rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

4 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Yeah, Rune Factory is out in the US today. Because I was so looking forward to playing it I got some US eshop credit off play-asia and bought it that way. Bit more expensive than just buying off the UK shop, but I'm ok with that.

What I'm not so ok with, and feel a bit nervous about now, is that I might have unwittingly broken some kind of US financial law in doing so. I wasn't expecting to be asked to input a zip code at the eshop checkout - when does it ever ask you for a postcode on the eshop? - so I stuck in a New Hampshire zip code and that was that. But the zip code is for tax purposes, isn't it? And I'm thinking it's very not ok for people to be putting in codes for places they don't live when the purpose is to calculate tax owed.

Has anyone else gone through this process on the US eshop? Either with credit purchased elsewhere or with a revolut credit card or whatever? I would really rather not be extradited to America and imprisoned for being too impatient to wait three days to play a Japanese farming simulator.

It is my sad duty to inform you that you face the death penalty. Enjoy your final hours with Rune Factory and may god have mercy on your soul.

• Upvote 3

Poor Ann. At least he'll have his Switch and Rune Factory to keep him company in prison. 

Should have used the home address of the real Ann Coulter, would have stood a much better chance of evading trouble. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ABenevolentGod said:

Doom 1 and 2 both down to £1.20 and Doom 3 is £2.40! 

Cheers for the heads up, nearly bought them on Xbox one. You truly are a benevolent god.

• Upvote 2

Doom 3 Switch is bigger than the Xbox version, bizarrely. 8.8 GB Vs 7.18 GB. Still bought it on Switch, but it's a bit odd. 

2 hours ago, ABenevolentGod said:

Bought!

Is it okay  to admit I have never bought any Doom game before? I now own Doom 3.

7 minutes ago, Kieran said:

Is it okay  to admit I have never bought any Doom game before? I now own Doom 3.

You should have gone with either 1, 2 or 2016. Doom 3 is the least 'Doom' game of the lot. 

7 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

You should have gone with either 1, 2 or 2016. Doom 3 is the least 'Doom' game of the lot. 

Thanks. Think I will break the bank and get 1 and 2 as well.

• Upvote 2

It's not a bad game but it tries for a more horror approach than the others. You should definitely give it a go, but it's not your typical Doom experience. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Did the console version of doom 3 keep the flash torch switch mechanic ? 

The original Xbox release back in the day did. These new versions are based on the BFG edition though. 

• Upvote 1

I considered Doom but have played it enough, but I did get Picross S which is excellent. 

10 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

The original Xbox release back in the day did. These new versions are based on the BFG edition though. 

And it kind of sucks. I get why people didn't like the tension introduced by the mechanic but I loved it. Without having to switch it loses some of the horror elements.

I wish it was part of the difficulty settings. So baby mode has an always on shoulder light, middle mode has battery draining shoulder light, veteran has OG DOOM3 rules and Nightmare you have a box of safety matches.

I have Doom already which had Sigil added recently via that big patch, is whatever Doom II got at that time worth playing too?

Away from DOOM talk. Voxelgram is out this week and it is fantastic. Takes a little getting used to the added camera controls, but plays a bloody good game of Picross. I'll have a review at the weekend for it. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Away from DOOM talk. Voxelgram is out this week and it is fantastic. Takes a little getting used to the added camera controls, but plays a bloody good game of Picross. I'll have a review at the weekend for it. 

It's out tomorrow! But you can't pre-order it in the store. :hmm: I've been dying for a new Picross 3D so I'm hoping this scratches that itch. 

Uh-oh.

Picross is digital crack. Don't tell me there's a version out there with more dimensions...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Yasawas said:

I have Doom already which had Sigil added recently via that big patch, is whatever Doom II got at that time worth playing too?

Doom II got the same content.

Rune Factory 4 is brilliant, good lord. I'd only played RF1 on the DS, which was fun but fairly basic, and a decent spinoff on the Wii (Frontier?), but 4 is leaps and bounds ahead of both of those in so many respects. The wonderful Stardew Valley is, I now see, a total rip of this 2012 3DS game.

Obviously there's the main Harvest Moon farming hook, but RF4 also has a town full of NPCs wandering about all over the place, going into shops, doing jobs, visiting each other, almost all of them with new dialogue every in-game day so far. And monsters to kill or tame, in order to then farm for wool, eggs etc, or put to work in your farm, or fight alongside you, or for you to ride about on Pokemon-style. And instead of a basic Stardew Valley mine with 100 floors to fight through, you're going out into a top-down overworld to explore and fight.

There's full touchscreen compatibility when navigating menus, sorting your inventory, advancing dialogue, and even some bizarre and seemingly pointless gyro implementation for spinning your character model about in the equip screen. A great port so far, in other words.

The farming plot looks absolutely hideous at first, but once you've cleared it up and got a bunch of stuff planted it looks much better. And although only opposite-sex lechery is permitted, you're apparently given an option later in the game to switch the sex of your character's sprite, voice and dialogue portrait, giving the illusion of gay interactions. Why it's not available right from the start I don't know. Japanese publishers being weird, maybe.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

On the 3ds there's two of them. Apparently I put 140 hours into the second one, but I've no idea how.

You started playing. 140 hours later, you raised your head, stared blearily out at the world, and tried to unclamped your now claw-like fingers from your DS, wondering where the time had gone.

If you're anything like me when playing Picross.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ann coulter said:

Rune Factory 4 is brilliant, good lord. I'd only played RF1 on the DS, which was fun but fairly basic, and a decent spinoff on the Wii (Frontier?), but 4 is leaps and bounds ahead of both of those in so many respects. The wonderful Stardew Valley is, I now see, a total rip of this 2012 3DS game.

Obviously there's the main Harvest Moon farming hook, but RF4 also has a town full of NPCs wandering about all over the place, going into shops, doing jobs, visiting each other, almost all of them with new dialogue every in-game day so far. And monsters to kill or tame, in order to then farm for wool, eggs etc, or put to work in your farm, or fight alongside you, or for you to ride about on Pokemon-style. And instead of a basic Stardew Valley mine with 100 floors to fight through, you're going out into a top-down overworld to explore and fight.

There's full touchscreen compatibility when navigating menus, sorting your inventory, advancing dialogue, and even some bizarre and seemingly pointless gyro implementation for spinning your character model about in the equip screen. A great port so far, in other words.

The farming plot looks absolutely hideous at first, but once you've cleared it up and got a bunch of stuff planted it looks much better. And although only opposite-sex lechery is permitted, you're apparently given an option later in the game to switch the sex of your character's sprite, voice and dialogue portrait, giving the illusion of gay interactions. Why it's not available right from the start I don't know. Japanese publishers being weird, maybe.

It's good that you liked it considering you're facing a hefty fine or prison sentence for buying it.

20 hours ago, ABenevolentGod said:

I've bought these and given the first one a go, and it made me remember that while I'm not a fan of FPSs these days, I did enjoy them early on. Although not quite this early - my first one was Dark Forces and then a couple of years later Quake 64 and then inevitably Goldeneye. So it's nice to go back to an even simpler game than those. I can finally see what all the fuss was about, although ironically I'm finding the lack of vertical look frustrating...

But anyway - is there any way to zoom or scroll the map in Doom?