn.

https://www.mentalhealthgaming.com/crimzon-clover-world-explosion/

yeah crimzon clover is ace, highly recommended, it's been one of the best games on steam for years, so great that it's coming to switch with a new mode too :D

30 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Didnt it come out on iphone years ago - I recall buying it and it was ok but nothing special then.

It was on ios for a couple of quid. I enjoyed it. but don't think I would buy again on Switch. Switch version seems to be 3 times the price as well. Not sure if it has any more content or if that's just because Switch.

2 hours ago, Alshie said:

It was on ios for a couple of quid. I enjoyed it. but don't think I would buy again on Switch. Switch version seems to be 3 times the price as well. Not sure if it has any more content or if that's just because Switch.

I just redownloaded it, nice little game for £2 and suffers from the usual shit phone touch controls, will be better with physical buttons but not sure its worth much more than £2-3 as a game though.

11 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Damn. As an average I'm buying 4 Switch games a month but only getting through one of them. When will this stop?

I’m being buried with mine. 

On 26/10/2020 at 23:38, Jamie John said:

@teddymeow 

Hollow Knight - the best non-Nintendo game on the console.

Ori and the Blind Forest - joyous and fluid metroidvania that you can 100 percent in less than 10 hours.

Hyper Light Drifter - Top-down Zelda clone with zippy combat, a fantastic soundtrack and fiendish secrets.

Cuphead - Very difficult, but a great challenge and excellent art style. You can do it!

Celeste - God-tier platforming.

Into the Breach - chess mixed with Starship Troopers. Aneurysm-inducing, but in a good way.

YES.

2 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

Rive is currently on sale with a discount of 93% off, at an all time low price of 94p.

That looks (edit and IS) awesome - bought.  Cheers. 

30min blast confirms this is indecent value for money and is exactly what I’m after.