rllmuk

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Recommendations for twin-stick shooters on switch?

Have played Enter The Gungeon and Binding of Isaac to death.

I see Assault Android Cactus is on sale?

Edit: Demon's Tier maybe looks a little close to ETG

Riddled Corpses EX (worst game title ever?) is a twin stick shooter which is fairly well reviewed and is only £2.69 on the eshop at the moment. 

Anyone here played it? Edit - there’s a demo available 

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

I enjoyed Assault Android Cactus when I played it last year. It feels fun to play and performance on the Switch is great. I'd say it's a lot more arcadey than EtG and TBoI, though.

I wrote a mini review for the completed games thread:

Spoiler

31. Assault Android Cactus + (Switch)

Assault Android Cactus + is a very enjoyable, highly accessible and increasingly frantic twin-stick bullet hell shooter with a silly name.

As a rule, I don’t tend to gel with shooters, having this year already abandoned the likes of Ikaruga and Danmaku Unlimited 3, but I’d noticed that this game had received some positive reviews, and so, after watching a few YT videos, I thought I’d give it a go when I saw that it was on sale a few weeks ago. As I don’t have much experience of this type of game, the only other game I can liken it to is Nex Machina, which I also completed this year: both games plonk you in the middle of shifting arenas that are very quickly flooded with, literally, hundreds and hundreds of enemies that you have to whizz around blasting through, collecting power-ups along the way, before facing a multi-phase boss battle at the end of each of the game’s five stages.

The biggest difference between this and Nex Machina, however, is that there are no difficulty levels to choose from and you can respawn infinitely. This doesn’t mean that the game is easy, though, as your character is constantly in danger of running out of power (being an android), meaning that you are compelled to pick up the battery top ups that drop at the end of each wave. The challenge comes from killing enough enemies to cause these batteries to appear in the first place, and then from actually getting your character to them, past the swarms of enemies and bullets, before you run out of juice and have to retry the stage. To get a high score, you also have to keep killing to keep your chain combo going. In practice, these two mechanics combine to force you to play aggressively, requiring you to recklessly fire your way through the horde with all guns a-blazing, often taking a hit or two as you do so. It makes a big change from other games of this type I’ve played that encourage you to park yourself as far away from the enemy as possible and make very slight adjustments to your positioning in order to avoid the sheets of bullets headed your way.

Overall, I thought this was great fun to play and very satisfying. From what I can tell, despite the sheer amount of carnage taking place on screen, the Switch version (which is a port of the PC original) is locked out at 60 FPS in both docked and handheld mode; I certainly didn’t experience any slowdown, anyway. It took me about 4 hours to get through the campaign, but there’s a host of extra modes, including a quite frankly alarmingly-frenetic new game+, as well as an endless challenge, a daily challenge, and an FPS mode, not to mention up to 4-player single-screen co-op, which I’m looking forward to trying at some point, although I imagine it may well melt my brain.

Despite seeing the credits, it’s the sort of game that you can dip in and out of very easily, so although I’ll be moving onto something new soon, I’m going to try to come back to this every now ang again to see if I can’t improve my scores for some of the stages. Add me (JamieJohn1990 / SW-2649-7243-6308) if you’re playing on Switch so I have someone to compete with!

7/10 (although this may increase if I spend more time on it.)

If it's on sale I'd say give it a punt. I've since played it in couch co-op as well and enjoyed it, although it gets bloody chaotic at times.

Love Assault Android Cactus so much I picked it up on the Switch despite already having it on PS4.

If I'm completely honest, I find the Switch version a bit difficult to play handheld when my hands get a bit sweaty. Think the Joy-Con sticks are a little small.

But the game is a cracker and in the genre it's only below Robotron, Nex Machina and Geometry Wars 2 for me. 

18 hours ago, wretcherd said:

Galaxy champions.  It’s Smash TV style mayhem. Not easy mind, but great fun. 

2 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Yeee-haw!!

sunset-riders.jpg

Sunset Riders is the absolute best! Last time I played it was via mame on a laptop hooked up to the TV with arcade sticks.

Saddle up!

12 hours ago, wretcherd said:

Thanks guys. Really should get Nex Machina at some point as I loved Alienation.

I loved Alienation too, seriously underrated game imo (going by me not seeing / hearing many raving about it) but Nex Machina, honestly it’s AMAZINGLY good!! Plays like a dream and is polished to perfection!! 

Oh and it’s got a brilliant atmospherically very well suited soundtrack which is on Spotify :)

3 hours ago, merrychan said:

Sunset Riders is the absolute best! Last time I played it was via mame on a laptop hooked up to the TV with arcade sticks.

Saddle up!

Censored version though :( No more kissing the ladies for extra power.

EDIT: I was looking at the wrong bit. Ladies are still in :)

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

US looks to be getting a big sale tomorrow. Interested to see what we get. Not that I need anything.

US sales was live today - I was looking at it on the eShop earlier. Some Nintendo first party stuff but not big savings.

4 hours ago, merrychan said:

Saddle up!

Great game isn’t it – Contra but with cowboys and much more colourful. Can’t go wrong with that. :) 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Great game isn’t it – Contra but with cowboys and much more colourful. Can’t go wrong with that. :) 

Look I’m not starting, but nothing can live up to that surely? Interested. 

Great as it sounds though it means it’s another week where my scant hopes of a Puzzle Bobble game are to be dashed again :(

1 hour ago, Yasawas said:

Look I’m not starting, but nothing can live up to that surely? Interested. 

Great as it sounds though it means it’s another week where my scant hopes of a Puzzle Bobble game are to be dashed again :(

You know of the existence of Puzzle Bobble and Puzzle Bobble 2 on the Neo Geo Archives series, right? ^_^

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

You know of the existence of Puzzle Bobble and Puzzle Bobble 2 on the Neo Geo Archives series, right? ^_^

Magical Drop 3 is on there too and hits a similar pleasure synapse. Oh and not forgetting Money Puzzle Exchanger! 

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, Let us measure said:

Of course! But that’s only two games!

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Omizzay said:

My wife is really into hidden object games.  Any recommendations on the Switch?

If it's cheap, Mom Hid My Game (it's short and silly but I liked it), and regardless of price, Gorogoa probably fits the bill and is excellent.

• Upvote 1