rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

My eShop haul this Christmas was Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Layer, Atelier Arland Trilogy and Collection of Mana. Impossible Layer is great from what I've played so far, I've played the Arland games on the PS3 and on the Vita where they didn't run very well but I couldn't pass up all three for £48 and as someone who's never played Secret of Mana the three games in the series for £17.50 was too good to miss. 

• Upvote 1

Rush Rally 3 is superb. I've only played it in handheld mode so far, finished the first championship, and it is silky smooth. Looks fantastic, too. Excellent game.

I’ve really been enjoying Gris the last few days. It’s perfect for these lazy slow days between Christmas and New Year - a slow, atmospheric, and utterly beautiful puzzle-platformer that is just captivating. It doesn’t require quick reflexes, you can’t die or fail, you just get gently stumped by each puzzle until you work it out and move on to the next. The visuals and sound are wonderful. It’s under a tenner in the sale, so if you fancy a nice chillout game in between killing zombies or whatever, I highly recommend it.

• Upvote 7

31 minutes ago, Darren said:

I’ve really been enjoying Gris the last few days. It’s perfect for these lazy slow days between Christmas and New Year - a slow, atmospheric, and utterly beautiful puzzle-platformer that is just captivating. It doesn’t require quick reflexes, you can’t die or fail, you just get gently stumped by each puzzle until you work it out and move on to the next. The visuals and sound are wonderful. It’s under a tenner in the sale, so if you fancy a nice chillout game in between killing zombies or whatever, I highly recommend it.

I replayed it over Christmas. I think it's probably my favourite of these sorts of games. It's just so pretty. :wub:

• Upvote 1

KORG Gadget is finally on sale. I've had my eye on it for a while. Only 20% off but this makes it £21 on the Norway store. Apparently they patched in touch controls (about to find out!) and although you still can't export your tracks to PC, you can export them from the Switch to the iOS version with a QR code which does then let you export as a WAV file. Not that I'll ever create anything worth exporting.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Darren said:

And finished. What a beautiful experience.

• Upvote 2

Almost a year since my last mass eshop mini reviews (spoiled below)

On 13/01/2019 at 19:31, therearerules said:

Some quick reviews of e-shop only guff I've bought and either completed or given up on, with a patented get/maybe get/avoid rating:

• Oxenfree: Brilliant ghost story game with the nods to 'gameplay' (collecting hidden letters) possiobly the only thing letting it down. Get.
  • Axiom Verge: Metroid clone. Get.
  • Pan-Pan: Oddly boring puzzle game which feels as cheap as it is. Just a bit pointless. Avoid.
  • Hollow Knight: You know this one. Get.
  • Yoku's Island Express: I had fun in all the pinball parts, but the platforming bits were boggy. Maybe get.
  • Gorogoa: Beautiful puzzle game, although the puzzles are very simplistic. Feels like the iOS port it is, and therefore slightly overpriced. Maybe get.
  • Alteric: A cheap platfomer I downloaded because I enjoyed the platforming in Hollow Knight so much, but was too cheap to buy a proper 2D platformer. Deleted after a few levels because it was utterly tedious and devoid of charm. Avoid.
  • Plague Road: Too expensive at 60p or whatever I played of it. A procedurally generated SRPG, ugly as sin, and completely repetetive. After an hour I'd fought the same boring battles against the same boring monsters enough times to make me scream. Avoid, and then avoid again.
  • Subsurface Circular: You're a robot talking to other robots, trying to solve a robot murder and occasionally give directions. There's one puzzle. Then the game ends. You never move. Avoid.
  • Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes: The same bomb defusing fun as on the PC except I can play it at my local boardgaming club and look like a wizard when I detatch the joycons and kickstand the switch. Get, unless you have nobody local to play with :(
  • Undertale: When Neg recommends a game you assume it'll be terrible, but actually I fell in love with this along with the rest of the gaming population. No more to add. Get.
  • VVVVVV: Loved it on the DS and love it here. 2D platforming with a proper retro feel (spectrum/c64 rather than NES). Instad of jump you invert gravity. That's the gimmick, and it's milked for everything it's worth. Incredibly good, and with a lot of bonus content. Get.
  • Bulboy: I think everyone bought this cheap in the Halloween sales, which is appropriate. A spooky point and click in which you, a disgusting boy, kill disgusting monsters in a disgusting house. Not puzzly enough for me for a P&C, but not terrible. Try.
  • Pinball FX3: Recommended by good folk here in the forum as the best pinballer. One table free, but I eventually bought almost all the others. Brilliant, and it's why I want (need) a FlipGrip. Get.
  • Inside: It's like Limbo (run from left to right learning how not to die a gorgeous death by dieing repeatedly). Not much there to go back to, but I got it for cheap and now the price won't show on my Switch. Get (probably, definitely if in a sale).
  • The Adventures of Bertram Fiddle: Point and click in victorian London. Instead of jokes the Characters say things like 'photomograph' in a silly voice. Unfinished story, which actually was the only thing keeping me going. Avoid.
  • Kamiko: 2D top down hack and slash I thought would be like Zelda, but actually it's like the start of Zelda where you only have a sword and nothing interesting happens. There's a combo mechanic, but its easy to hit your limit, rendering it pointless. Avoid.
  • Slime-San: Yet another 2D platformer with a retro aesthetic. Timed levels and some abilities to differentiate it, but it's not realy that differentiated. Alright, but it's no VVVVVV. Maybe get.
  • Minit: You've got 1 minute to complete Zelda! That's the gimmick, and it works. I really enjoyed this, got a bit stuck at the end where I didn't realise I could damage something I thought was just scenery, but otherwise some good puzzles and unique gameplay. Fun. Get.
  • West of Loathing: My pick of all my e-shop games! After a number of shallow games, what I initially thought to be a shallow RPG parody blossomed into a full fat western. Genuinely hilarious, big (but not overbearing) with multiple storylines and spittoons, and very, very clever. Exceptionally good. The first thing I wanted to do upon completion was go back to it. Get, and then get it again.
  • Human Resource Machine: My second suprise hit. Programme a little man to do maths using a limited number of inputs. This game succeeded in making me feel very clever, even if my prime factor decomposition machine wasn't the most efficient, the fact it was mine made it special. The only downside is its brevity: logic graduates and maths teachers can finish this in 5 hours, apparently. Similar to other logistics games, I have no urge to make things more efficient, which would extend it for me. Superb. Definite Get.
  • The Long Reach: Another mediocre point and click. This is meant to be a horror one, but the pixel art and constant wisecracking from the lead detract completely from that. Similiary, halfway through it appears to be going somewhere interesting with an unreliable narrator and time jumps. Spoiler: nothing of interest happens, it quickly settles into boring horror tropes and the story forgets interesting things occured. Avoid.
  • The Count Lucanor: You are a small snot nosed brat (good), and want money. Why not enter a horrific Grimm fairy tale to get it? Because you'll end up waiting for 5 minutes for a demon to walk away from a candle so you can move. If it weren't for the 'stealth' sections I'd love this, pixel art be damned, for it's unique feeling. It feels like you are playing a horrible fairy tale. But I found the stealth detracts too much. Maybe get.
  • Don't Die Mr Robot: You move a robot around avoiding lasers and picking up fruit. It's cheap so you could get it, but I don't really see why. The best moving things around avoiding things picking up fruit until Pacman is on Switch I suppose. Maybe get.
  • Into the Breach: If this wasn't procedurally generated I'd love it. As it is, I'm left a little cold. Ill give it more time due to its reputation here. Maybe get.
  • Prison Architect: Enjoy this on PC, picked it up on Switch to see if it's the same. It is. Build a prison and build everything because you can,even if it means being both full of rehabilitaion and arming guards. Get.
  • Dead Cells: I really enjoy the movement and early combat in this, but bounce of the later difficulties. A lot of that is because it's a procedurally generated rogue-like, in which the lack of progress starts to stick after a certain point. However, I still enjoy running through earlier levels, which got me through over 10 hours, so Get.
  • Nefarious: Play as the bad guy in a 16  bit platformer. Intriguing concept, but the main game is a run and gun game with terrible enemy placement. Controls are uniformly horrible. 2 of the levels look stylish, but the rest is horrible. Avoid.

Here's what I've played in 2019! I think I've become even harsher this year, but before Dekay tells me a lot of this stuff is actually good because it's 50p, the biggest thing they have to contend with it the opportunity cost against better games.

• The Missing: JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories. Plays like Inside but with a gruesome mechanical twist which synergises beautifully with the story. Get.
  • Downwell. Go down in black and white killing things. Bought because I have a Flipgrip. Bored after 5 minutes. Avoid.

~Bonus Sort-of Metroidvania section!~

• Xeodrifter. Pointless metroidvania which is ridiculously short with only one interesting upgrade (background jumping). Avoid.
  • Chasm. Ugly boring metroidvania(? might be just a hack 'n' slash). Slow weapons, not fun to control and procedurally generated rooms (which is now shorthand for boring). Avoid.
  • Gato Roboto. Ugly boring metroidvania. No new ideas. Pointless. Avoid.
  • Iconoclasts. Platforming with boss attacks. Not a metroidvania, ignore the liars who say it is. Weird story in an interesting world with a dull protaganist. Want to revisit the world, but not this game. Get (maybe).
  • Sundered. Sort of lovecraftian metroidvania but not really. Ignore the claims of procedural generation, it's not that bad. Instead you hack through enemies in progressively increasing waves, but this feels fun, especially as your powers and skills improve. A genuine delight and best of this list. Get.
  • The Messenger. Not really a metroidvania, but a fun NES style hack and slash until twists happen. I 100%'d it which wasn't worth it at all. Get.

• South Park- Stick of Truth. Fun RPG everyone played years ago. You either find SP funny or don't, and that's all it's got going for it. Maybe.
  • Reigns: Kings and Queens. Another Devolver Digital bit of boredom. Flick left or right to change how bars are filled, trying to keep them all level. But you don't know what will happen each time, or what's coming up, so it feels random. Avoid.
  • The Way Remastered. Like Flashback, but uglier with worse controls. Also a boring story. Avoid.
  • Grim Fandango. Still excellent point and clicker with tank controls. Get.
  • Planet Alpha. Plays like Inside but more repetitive. Overlong, and with no real puzzles, twists or emotional heft. Avoid.
  • The Gardens Between. Pretty little game in which you solve simple puzzles by manipulating time by walking clockwise and anticlockwise around a scene. A little too simple to make it a good puzzler, and not interesting enough outside of that. Maybe.
  • Frost. A card game in which you play cards to traverse a harsh cold environment. Not many cards and no real interesting choices, rendering it boring. Avoid.
  • Thimbleweed Park. An old-school point and clicker which shits the bed in the final act. Loved it before that though. Maybe.
  • FutureGrind. Move quickly left to right jumping from rails and spinning for points. Felt like an auto runner. Meh. Avoid.
  • Celeste. Everyone knows this one, but it didn't do as much for me as others. I felt relief rather than elation at completing a level, but still some genius sparks (especially the hotel level). Get.
  • Splitter Critters. Split the screen in halves/quarters and slide the background around to move cute creatures to a safe place. Should be more interesting than it is, but it's too easy and the complexity increases too slowly. Avoid.
  • Alex Kidd in Miracle World. Bought this just because I played it at my friends house when he had a Master System when I was ~9. Aged badly. Avoid.
  • Game Dev Story. Remembered this from playing on my phone. Honestly, just a bit dull on a proper games machine compared to everything else you can play. Avoid.
  • Terraria. Third time I've bought this, and still excellent fun. 2D mining crafting game, with people you recruit into your base, bosses, and different biomes. Really enjoy it, despite some of the grindier drops. Get.
  • Night Trap. Dumb video watcher, interesting, and genuinely don't regret buying and playing it, but I couldn't suggest anybody else does, except as a curiousity. Avoid.
  • Slay the Spire. I'm not as deep into this card game battler as much as others (blame Wagic on the PSP), but I still apreciate how fantastic it is and have lost hours to it. Get.
  • Untitled Goose Game. Just odd fun. Get.
  • Pikuniku. Another weird Devolver Digital game, with not enough to draw you in. Drops ideas as quickly as it thinks of them, which unfortunately makes it feel fleet and that there's not much to it. Which there isn't. Avoid.
  • Baba Is You. The best game of 2019, and superb puzzler. Incredibly clever, witty and amusing. Almost as good as The Witness, but without Jonathan Blow's understanding of developing mastery in problem solving. Still amazing. Get.
  • Rogue Bit. Incomprehensible and unplayable. Designed by someone who wants to teach something with no idea of how to do it, or how to make it fun. Terrible. Avoid.
  • What Remains of Edith Finch. Walk around discovering how your family members died. A masterful spiritual sequel to Gone Home. Haunting and creative. Felt a bit let down by the ending, but won't hold that against the game. Get.
  • Steamworld Heist. Turn based 2D shooter. Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to see what enemies can do/ where they can go on their turn, which makes it feel all a bit of a shot in the dark. Either way got bored, especially as there's no way to choose level ups. Avoid.
  • A Night in the Woods. Perfectly captures the feeling of being an aimless bored dropout by being aimless and boring. Unlikable protaganist, and hateful dream sequences. Avoid.
  • Batman: The Telltale Series. Usual Telltale fluff, although seeing as it's been so long since the last one I enjoyed it for the most part. Terrible story though, rendered confused either through Telltale's inability to plot, or me choosing things they didn't think I would. Harvey Dent is a weird incel frat bro who in no way resembles this amazing DA, which is offputting at the start, and then his arc just gets worse. Maybe.
  • Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

How can you be so wrong about Gato Roboto and Steamworld Heist when you’re so right about Baba Is You and Celeste?

They don't excite me. That's now my high threshold for games.

Just now, therearerules said:

They don't excite me. That's now my high threshold for games.

Baba Is You isn’t even slightly exciting.

Just now, deKay said:

Baba Is You isn’t even slightly exciting.

I can honestly say I was never bored playing it, and instead often delighted. It's opportunity, the ideas on display, that's what excites me.

• Upvote 1

Just now, therearerules said:

I can honestly say I was never bored playing it, and instead often delighted. It's opportunity, the ideas on display, that's what excites me.

I see. It is fantastic but I wasn’t ever excited :)

3 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

It’s great isn’t it?

It really is. I wanted to start it again straight away but I resisted the temptation. I’ll leave it a while I think. I only found the last two “stages” and there are quite a few other challenges still blank so I’ve got quite a bit to go looking for next time.

My favourite West of Loathing quote:

NPC: "I've been hearing a rumour."

You: "A rumour? What is it?"

NPC: "Its when you get partial information from an unverified source."

:D

Edit: Found my old thread:

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, deKay said:

How can you be so wrong about Gato Roboto and Steamworld Heist when you’re so right about Baba Is You and Celeste?

8 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Gato Roboto is loads of fun. Had a few tricky bosses, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Get it bought. 

6 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Aye. Gato Roboto is great. And Night in the Woods is amazing. 

Good call on West of Loathing, though. I loved that.

Obviously people might find Gato Roboto fun, and it's got the fact it's fully designed and not procedurally generated going for it, but I implore you to give Sundered a go next time it's on sale. It's very different, and not really a metroidvania at all, but something very different, which I applaud.

I still massively disagree re: Kamiko - it's a great little time-trial experience. It feels a little basic to begin with, but once you get motoring and trying to improve your times it really comes into its own.

6 hours ago, therearerules said:

A lot of wrong opinions.

To each their own, I guess, but in what way are Iconoclasts, Chasm, and The Messenger not metroidvanias?

I have zero musical ability but was always fascinated by Korg Gadget - long since forgotten about it but the first sale its ever had (even though its not that much of a drop) has seen it added to my Switch pile of shame.

Had a quick fiddle with it last night and got something that sounded like a masterpiece to me in a few mins - I can see some YouTube coming on and hoping to find some 'intro to' series to at least give me some pointers.

• Upvote 4

Rush rally 3... Not 2?

Anyway I bought it as ever since getting a switch I kinda stopped playing on my pc and the big hole that left was not having Dirt Rally. 

I've only briefly played rush rally and it's no Dirt rally but it scratches that itch. The handling feels nice enough, a little stickier than dirt but the lack of analogue acceleration and brake isn't a big deal, I find myself just "Tapping" a bit. 

For the price it's worth it I think, if you aren't into any other racing games.