rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

3 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

All the Resident Evil games are at least 50% off on the eshop. I’ve only played 1 & 4 (well 2,3 & CV as well). Are any of the other Switch RE’s worth playing? Or should I just buy 4 yet again?

5 is a poor man's 4. We don't talk about 6 round here. 

Just get 4 again. It's the right choice. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

There's obviously absolutely no reason they couldn't sell them individually but I've heard absolutely no talk of doing that for Borderlands or Bioshock.

I haven’t checked the UK store, but the US store is showing each individual Bioshock game at $19.99 and the collection at $49.99. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

5 is a poor man's 4. We don't talk about 6 round here. 

Just get 4 again. It's the right choice. 

Oh go on then, you’ve twisted my arm.

What about the Revelation series? Worth the budget price.

Just now, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Oh go on then, you’ve twisted my arm.

What about the Revelation series? Worth the budget price.

I loved Revelations 1 back in the day on the 3DS - it probably hasn't aged well now though. Revelations 2 I can't remember much about except the feeling that the whole thing had been done on the cheap. 

My advice, stick with 4.

• Upvote 1

All of the Bioshock games are available separately, looks like for Borderlands though it's more confusing, the original is available and then the 'handsome collection' of 2 and Pre-Sequel is available but those two aren't separated. 

Xcom 2 is up as well, didn't realise that was so soon. Curious how it runs. 

I only glanced at it but Bioshock 2 shows a filesize of about 10GB on the eShop with a blurb saying something like "a 25GB download is required". What. There's no way I'm buying it anyway but that alone would probably have put me off. Make up your fucking mind.

5 hours ago, deerokus said:

Xcom 2 is up as well, didn't realise that was so soon. Curious how it runs. 

How is RE4 in portable mode? Does it control well when aiming? I've had some fps games that I find hard to play with the joycons. 

What the Golf. I caught this just before the sale ended. Had a quick dabble and it's proper bonkers.

Ironically it's the perfect game for a long commute or that 7 hour flight to a holiday destination. Levels generally only take a few seconds to complete and you're straight onto the next one, so the just-one-more-go factor is super strong. It's really like nothing I've played before. Katamari, yes, but less taxing and snappier. A bit of Angry Birds I suppose, but much better.

It's labelled as,  'golf for people who don't like golf,' but I like golf and I love this.

Even navigating around the building to find new levels is a joy. Creativity leaking out of every pore.

The Switch touch controls work great.

Highly recommended.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Mawdlin said:

What the Golf. I caught this just before the sale ended. Had a quick dabble and it's proper bonkers.

Ironically it's the perfect game for a long commute or that 7 hour flight to a holiday destination. Levels generally only take a few seconds to complete and you're straight onto the next one, so the just-one-more-go factor is super strong. It's really like nothing I've played before. Katamari, yes, but less taxing and snappier. A bit of Angry Birds I suppose, but much better.

It's labelled as,  'golf for people who don't like golf,' but I like golf and I love this.

Even navigating around the building to find new levels is a joy. Creativity leaking out of every pore.

The Switch touch controls work great.

Highly recommended.

I'll second that and add that my 7 year old also loved it especially the two player co-op with its mental characters.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sane said:

How is RE4 in portable mode? Does it control well when aiming? I've had some fps games that I find hard to play with the joycons. 

I thought it played really well. No gyro controls though which is a shame.

On 28/05/2020 at 15:32, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

All the Resident Evil games are at least 50% off on the eshop. I’ve only played 1 & 4 (well 2,3 & CV as well). Are any of the other Switch RE’s worth playing? Or should I just buy 4 yet again?

Tempted for 4 again. 
I do have it on the GC upstairs though so you know, what’s the point...

It’s not about point though is it?

I replayed through RE4 in portable mode on an OG switch and continued on the Lite when that launched.

It's completely brilliant :D

Played a couple of hours of Xcom 2 last night and while not the prettiest it plays really well. 

On 29/05/2020 at 13:42, Ork1927 said:

I'll second that and add that my 7 year old also loved it especially the two player co-op with its mental characters.

100% finished this after 10 hours. Perfect indie game. 

• Upvote 1

I have Mana Spark but they’re not showing as free :(

They're weird. I only found out as it came up on the news page when I turned the switch on this evening.  I only bought mana spark a day ago too.

Bought RE4. Got to the village and realised that I don't think I can be arsed with this game.  Feel like I am fighting with the controls all the time. A shame. I really wanted to like this despite its age.

I had it on the Wii but never got far with it either. Bought originally mainly on the basis of THAT Edge front cover.

Never mind eh. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

Bought RE4. Got to the village and realised that I don't think I can be arsed with this game.  Feel like I am fighting with the controls all the time. A shame. I really wanted to like this despite its age.

I had it on the Wii but never got far with it either. Bought originally mainly on the basis of THAT Edge front cover.

Never mind eh. 

Stick with it. I felt exactly the same as you - played it for about 45 mins on PS4 and found that the controls were too much and left it, then went back a few months later and absolutely loved it.

The best advice I can give is to simply not touch the right stick at all. The game was designed with the Gamecube's ubercrap C stick and it doesn't use it. Practise centring the camera behind Leon using the shoulder buttons instead.

• Upvote 1

If that post isn't enough to bring back negs then I don't know what is.

• Upvote 7

Meanwhile, I bought REmake - the loading times are diabolical considering it’s just an HD update of a GameCube game but it’s still a brilliant game. Recommended. 

6 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

Reviews for 51 Worldwide Classics are out, currently sitting at 86 on Metacritic

Some reviews:

Can't wait for Friday to start playing this.

That looks so cool! But since we can’t do local play right now, and the first video describes such a meagre selection of games that support 3-4 players for online play, I can’t help but wonder if it’s really worth the while?

On 31/05/2020 at 22:28, Jamie John said:

Practise centring the camera behind Leon using the shoulder buttons instead.

Isn't the camera permanently fixed behind Leon in RE4?

6 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

Lord knows I don't need this fucking game.

Will obviously buy it.

The £35 price tag is saving me from this thankfully. At £20 it would be in impulse territory. 

I lasted 3 days but I own the Bioshock Collection now. "Not travelling to work" is the new "I've given up smoking" for me in terms of justifying silly purchases but it's undeniably fun to have these games playable where and whenever. I had them on X1 already but I'm no fan of that controller or waiting circa THREE FUCKING MINUTES for a console to boot up regardless of how many frames per K or whatever it might be on there.

• Upvote 2