Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

48 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

I’m going to buy $10 credit just for this just because the full name is so pleasing to say. 

Seeing what else I can get with the change - any thoughts on the Deponia series?

I played the first couple of Deponia games. They're alright, but nothing special. And they're far cheaper on pretty much everything else. The Switch ports are stupidly overpriced, even when they're on sale. 

32 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

I’ve always wanted to get stuck into this but since I stopped commuting in March I never get enough time.

I've always wanted to like Ni No Kuni. God, that game is dull. 

55 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I played the first couple of Deponia games. They're alright, but nothing special. And they're far cheaper on pretty much everything else. The Switch ports are stupidly overpriced, even when they're on sale. 

They’ve been less than £4 on the eShop - even less than that currently on the US store.

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

They’ve been less than £4 on the eShop - even less than that currently on the US store.

True, but I bought all four games for £8 on the Xbox last year. 

10 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Where should I go for US credit? Cdkeys is out at the moment. Only just got a Switch Lite a couple of weeks back so am new to this all :) Got a US account set up for review codes already.

PC Game Supply is quick and reliable - picked some up there yesterday.

Add Alan Isolation to the list of games I could play for free with Game Pass on the most powerful console currently available, but have chosen to pay money to get it on Switch because it’s the only bloody chance I’ll get to play it properly.

28 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Add Alan Isolation to the list of games I could play for free with Game Pass on the most powerful console currently available, but have chosen to pay money to get it on Switch because it’s the only bloody chance I’ll get to play it properly.

Yep, I've got it on PC and played it a bit...but in all honesty I'll be getting and finishing it on Switch at some stage

Just now, memories said:

Does it work out cheaper buying US credit to get games rather than just changing the region and buying them with say a credit card?

You need a US card to do that, so credit is the only way for most of us.

2 minutes ago, memories said:

Had it in my head you could do that like you do for the Russian and South African store 

Ahh. They only work because they’re part of the Nintendo of Europe region :)

Gotcha, never tried the US store now that I think about it.

Looked several times at the South America store prices but haven't sussed an easy method for them, stuff is crazy cheap on the Mexican store for example.

Has anyone played the Baldur’s Gate collection or Planescape / Icewind Dale on the Switch?

I’m going for a back operation soon and could do with something meaty to pass the time.

I already have Diablo 3 and my daughter has Pokemon Sword which I’ve never played, but I do fancy some old school RPG action. 

13 hours ago, memories said:

Gotcha, never tried the US store now that I think about it.

Looked several times at the South America store prices but haven't sussed an easy method for them, stuff is crazy cheap on the Mexican store for example.

Eshop-prices gives a guide to buying Mexican credit but I’ve never tried it. 

https://eshop-prices.com/?currency=GBP

28 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

Has anyone played the Baldur’s Gate collection or Planescape / Icewind Dale on the Switch?

I’m going for a back operation soon and could do with something meaty to pass the time.

I already have Diablo 3 and my daughter has Pokemon Sword which I’ve never played, but I do fancy some old school RPG action. 

It's not an old-school RPG as such, but I would wholeheartedly recommend the Switch version of The Witcher 3 if you've not already played it. The game itself is quite possibly my favourite game ever and the Switch port is pretty remarkable. I mean, it looks a bit arse, but there are configurable graphics options to adjust to get it to suit your preferences a little better and the whole game, plus all the DLC, is all there and as playable as ever. Plus, if you have a decent gaming PC, it does cross-saves with the Steam and GOG versions of the game, so you can switch over to playing on the PC once you're home if you'd rather. It's a big old game - I think I've sunk something crazy like 180 hours into it and I've still got the Blood & Wine expansion to go.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is also meant to be amazing on Switch and likewise has cross-save support with the PC version, but I've never played that one myself so can't comment personally.

Picked up Green Hell, the jungle survival game the other week. It's a quality game but the Switch port has some annoyances. The biggest is the cursor controls in the inventory (where you spend a lot of time). The pointer slows to a crawl to help you pick between items which makes life painful, especially when dragging objects out of your inventory which you do quite often. Even worse is organising storage which requires you to manually drag each item across the screen, and although there is a very handy auto arrange function for your inventory, inexplicably there isn't one for storage. Annoyingly the cursor is still too sensitive to accurately target tiny items in your inventory as well. Other than that the console controls are fine.

There are a few bugs, nothing game breaking, but one I repeatedly had was that armour would not show on certain body parts (even with the armour view turned on). Onto performance, the loading times are pretty good (which you only get when starting and loading save games). The game looks decent, its a pretty game in general although you can see its running at low specs here. I watched some YouTube of the Pc version and the Switch is missing a lot of nice details like flying birds, which really would have added to the already great jungle atmosphere.

The frame rate struggles, this is a dense jungle full of interactively, and it gets noticeably worse in thicker areas or where you have a lot of objects placed. Not unplayable but something to be aware of.

Overall its a quality game that I'd still recommend if you can get over the admittedly big inventory annoyances, but I'd definitely take the PC version over this. But if like me your PC can't handle Green Hell, its worth a stab and its quite cheap at the moment too on the e shop. I think survival game The Forest had a much better console port but at least we can play Green Hell without an uber PC now.

One final tip, if you do get it, be aware that when you pick up more than one map, you can toggle map pages witht the shoulder buttons. I had to look it up online as the game never told me you could even toggle between maps.

Is Alan Isolation the one where the Linton Travel Tavern is being renovated so he goes a bit stir crazy after walking to the petrol station for windscreen washer fluid to the point where he dresses as a zombie wearing a show curtain?

MV5BNWZmYWZhMWUtMzQ0YS00MzBiLWE4NjgtOGYxM2E4YThlYWE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTgyMzEyNDY@._V1_.jpg

7 hours ago, StoooTube said:

Good luck with the op!

10 hours ago, StoooTube said:

I'm s-l-o-w-l-y playing BG1 at the moment (with a view to play all the way through II as well) having never played them before. It's undeniably old-school and has a couple of 'got to get used to it' control issues (and tbh I had to turn the difficulty right down) but the core game and narrative is still strong. Best wishes with your op btw.