Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

11 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

I see Hyper Light Drifter is currently on sale atm, I've also been hesitate to play it as the reviews all state how challenging it is.

As someone who had to give us games like Dark Souls, Hollow Knight, Cuphead as I just didn't find them enjoyable as the were so hard and challenging.

But I do like Enter the Gungeon, Dead Cells, Nuclear Throne and Binding of Isaac

Is this game something I'd like and not be frustrated with?

I am absolutely dreadful at video games, and have neither the time, dexterity, nor patience for ‘hard’ games. I absolutely love HLD, but I wouldn’t be able to enjoy it if the easy mode didn’t exist. 

The details of the very distinct pixel style are marvellous, and I’m often torn on how best to experience it - on the big telly (for the colours), or handheld with headphones (for the  lush synth soundtrack).

I haven’t got a bloody clue what the story is about, mind. But then I can watch Akira every few years and still not quite know how it ends. 

3 hours ago, Marlew said:

I really want Captain Tsubasa, but not for fifty quid. I thought it would be a £17.99 job. 

Same here. I’m dying for a decent football game, haven’t played one in about 20 years.

Looks like N64 ISS crossed with weird power shots, so it could be decent but I’m not taking the gamble. 

6 hours ago, mwaawm said:

It superficially looked like a Turrican game prompting my purchase around a year ago but plays very little like he 16 bit games I loved back in the day. Have barely clocked even 2 hours on this compared to having completed Turrican 1 and Turrican 2 a number of times.

I found it pretty similar in look and feel and still really enjoyed it, the directional shooting does change things up quite a lot though. IMO its worth a purchase

I should perhaps give it another go. I think the introduction of A twin stick control mechanic as well as absence of thudding sound effect when gun lord jumps/falls detracted from what I expect in a Turrican game. The absence of nice square wave drums from the sound also made it feel off to me. Probably me having too much nostalgia for the atari st games and those more accustomed to the likes of the contra games will probably love it. Having said that I did enjoy both the snes and megadrive turrican games so don't think it's solely luddite love of the homecomputer version that's preventing me enjoying gunlord.

Talk to me about What The Golf? Does it control OK with a pad as I played some of it through the game app on my Mac and it was fine with mouse controls but seems like it could be a bit fiddly using a pad. 

Help me Gamesmaster, should I buy it for my Switch?

I played it on Apple TV using a PS4 pad and it was fine. I eventually played a bit of it on my phone after that and had even more fun playing it with touchscreen controls, which I think better suited it. Maybe you can use touchscreen controls undocked on Switch as well?

26 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I played it on Apple TV using a PS4 pad and it was fine. I eventually played a bit of it on my phone after that and had even more fun playing it with touchscreen controls, which I think better suited it. Maybe you can use touchscreen controls undocked on Switch as well?

True I forgot about that as I always play my Switch docked, I'll probably go for it and write a post here another day about how it's impossible on a pad.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Sayonara Wild Hearts. Wow. So glad I finally made time for that.

I never understood the love for this. The music and art, sure, but aside from that it's just Yet Another Auto Runner, and not a very good one at that. Maybe it'd be better if the music matched the actions but, well, it doesn't.

I'm not having this.

Even without the absolutely fucking amazing visuals and music (which is a weird thing to exclude anyway - even Spaghetti Bolognase is shit if you take out the cheese and pasta and tomatoes), Sayonara does all kinds of interesting things with the gameplay. The Zodiac Riddles. The World We Knew. Parallel Universes! That last one would form the entire basis for another game from a different developer. Here it's just another four minutes. 

On 15/08/2020 at 19:32, strawdonkey said:

Outing myself as old man casual gamer, but Glass Masquerade 1 and 2 released on Switch recently at about £12 each. They're now in the current sale for three quid for the pair:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Glass-Masquerade-Double-Pack-1788065.html

They're really relaxing jigsaw/stained glass-creation games that fill a similar kind of gap to Picross for me - zero pressure but really satisfying, and three quid for the pair is a nice price (and very similar to the price they've been on Steam for a while).

Thanks.  I really enjoyed the first game, but the second isn’t doing it for me as much.  All the interactions outside of the puzzles are so much more clunky it’s putting me off playing.  I also miss the variety of shapes in the puzzles.

10 hours ago, deKay said:

Well yes. But the gameplay is awful. Perhaps it’s better not on a touchscreen though.

yeah get it on a telly with a good sound system. First time through I kind of agreed with you, but I’d you actually try and get good rankings on the levels it reveals itself to be a very special thing indeed. 

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

After buying A Short Hike and What The Golf, I now notice Go Vacation is in the sale too and I've been waiting for that one to drop in price as my son will like it. Damn you Nintendo. 

I’ve been considering Go Vacation in the sale for the kids too. Have you got it yet?

3 hours ago, The Bag said:

Thanks.  I really enjoyed the first game, but the second isn’t doing it for me as much.  All the interactions outside of the puzzles are so much more clunky it’s putting me off playing.  I also miss the variety of shapes in the puzzles.

I hate the UI in the second but it makes up for it in the harder difficulty - or am I misremembering and was this an option in the original too? Each one takes me the best part of an hour now which I like.

13 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Has anyone completed Spiritfarer? 

going to start it tonight and just wondered a rough length it takes to complete,

cheers 

I'm nowhere near finished, but the Eurogamer review suggested it can take 30-40 hours. It's certainly not short.

EDIT: The times are up on HLTB now. It looks more like 20-40 depending on how much you do.

9 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

I’ve been considering Go Vacation in the sale for the kids too. Have you got it yet?

I'll let you know, I bought it tonight. I know it's a Wii port so not expecting much graphics wise but hopefully it'll keep my son entertained. 

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

I'll let you know, I bought it tonight. I know it's a Wii port so not expecting much graphics wise but hopefully it'll keep my son entertained. 

The sale ends tonight, I’ll probably leave it until next time now.