rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

I found previous games in the Dynasty Warriors series to be lacking because I didn't give a fuck about Chinese history or mythology. Put Cuccos and Deku Baba's in there and I'm already more invested. Also there's a mind boggling amount of content.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, deKay said:

Whose alt are you?

Oh ok. 

Kickmen is a poor game. The humour masks a poor underlying game. 

I'd like a port of Sensi Soccer but no doubt it's lost in licensing hell. 

1 hour ago, PrimalSage said:

Oh ok. 

That is kind of the point though. It's not meant to be a good football game, it is making a mockery of football. The humour works and it drives the game forward. If you approach this game as anything other than the parody it is, then you will be left disappointed. It is easy to critique the mechanics and such individually, but that misses the overall point of the game. One that is cheap and played for laughs and never meant to be a serious game. 

Dan Marshall nails it in that respect and has never hidden the fact when talking about the game and in any marketing produced. 

I am not 100% sure why the follow up is about wanting a port of Sensible Soccer. It's like talking about how you didn't like Leisure Suit Larry, so you want a port of Final Fantasy VI. 

8 hours ago, PrimalSage said:

Oh ok. 

I think you're missing the point of the game. It's a joke game based on a joke with jokes in it.

But it also happens to be a lot of fun.

It isn't supposed to be football, and it's all the better for that.

It's intentionally a bad football game. Whether that makes it a bad 'game' game depends on your sense of humour, the price you paid, the phases of the moon etc

I found the humour amusing and I got my fill of it from his twitter account in the lead up to the game being released - the game itself was shite.

• Upvote 4

Kickman, weirdly is the best Speedball game since the original Speedball 2.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, therearerules said:

So Kickman is intentionally bad?

Intentionally or not, it isn’t fun to play. 

• Upvote 1

I feel the criticisms of the gameplay in Kickmen are pretty spot on. It's a bit of a chore, there's not much in the way of challenge on the default difficulty but as I'm playing for the jokes and to slap Pedro Brutus in his stupid face, I'm reluctant to increase that right now. It's got some neat mechanics, but lacks any real structure on the field, especially in the early stages when your team are crap - as they fan out more at higher levels of teamwork, you can put some nicer moves together, but really you're only doing so to build the cash multiplier rather than out of necessity.

It does, however, make me laugh. I feel I'd love to make a sequel (naturally, I'd need Dan for the humour). I think there's something to the mechanics and rules of the game that could form the basis of something both fun to play and fun to unfold. 

In hindsight, I should have started Kickmen with the cheats on and just ignored the game. But I stupidly started on classic, and just find it a frustrating mess to play to progress with the story. I can't really be arsed to go back and start again. 

I've only played the Switch version of Kickmen, but I found most games would end up with one of the CPU players repeatedly running the ball into a "corner", the ball respawning, the same player grabbing it and running back to the "corner", and repeat ad nauseam.

Even outside that, I didn't enjoy it, and found the humour very sneery. I guess that makes me one of those stupid football people but hey ho.

To be more positive, I sacked off Kickmen for Blossom Tales which is half price at the mo and love it.

5 hours ago, Popo said:

Intentionally or not, it isn’t fun to play. 

I had a lot of fun with it. And then I bought it a second time and had a lot of fun with it again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AK Bell said:

To be more positive, I sacked off Kickmen for Blossom Tales which is half price at the mo and love it.

That's exactly the sort of game I'm looking for at the moment, going to pick it up. 

I like the sound of that. 

I used to be able to lucid dream. It's like a superpower (but the ability faded for me). 

20 hours ago, bradigor said:

Superliminal is out on the Switch and it is totally worth your time. 

https://www.mentalhealthgaming.com/superliminal-review/

I’m going to have to block you if you keep posting reviews. I keep reading about fantastic games that I probably wouldn’t have heard of, and then buying them despite not having time to play any of them at the moment!

21 minutes ago, Stejay said:

I’m going to have to block you if you keep posting reviews. I keep reading about fantastic games that I probably wouldn’t have heard of, and then buying them despite not having time to play any of them at the moment!

I'll start doing some AAA games so I can shit on them instead ;)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

I'll start doing some AAA games so I can shit on them instead ;)

Haha!  Seriously though, loving the reviews.  Great work.

• Upvote 1

Very early impressions of Cross Code are awesome, in gameplay terms it's an unusual mix of dual joystick shooter, puzzle game and a 90s action rpg. Something like Alundra. 

5 hours ago, deerokus said:

Very early impressions of Cross Code are awesome, in gameplay terms it's an unusual mix of dual joystick shooter, puzzle game and a 90s action rpg. Something like Alundra. 

How is the sluggish menus etc that the reviews mention?

Was having a little look in the Coming Soon page on the the eShop yesterday while waiting for CrossCode to become available when I saw this.

Presented without comment, though with a censored NSFW warning

• Upvote 2

I mean... I am all for hidden gems, but surely there needs to be a bit more quality control on the eShop. 

• Upvote 1

Haven't watched the trailer. Is it 'Don't get Caught Wanking: The Game' or something?

• Upvote 1

Spoiler:

Spoiler

It is.

Edit - but the trailer has to be seen to be believed. 

• Upvote 1