rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

How easy to pick up is Towerfall? It's me, my wife, my mate and his wife who will be playing and the wives don't really go near videogames outside of these evenings.

I play with my wife, 7 year old and 4 year old. The 4 year old struggles a bit, so I keep an eye out for him and try to resurrect him often. The others are fine, and they are not regular gamers.

Also, rounds last about 3-5 mins each, so anyone dying only stays out of action for a short while.

Check it out on YouTube. I've not played vs mode, only co-op, but it's a hoot. Also it's so much fun taking down a boss together!

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, NickC said:

I play with my wife, 7 year old and 4 year old. The 4 year old struggles a bit, so I keep an eye out for him and try to resurrect him often. The others are fine, and they are not regular gamers.

Also, rounds last about 3-5 mins each, so anyone dying only stays out of action for a short while.

Check it out on YouTube. I've not played vs mode, only co-op, but it's a hoot. Also it's so much fun taking down a boss together!

Cheers. I'll pick it up next time it's on sale. We've got more than enough to keep us busy for this evening. I loved Celeste so hopefully this will be as good.

Tower fall is literally the only game I’d say my wife has ever really got to grips with and we’ve only really played it once. 

Other games she’s tried include MK8 which she’s never really got the hang of for some reason. 

The Way Remastered is on sale at a whopping 93% off, down to 89p. Any opinions? Seems rude not to, albeit the reviews are middling and I’ve got plenty of I played games already. 

1 minute ago, Popo said:

The Way Remastered is on sale at a whopping 93% off, down to 89p. Any opinions? Seems rude not to, albeit the reviews are middling and I’ve got plenty of I played games already. 

I mostly enjoyed it but it’s a mess of ideas.  It’s a bit Another World, a bit Flashback, a bit Prince of Persia. Worth 89p though.

I wrote more here:

https://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/2019/06/the-way-remastered-switch-completed/

• Upvote 2

Is Resident Evil Zero a legitimately bad game or were people just disappointed by it following REmake? I kind of fancy surviving a bit of horror in a clunky, old-fashioned sort of way. 

It's fine. Not as good as the remake, the inventory management is a bit fiddly and the second half of the game drops off a bit, but it's still well worth a play.

(Don't know about the Switch version, this is based on playing the original)

Zero isn't bad, but it's spoiled by some odd design decisions (switching between characters and sharing inventory didnt add anything) and some rubbish monsters. I enjoyed it at the time but would find it frustrating now. 

3 hours ago, deKay said:

I mostly enjoyed it but it’s a mess of ideas.  It’s a bit Another World, a bit Flashback, a bit Prince of Persia. Worth 89p though.

I wrote more here:

https://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/2019/06/the-way-remastered-switch-completed/

Thanks Dekay, I decided to get both Steamworld Dig and Steamworld Heist instead, scandalously cheap and both on my watch list. 

I played and finished Steamworld Dig 2 and loved it all the way through. I didn't play the first one, would it be worth picking up or will 2 have spoiled it for me? 

1 hour ago, Yasawas said:

Is Resident Evil Zero a legitimately bad game or were people just disappointed by it following REmake? I kind of fancy surviving a bit of horror in a clunky, old-fashioned sort of way. 

It's a 5/10 at best. After exiting the train the environments become extremely boring and the new mechanics like character swapping/dropping items on the floor are fatiguing. Even the story is just plain bad instead of the usual Resi endearingly bad.

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I played and finished Steamworld Dig 2 and loved it all the way through. I didn't play the first one, would it be worth picking up or will 2 have spoiled it for me? 

I just fired it up and it seems like more of the same but with slightly less refined graphics, so certainly nothing wrong there if you liked SW2 (which I did). 

28 minutes ago, Fletch said:

It's only about 4 or 5 hours and worth playing imo.

11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Cheers @Popo and @moosegrinder I'll give it a go in that case. 

The second one is better than the first. Going from 2 to 1, I think you'll be disappointed. Heist is quite good, although overlong, and it's a different enough experience from the Dig games that you won't be comparing them.

What's the consensus on SteamWorld Quest? I think it got 9/10 in Edge but some posts I've read on here are quite critical of it, @BadgerFarmer recently in the Completed Games thread, for example. I've already got Slay the Spire (though I've yet to play it) and it sounds like it's the better card em up, although the fact that Quest isn't a Rogue-like appeals to me.

Steamworld Quest is a really fun game at first but it does get repetitive and the story is terrible. I didn’t think I liked rogue-likes either until I played Slay the Spire, it’s the superior game with almost unlimited replayability. 

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

The second one is better than the first. Going from 2 to 1, I think you'll be disappointed. Heist is quite good, although overlong, and it's a different enough experience from the Dig games that you won't be comparing them.

What's the consensus on SteamWorld Quest? I think it got 9/10 in Edge but some posts I've read on here are quite critical of it, @BadgerFarmer recently in the Completed Games thread, for example. I've already got Slay the Spire (though I've yet to play it) and it sounds like it's the better card em up, although the fact that Quest isn't a Rogue-like appeals to me.

I did a review of it for Wireframe: https://wireframe.raspberrypi.org/issues/13 (download the free PDF), but @Nosejam sums it up well right there. The exploration aspect is very dull and the battles get really repetitive. And yes, it really exposes how perfunctory the rule set is when you put it next to Slay the Spire. I'm surprised by how good a lot of the reviews were, TBH.

I'm starting to get a bit of a thing about Steamworld games, I think. Heist was fine and Dig 2 was a step up in quality, but they're never quite great. They get a long way with some charm and solid implementation of tried and tested formulas. But they don't take risks and they don't have much originality (Heist's perspective shift for a turn-based strategy game is about the limit), and everything's always so carefully plotted out that there's not much depth either. They're safe bets, 6-8 out of tens every time, and I think that started to show through in the wrong way with Quest - it should have pushed on from Dig 2 to something more expansive and daring, but it never leaves its comfort zone. In a game with a longer run-time that's not sufficient.

• Upvote 2

On 25/10/2019 at 21:31, Jamie John said:

I've got some mates coming round tomorrow so I'm looking for some good couch four player titles. I'm presuming this fits the bill? Two of them don't really play games that much, but everyone knows Tetris, so it looks like a good option for something that'll be accessible to everyone.

Is the single-player adventure mode fun, for once they've all gone home?

We only ended up playing Puyo Puyo Tetris for about ten minutes. It was ok, but once someone is out they just have to sit there and wait for the other players to lose or win.

The most successful game of the night, apart from regular staple MK8, was actually a demo for Tumblestone, a connect three puzzler where you have to destroy groups of blocks in a particular order to wipe your board faster than your opponents. It's probably a clone of a much older game, but it was brilliant, frantic fun with lots of swearing and name calling all round. Great stuff. It's often down to about three quid when it's on sale, too, so I'll be picking up the full version for sure. Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for an accessible couch co-op game. 

• Upvote 1

Has anyone bought Sudoku Ultimate, or another sudoku game? I fancy a puzzler where I can take my time and I think I might be all picrossed out for a while having gone through the 150 mega puzzles in Picross S, some of which were a bit shite I reckon. 

Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz up on the eShop for £35 - that's just too much, plus the reviews are less than glowing with even Nintendo Life giving it 3/5

I bought the Wii original in the charity shop last week. It wasn’t that fun. I imagine non-waggle controls would improve things. I played the GC original afterwards and it was much more enjoyable. 

So the credit I had saved for Two Point Hospital... Not won't be going on Monkey Ball*, so either a Bayonetta Birthday Sale (hopefully) or Professor Layton it is. 

*It never likely was, as a mediocre game, was still going to be mediocre in a remaster. They missed a trick with the one they went for. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz up on the eShop for £35 - that's just too much, plus the reviews are less than glowing with even Nintendo Life giving it 3/5

It was the remake that nobody asked for. I guess porting it over must have been fairly easy for them?

• Upvote 1

I haven't played Banana Blitz but to be honest I like the sound of it being easier :blush: I played the originals on the Gamecube too and I know they're objectively better.

Not worth anything like £35 to me tho, more like £15ish. Too much competition on Switch for that.