Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

1 hour ago, AK Bell said:

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it. Seems like a nice short thing to kill some time before Mario. Everyone should get it.

I disagree with the review slightly though. I did need to Google some solutions as they aren't obvious. I'm not a fan of trial and error-ing everything ...and doesn't help that I'm usually playing tired. I'm not happy if I spend bloody ages trying everything to find I've not actively looked up at something to see it's interactive when I've never had to before. 

Also, performance problems on switch. I think it was down to restarting it from sleep mode the next day but I was getting horrible stalls when it autosaved. Made the pure platforming section in Joy a massive pain in the arse, and restarting seemed to have fixed it. I think.

But they're both solvable problems if you have a smartphone handy and don't mind restarting the game. It's the funniest game I've played.  

Actually, I just got to a platform section where all the platforms are missing. Took a while to realise it was broken and not part of the game. Restart.

Now I got it working again, the platforming section is a fucking nightmare of hoping for blind luck. 

5 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

Actually, I just got to a platform section where all the platforms are missing. Took a while to realise it was broken and not part of the game. Restart.

Now I got it working again, the platforming section is a fucking nightmare of hoping for blind luck. 

Is that the Anger Construct?

Just now, moosegrinder said:

Is that the Anger Construct?

It's just an early on one. Just after Joy. 

There does seem to be an accessibly option to make platforming easier but it doesn't seem any better.

Also, in this game nothing exists if you can't see it on screen. If you fuck up, the platform that crumbles away and reappears won't do so until you get it on screen again. You can only make it appear sometimes after jumping, so constant death. 

It's slapdash is what it is.

Not to be that contradictory cunt (although I'm absolutely gonna be) I didn't bump up against anything. Oh there was a couple of bits in the main 'hub' but most things I did in 2 or 3 goes.

Seriously I'm absolutely mediocre as shit and nothing in this game frustrated me :(

3 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Not to be that contradictory cunt (although I'm absolutely gonna be) I didn't bump up against anything. Oh there was a couple of bits in the main 'hub' but most things I did in 2 or 3 goes.

Seriously I'm absolutely mediocre as shit and nothing in this game frustrated me :(

If you don't fuck up in the first place, it probably works fine. Which is probably why big game companies hire scores of people to find ways to fuck up rather than just play the game. 

I just seem to be having mad bad luck after telling people to get the bloody game!

Actually, just remembered. Early in the game at the first generic big crate that is now a metaphor ... I thought I irreversibly fucked that up too after getting it wedged funny onto a moving platform and I couldn't budge it.

It eventually fell off after I left it for a bit looking up if it was solvable (it wasn't)

And that's why I'm a developer. You can't learn this. It's pure skill. If I was good at games, I'd be shit at making them. 

1 hour ago, AK Bell said:

If you don't fuck up in the first place, it probably works fine. Which is probably why big game companies hire scores of people to find ways to fuck up rather than just play the game. 

I just seem to be having mad bad luck after telling people to get the bloody game!

Actually, just remembered. Early in the game at the first generic big crate that is now a metaphor ... I thought I irreversibly fucked that up too after getting it wedged funny onto a moving platform and I couldn't budge it.

It eventually fell off after I left it for a bit looking up if it was solvable (it wasn't)

And that's why I'm a developer. You can't learn this. It's pure skill. If I was good at games, I'd be shit at making them. 

There's the quote that goes on your gravestone.

6 hours ago, deerokus said:

I've only played the second. The gameplay itself is good but man it's ugly. 

This is it for me. It offers a pretty good diet Advance Wars but everything is so fussy and overdesigned. It's like the opposite of Wargroove, which was beautiful and clear but had all the fun beaten out of it.

9 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I'm so in denial about them. I play the Switch in handheld only in bed really and I'm fucked if I'm taking my fucking glasses to bed so I can play it.

I've got the prescription but still can't face buying the glasses. 

5 hours ago, Yasawas said:

Glass Masquerade is impossible in handheld mode. I can’t imagine it on a Lite. 

You could always use the double-tap Home shortcut to zoom in but they should have done more to help handheld players. 

There's a zoom?

Lite player here. Beat the first game, bit bored of the second. I have issues with both but not being able to play it isn't one of them. 

I find the puzzles just so much less interesting. The images themselves are more messy and how it’s pieced apart very confusing and unclear. Making the whole process much more of a trial and error which becomes tedious quickly. The first game with its clear imagery, variation of shape and the glass fragment pieces meant that you could make educated  guesses the on where each piece laid based in their shape and colour. This one is just a mess. 

I read that the first game is based on real stained glass art which makes sense as it’s just so much more aesthetically pleasing. Shame they went with their own designs for the second one as it’s so much less pleasing. 

3 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

Yeah, second one is a bit shit. I'll power through it on normal, but it's not pleasant in comparison to the first. 

I finished them both - playing mostly handheld - and agree that the first is better, if a tad short. Much better images, clearer shapes and less confusion over colours.

And I really don't like the art style on the second.

But for two quid, I got my money's worth.

18 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

There's a zoom?

Lite player here. Beat the first game, bit bored of the second. I have issues with both but not being able to play it isn't one of them. 

The Switch has a system-level zoom as an accessibility feature accessed by double-tapping the Home button. 

18 hours ago, mrpranny said:

Really enjoying Pix the cat again having played it a ton on vita. Its 89p, or it was yesterday, I need more people on my list playing it for leaderboards!

I'm playing it, but finding It a lot more difficult than I remember. For 89p this is a must-have.

3 hours ago, shirubagan said:

I'm playing it, but finding It a lot more difficult than I remember. For 89p this is a must-have.

yeah the analogues have more give than the vita  but you can just give a slight push and it responds ok. gona try the split pad d pad later, I guess a lot easier. Forgot how addictive the nostalgia and lab unlockables are

I've got up to the third chapter of Murder By Numbers andi it's definitely starting to lose its allure, which is a shame as I was enjoying it until now. The picross puzzles have just arbitrarily decided to become much more difficult and fiddly, with lots of rows and columns made up of 1s and 2s. It would be ok if it weren't for the fact that you never realise you've cocked up until you get towards the end of the puzzle, by which time it's far too late to do much about it and you're better off just starting the whole thing again. Seeing as some of them can take 20 minutes or more to complete (for a Picross newbie like me, anyway) it's a bit of a pain. The game really needs an undo button.

I think I'm going to play something else for a while and come back to it (maybe).

1 hour ago, Marlew said:

Let's be honest, neither you nor I are ever ever going back to that game, for the same reason. 

Aye. I loaded it up again shortly after posting that, did the puzzle I'd previously been stuck on but then immediately ballsed up the next one somehow after 15 minutes of filling in the squares. I'm gonna leave it there, I think, and watch how it all ends on YouTube.

I’ve put hundreds of hours into various Picross titles but there are a few glaring mechanical problems in Murder by Numbers I find off-putting, so I can’t imagine what a new player makes of it. It needs undo, to stop the cursor when it reaches row end, a count function and an error check. I would also appreciate a non-awful soundtrack but I can work around that one. 

Despite this I’m enjoying it a fair bit, it’s not far away. 

Just now, Yasawas said:

I’ve put hundreds of hours into various Picross titles but there are a few glaring mechanical problems in Murder by Numbers I find off-putting, so I can’t imagine what a new player makes of it. It needs undo, to stop the cursor when it reaches row end, a count function and an error check. I would also appreciate a non-awful soundtrack but I can work around that one. 

I’ve never used any of these things in any Picross game. Undo? Delete. Count? I can count. Stop at the end of a row? You’re the one with the controller, just stop? Error check? That’s basically a cheat mode isn’t it?

They’re not essential but they’d make for a smoother experience in what is a Picross game not necessarily aimed at Picross players. 

Delete is not undo. It’s useful when you realise too late you’ve added to the wrong row for example and don’t remember how to revert it. Stopping at the end of a row should be automatic to prevent accidental entries/deletions. Hey,  I can count too! High five. But why should I when I’m not at work? And error checking is an obvious benefit when you can see people on this page spending 20 minutes on a puzzle only to be frustrated as it dawns on them they’ve gone wrong somewhere and it’s too late to unpick it.

But you know all this of course, as the forum’s leading contrarian. I was at least pleased that even you couldn’t defend the music. 

7 hours ago, Yasawas said:

It has an error check. I've used it a few times.

I've actually gone back to this the last few days, just playing through SCOUT's memories (all the bonus puzzles you unlock by playing the story). Very relaxing. And the music is great - the perfect backing for something like this.

Still, when playing the main game I did find that the two parts got in each other's way a bit. Especially as you get towards the end of a case, and there's another big puzzle between every plot point. It's an awkward mix, for sure. 

Excuse me the music especially the song performed by bright light bright light is AMAZING. And there is an error check, you can show hints and fill random squares. If someone’s never played a picross game before it could be tricky but then set it to easy while you get used to doing them.