rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

3 hours ago, CovisGod said:

Just seen Don't Starve on the eShop, when did that happen!? Didn't even know it was due out on Switch, its a game that's sat on my Steam wanted list for ages but I've never pulled the Trigger, anyone recommend or is it shit? 

It is generally spaffed over...but I just hated the art style and just couldn't get on with it.  I love survival games too.  :(  Maybe I'm just weird, don't listen to me!

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dont-starve/critic-reviews

• Upvote 1

BAFL looks great. Always loved Super Sprint-style games, the sadly overlooked and forgotten Driift Mania on Wii provides me and a friend with so many hours of fun. If the price is right, I’m prepared to give it a punt. 

:wub: 

EDIT: It's £4.49, so yeah, I'll take a punt on it this Thursday.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shirubagan said:

EDIT: It's £4.49, so yeah, I'll take a punt on it this Thursday.

Feedback request please!

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, CovisGod said:

Just seen Don't Starve on the eShop, when did that happen!? Didn't even know it was due out on Switch, its a game that's sat on my Steam wanted list for ages but I've never pulled the Trigger, anyone recommend or is it shit? 

Found the whole thing fairly dull on PS4. I definitely remember enjoying it to start with but also that I got to a point where I could survive and didn't really know what to do next. Maybe I never really understood it properly.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Hylian said:

Found the whole thing fairly dull on PS4. I definitely remember enjoying it to start with but also that I got to a point where I could survive and didn't really know what to do next. Maybe I never really understood it properly.

That about sums up my experience too. 

Can someone do me a quick favour, please? I pre-purchased Manticore Galaxy in Fire which was obviously delayed. The eshop says it's out now and I've purchased it however when I try to play it I get a message telling me the software isn't ready to be played yet. 

Can someone check the store to see if the game is actually released and available to purchase? Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Saint said:

Yes, it's available to buy right now on the UK eShop.

Cheers. Gave up trying so just deleted the original install and re-downloading now.

On 17/04/2018 at 13:02, CovisGod said:

I love Don't Starve. It's quite a brutal unforgiving roguelike, a really hard 2D top down Minecraft survival mode. Your aim is to just survive at first, then make it through the first winter, then build up a fully stocked base camp. Beyond that you start exploring underground - that's when things start to get really tough.

The Switch version includes the single player DLC Reign of Giants - which I wouldn't touch until you're very familiar with the base game - and Shipwrecked which is more forgiving but I'd still be inclined to play the base game first.

There's perma-death, frustration and a lot of game mechanics to get your head round but when it all clicks it's very, very satisfying. I also love the art style. Not for everyone but if you can find the time to figure it out and resist the urge to uninstall it when it punishes you, you'll be rewarded with a surprisingly intricate and intense little game.  

• Upvote 1

I spoke to soon. So despite buying Maticore months ago and downloading it 3 times now, it just won't let me play it, saying it isn't released yet. Looks to me like it's pointing at the original file which was withdrawn. Either way Nintendo are now investigating... 

1 hour ago, BubbleFish said:

I spoke to soon. So despite buying Maticore months ago and downloading it 3 times now, it just won't let me play it, saying it isn't released yet. Looks to me like it's pointing at the original file which was withdrawn. Either way Nintendo are now investigating... 

The eShop quite often doesn't update until around 2-3pm - wonder if there is a particular time it's also locked until maybe?

In terms of the file, I believe you need to have 1.0.2 - that's the updated release version.

I'll find out when I get home, as I too have it pre-ordered and already downloaded just the same...

@rgraves Bought BAFL and am having a blast with it. You auto-accelerate and have a Nitrous button with three uses. You have a health bar for impacts and scrapes, which stops and repairs you when it reaches zero. Pitting in repairs you fully and restores your Nitrous. You can cancel out at any time with a boost. 

Arcade mode is 10 races on courses with a variety of environmental traps and themes. There’s a race around an inverted pentagram set in Hell and one in Jurassic Park, ice levels and one with a pirate ship which shoots cannonballs on the track which get in the way like giant marbles. You can upgrade your car between races with points awarded for placing and tokens picked up on the track, like the wrenches in Super Sprint. 

There’s a single player Challenge Mode for setting times and perfect distances on courses (without hitting the walls), though can’t seem to see whether these boards are online. I bloody hope so. 

I also wish I had friends to play this with. My brother and nephew are getting forced to play this when I see them next. 

For £4, this is a steal, just ignore the horrible, horrible tile on your home screen. 

Edit: oh, and presentation is great — all of it is top-down driving around the mode selects and challenges. 

• Upvote 1

Can someone take a punt on Ninja Striker please?

Edit: and Wild Guns Reloaded. Reminds me of Cabal. 

Wait, Wild Guns is £27!!!! Fuck that. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Can someone take a punt on Ninja Striker please?

Edit: and Wild Guns Reloaded. Reminds me of Cabal. 

Wait, Wild Guns is £27!!!! Fuck that. 

Yeah I've been waiting to pull the trigger on the ps4 version, it's £29iirc and has been on sale once for £11... So tempted... 

A modern version of Cabal! Now there's a game I never knew I needed. I'll buy it...at a low price.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, rgraves said:

The eShop quite often doesn't update until around 2-3pm - wonder if there is a particular time it's also locked until maybe?

In terms of the file, I believe you need to have 1.0.2 - that's the updated release version.

I'll find out when I get home, as I too have it pre-ordered and already downloaded just the same...

Working for me now. That said the first few levels really show the titles mobile phone origins with really bitty levels. Hopefully it'll start to open up soon.

Just read an item in the Switch's news section about Regalia: Of Men and Monarchs and its crazy load times. Apparently the load times are 'much longer' when the game is installed to a micro SD card rather than the system memory, so I'm about to try reinstalling to the system and seeing how much faster the loads are. The developer is also working on improving load times further still and has just submitted a patch that enables auto-loads instead of having to keep pressing A after each one, which was really irritating.

Awesome to see they're actively working to improve things. I've never heard of the developer or publisher and thought they might just bail on the game after release.

Wait. The game IS installed on my Switch's system memory. :blink: If this is the fast version, I hate to imagine what the loads are like on micro SD.

I took a £4 punt on Brakes are for Losers - I won't be too hard on a cheapo like this but its no Ivan Strongman or Super Sprint. 

The tiny cars fly round the track and its quite hard to see where you are sometimes (I was playing on a big screen too) - the races themselves are quite short but somehow manage to be quite tedious at the same time as its who does the most laps in the time period (in the championship mode I started with anyway). The handling is quite light but not as floaty as the launch trailer may suggest, but there isn't really any significant feeling of weight or inertia on your car.

That said there does feel a few modes/tracks here and you can get a lot of people on at once if you have the joycons - its only cheap but initial view is a bit 'meh'

On 4/12/2018 at 16:20, shirubagan said:

The Adventure Pals looks like a lot of fun.

Anyone know if this is any good? It looks like it'd be right up my alley. The art style reminds me of a platformer for the 360 that I can't remember the name of. It was on Games With Gold years ago.

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Anyone know if this is any good? It looks like it'd be right up my alley. The art style reminds me of a platformer for the 360 that I can't remember the name of. It was on Games With Gold years ago.

It's a great little game. Beautiful design, great music, genuinely quite funny in an "Adventure Time" kind of way. Starts fairly easy but I'm about halfway through and it's definitely getting more challenging with some good level design. Some of the enemies and pickups are randomly generated too which helps keep it going. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

It's a great little game. Beautiful design, great music, genuinely quite funny in an "Adventure Time" kind of way. Starts fairly easy but I'm about halfway through and it's definitely getting more challenging with some good level design. Some of the enemies and pickups are randomly generated too which helps keep it going. 

Is the main story co-opable from start to finish or is the co-op a separate mode? 

You can pre-order the rather lovely looking Norse-themed action adventure Jotun for around 4 quid on the Russian store (released next Friday). Has to be worth a punt at that price.

Yoku's Island Express will release on May 29 for Nintendo Switch, PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One! :omg: Digital only for now and the game will cost £15.99/€19.99/$19.99.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

That Korg thing is out next week, 35 quid.

strewth, it looked interesting but not £35 interesting, that needs to be in a sale at at least 50% off before I think I'd be tempted

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

strewth, it looked interesting but not £35 interesting, that needs to be in a sale at at least 50% off before I think I'd be tempted

Yeah I know I was thinking that. Especially after I've just bought GoW and I'm getting Labo delivered next week. 

Been checking out the Mac and iOS prices and they're expensive on those too. Obviously the Mac version is a fully featured production studio but even the iOS one costs $40, and Korg do make very nice products.

Hmmm. I’m not in for £35. Get it under £20 and I’ll bite. Pretty sure I won’t get full value out of it. Just summat to tit about with when not playing stuff. Oh well.