rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Just now, mwaawm said:

Presumably available to both digital and cartridge owners of the original?

It’s the exact same download.

57 minutes ago, mwaawm said:

Presumably available to both digital and cartridge owners of the original, or is it not free DLC?

Available to all for about £32. It's a substantial expansion.

The base game is about a tenner less atm, tempted by that for the convenience.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, geldra said:

Alien Isolation out on Dec 5th. £29.99

i’d be tempted if I didn’t have it on PS4. Still, would probably play it more on Switch. 

I got it for PS3 but never played it. Could be better off getting it for Switch. Unless there's a PSVR release...

3 minutes ago, smac said:

I got it for PS3 but never played it. Could be better off getting it for Switch. Unless there's a PSVR release...

There isn’t unfortunately - I think I read once that there’s an unofficial hack which activates VR on the PC version but that’s about it. 

Maybe they tested it internally but all the test subjects’ brains got scrambled due to the intense fear, like that one episode of Black Mirror, so decided to scrap it for the good of mankind. 

36 minutes ago, smac said:

If it has motion controls just play it with Labo VR and strap it to your face....

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I think I read once that there’s an unofficial hack which activates VR on the PC version but that’s about it

MotherVR.

Alas, you can't play it on the Quest and I'm not lugging my PC to the toilet, so it's rarely played.

Bought 80 Days and Wandersong in the sale. Both were stuff I'd wanted, but didn't want to take a punt at full price so I'm happy with that. Added to the backlog. 

1 hour ago, Stanshall said:

I wonder what the possibility is off-putting more stuff added to this sale next week? Has that generally been the case? 

They've updated the sale games every Thursday for as long as I've had my Switch, so I don't see why they wouldn't, especially as next Friday is the proper Black Friday.

• Upvote 1

On 22/11/2019 at 14:49, Dr Nookie said:

Has anyone got Supermario U deluxe?  We only have Yoshi on the Switch - no Mario games anywhere. 
Looks like it would be a nice complimentary game to have. 

It’s the best 2D Mario. 

• Upvote 4

On 22/11/2019 at 23:49, Dr Nookie said:

Has anyone got Supermario U deluxe?  We only have Yoshi on the Switch - no Mario games anywhere. 
Looks like it would be a nice complimentary game to have. 

9 hours ago, Chooch said:

It’s the best 2D Mario. 

Just to provide a differing opinion, if mechanics are all that matters to a 2d mario game this might be true. Unfortunately, it has precisely none of the charm of something like Mario World or Mario 3. Like the other nsmb games it seems almost intentionally designed to be utterly bland in terms of music and visual style. It has none of the nintendo magic that made something like 3d world (the other wii u mario game) so great and memorable.

There was a single stage in NSMBU that hinted at what might have been, which just highlighted the blandness of the rest of it even more.

But that's the opinion of an adult mario snob ;) I've noticed that it's a lot easier for small kids to play NSMBU without being frustrated by the difficulty than Mario World.

• Upvote 6

It’s the best 2D Mario. 

Also, doesn’t it have a weird jump mechanic, so technically it’s the 2nd best 2D Mario after the Wii u version (which doesn’t have that mechanic)?

It’s the best 2D Mario. 

It is often overlooked because of its generic artstyle, but it really has some of the best level design in any of the Mario games. It's a fantastic title. 

2 hours ago, deKay said:

"generic artstyle"

73.thumb.jpg.bba197d35ea58e5578c074e799eecfaa.jpgnsmbuoct3.jpg.14433e4bf6fc147b98053b3cbf9d8645.jpgnew-super-mario-bros-u-deluxe_6055087.thumb.jpg.620b716d6cc7d023636de2c8cfbba618.jpg915649515_NSMBU8.jpg.8d9e120b69195d174ecb99d3519b8e6e.jpgNew-Super-Mario-Bros-U-7-1.jpg.1aa4d602a3a9c3972a1fe3c1d97b27c9.jpg

What a dilemma eh. 

After watching a few YouTube vids it does look and sound pretty good, but some of that criticism from Partius does sound  reasonable and objective.  

I do think that after Yoshi it’ll look a bit standard - to the kids at least.  Would’ve worked better the other way round - getting Deluxe after.  
I seem to have a mental block about Odyssey - maybe I should just get that and shut up. 

I think NSMBU is a cracking game, if you didn’t play it on the Wii U (fuck it, even if you did) I wouldn’t hesitate. It’s utterly rammed with charm and colour and has a shit tonne of content (you get NSLU in there too iirc).  I spent hours time trialling 1-1 alone back on the U version. 

I get that people may not like it’s style but it’s night and day in comparison to NSMB on the Wii and 2 that came out on 3DS. I think it’s almost a bit of an overlooked Mario game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Isn’t that how 2D Mario games usually work though?

More than likely. I feel like there should be an option or a prompt to decide what to do though.

• Empathy 1

7 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

More than likely. I feel like there should be an option or a prompt to decide what to do though.

Agreed, it’s terrible UX design. 

• Upvote 3