Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

9 hours ago, Yasawas said:

They’re not essential but they’d make for a smoother experience in what is a Picross game not necessarily aimed at Picross players. 

Delete is not undo. It’s useful when you realise too late you’ve added to the wrong row for example and don’t remember how to revert it. Stopping at the end of a row should be automatic to prevent accidental entries/deletions. Hey,  I can count too! High five. But why should I when I’m not at work? And error checking is an obvious benefit when you can see people on this page spending 20 minutes on a puzzle only to be frustrated as it dawns on them they’ve gone wrong somewhere and it’s too late to unpick it.

But you know all this of course, as the forum’s leading contrarian. I was at least pleased that even you couldn’t defend the music. 

I like the music. Especially the theme tune. Genuinely amazed others don't especially in the context of the game setting - it's properly camp 90s low-drama TV show.

8 hours ago, smac said:

Is he fuck the forum's leading contrarian. Not even after grindmouse left in a huff.

I mean, he's deKay and weird things happen around him and games. And that post was a bit off, I'll grant you that.

Yeah, apologies for that. I play picross without any of those additions as I count squares manually and don't fill rows by holding the button and moving. Bit arseholey of me how I worded it as others may play differently.

10 minutes ago, SteveH said:

No one else excited for Roller Coaster Tycoon 3? Out Sept 23rd. I just have a niggling doubt as to how well the Switch can run a really busy park.

I didn't get on very well with the first one on Switch.  Hope this is better.

5 hours ago, deKay said:

Yeah, apologies for that. I play picross without any of those additions as I count squares manually and don't fill rows by holding the button and moving. Bit arseholey of me how I worded it as others may play differently.

I’m a real cunt when I can’t sleep :hug:

Also inaccurate apparently! 

7 hours ago, Strafe said:

Hotshot racing or Inertial Drift?

I’m getting both. Bit disappointed about how Hotshots Racing has worked out after such a long build up. Tracks don’t seem as technical as I assumed they would be, for example. However, Inertial Drift has only appeared on my radar in the last week or so. 25ish quid for both seems pretty reasonable.

9 hours ago, Tomcat said:

I didn't get on very well with the first one on Switch.  Hope this is better.

Different developer. This is from the actual developer of the PC game, not whatever the fly by night money laundering outfit calling itself Atari cobbled together. 

Switch should have no problem, it's massively more powerful than the PCs this ran on. I'd be concerned only with the interface in handheld. 

4 hours ago, Yasawas said:

I’m a real cunt when I can’t sleep :hug:

Also inaccurate apparently! 

To make up for it you have to listen to the theme song 10 times in a row. 

51 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

What is this Inertial Drift you speak of?

Probably closest to Intial D in terms of the racing. However, the controls use both analogue sticks - left stick for standard left and right, but much more limited movement than usual and right stick for drift. Has good reviews in general.

2 hours ago, Laine said:

To make up for it you have to listen to the theme song 10 times in a row. 

I do like that one actually! It’s the actual puzzle tunes that grate on me. 

I hope I don’t sound like I hate this. I’m on case four at the moment and while it’s not what I hoped it would be I’m still having fun. I’ve always liked the characters and writing, and the puzzles themselves are sound. I’m quite surprised how much I enjoy the timed “hacking” sections too, because if you explained them to me I’d think it sounded like a dreadful idea. 

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Probably closest to Intial D in terms of the racing. However, the controls use both analogue sticks - left stick for standard left and right, but much more limited movement than usual and right stick for drift. Has good reviews in general.

Initial D is my trigger word. To my mind, Sega’s last, great arcade racer. Worst day of my life when I got burgled and found my PSP and Initial D was stolen. 

Controls sound weird, but you’ve definitely got me curious. 

That's a really good point actually. I almost forgot about the fact the Switch doesn't have analogue triggers because I don't really have any racing games on it. Guess this is one for PC then.

Yeah I bought some motorbike game for switch and it's nearly impossible with the triggers. For most car games you don't need the fine analogue control as much, but you need to feather them with motorbikes I think.

I took a punt on Othercide after hearing positive response on 3 Moves Ahead.. Goth Xcom with a bit of darkest dungeon, seems good so far, just barely manages to avoid being too cringy with its commitment to being goth as fuck :lol:. Has an interesting turn order/initiative mechanic. 

I've just started MO: Astray (terrible name), which popped up this week and is only £11. It came out on PC last year and I'd heard good things. It's a 2D linear platform puzzler with horror elements and nice pixel art. 

I'm still in the early stages, but it does seem excellent. So far it's slower paced and more puzzley than this trailer suggests:

Edit: Next bit was some tougher/faster platform stuff.

I feel a bit embarrassed for having maybe seemed to shit on Murder by Numbers a bit the other day so thought I'd point out I managed to stop moaning long enough earlier to finish it. It's pretty good overall you know. A solid 7. I stand by my musical grievances but here's the good:

• I thought it was properly well-written. I see others disagree but I found it funny and not overly drawn out. If I use the most recent Layton game for comparison it's night and day.
  • It looks great. That art style doesn't always work for me but it totally does here. 
  • The puzzles are good. Minimal diagonal stepping patterns, not too many big numbers around the perimeter.
  • Scout.
  • The "hacking" minigame, which sounds like a terrible idea, is surprisingly fun imo. It should be noted that I like the Bioshock hacking minigame too and am therefore maybe suspect on this score.

I finished the first one and it was good fun. The second one isn't as good but there's more of it and both give that satisfaction of feeling something of a clever bastard that Picross gives you even if it is just a glorified jigsaw puzzle. It's worth 3 quid and change.

According to that new feature I really like that shows how long a promotional price runs from the main store page, there's a thoroughly unremarkable looking new release which is only on sale for the next 197 or so days! FFS.

4 hours ago, Quest said:

Glass Masquerade is 75% off, down to £3.23. Not played it myself but keep seeing it recommended around here.

I'm enjoying them both. The second is a little more tricky to be sure, but I powered my way through the first game so this doesn't bother me.

Out of interest,  has anyone notched up the difficulty on the second game? This forces you to rotate pieces which I thought was an odd omission from the first. It really does ramp up the challenge. I'm now going from completing puzzles in 20 minutes to nearer 2 hours. I guess this would be the equivalent of pulling teeth for some people but going back to vanilla mode just seems too easy now.

By the way, it's worth 3 quid all day long.

7 hours ago, Quest said:

Glass Masquerade is 75% off, down to £3.23. Not played it myself but keep seeing it recommended around here.

It's supposed to be relaxing. 

I was telling the bastard scroller of pieces to hurry up and was relieved to complete the tedious thing each time. 

I might not be it's target audience. And I may need help.