rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Hollow Knight is hard and a couple of times the signposting is unclear but I think anyone who has ever played a Souls game wouldn't find the difficulty too off-putting. You can also experiment a lot with the combination of pins to make certain sections easier.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

Ignore this nonsense.  

Hollow Knight is a masterpiece and the difficulty is really nicely tuned. 

It's incredible. 

How rude, but I see that you literally have skin in the game, so your hyperbole is understandable.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Horribleman said:

It's the only game where I've noticed it was too high and had to change the TV settings. 

But that’s not why it’s hard, I played it handheld on Switch thus negating any input lag anyway. I mean it’s not even a criticism just an observation. 

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Got fed up with its punishing difficulty and obtuse navigation, so finally jacked it in after 12 hours or so? Yes.

I’m with @jonamok except it didn’t even last 12 hours. Just didn’t get it. 

However..... for the price it’s definitely worth taking the risk given how many people adore it. 

Maybe I’ll try it again sometime. 

• Empathy 1

I’ll be the first to admit that it took a while to click for me but by god when it did it then got its teeth right into me :). Played it first time on Switch and then when it came to Gamepass recently and there was an easy achievement to be had for my MS rewards I downloaded it.

No prizes for guessing who’s found themself going through it again and loving it right from the off :wub:.  

I liked Hollow Knight but its a really really difficult game to pick up again if you take a break. It's very open structured and doesn't really lay many breadcrumbs as to where you are meant to go next.

• Upvote 2

Whenever I found something very hard in HK, I went and tried a different direction and came back to it later. It's open enough that you don't need to keep smashing your head against a wall, just wait till you're stronger. All the really tough stuff is optional.

My issue with it was how often you have to cover the same ground, and how empty a lot of it is. The fast travel isn't sufficient towards the end of the game. I got sick of seeing the areas around the stag stations, and places you need to revisit semi-regularly are too out of the way. It needed a warp to any bench option once you were in the later stages.

Open structure and lack of direction is fine, but it can get too spread out and sparse.

• Upvote 3

It's more challenging than the average game, for sure, but it's certainly not 'insanely' hard. Every boss encounter can be defeated in less than an evening's play, with the exception of the entirely optional DLC boss, anyway. The regular enemy encounters are easier than they are I'm the souls games, I found. There are far fewer ganking moments. It's all about keeping your cool, learning patterns and moving very economically, almost like a shooter.

5 minutes ago, bradigor said:

So... Ori and the Blind Forest allows me to sign in with my Xbox Account. First title to allow that on the Switch?

Nope. Minecraft has allowed it for a good while. It feels weird. 

I love Souls, love hard games, have no issue with grinding and hammering away for hours until my execution is good enough. I loved the music and aesthetic. I've tried Hollow Knight half a dozen times and I fucking hate it. The combat and platforming design are so annoying and unsatisfying to me. The world is poorly signposted and awkward in its routing to my brain. Genuinely only baffled more by the love for God of War this gen. Absolutely hated it every time I've gone back. Wish I had clicked with it. 

• Upvote 6

Hollow knight is certainly worth 6 quid, probably double that.....but it's not faultless, I found the navigation around its world map a bit tortuous and confusing at times. I've played around 20 odd hours and should really revisit it.

Loved Hollow Knight and I found some of the bosses incredibly hard. However, I never felt like the game was cheating me. It was always my error if I didn't manage to defeat them. 

I can see the point regarding travelling back and forth being the weaker side. Towards the end I would have appreciated a more forgiving fast travel system. 

I must have attempted Nightmare Grimm several hundred times before I got it (which says as much about the difficulty of the game as it does my general ineptitude). However, it somehow managed to keep me plugging away at it without any kind of joypad rage or public outbursts. 

I found the first 10-15 hours quite hard going, but once I was able to open up 2 or 3 new areas it really clicked for me and I couldn’t put it down until I did the main ending. Haven’t dived back in for all the endgame stuff and a couple of bosses I didn’t clear but it’s easily in my top 10 of all time. I’m pretty average at games but once you learn the systems and patterns of the bosses it is just about manageable. 

All I’d say is don’t be scared to use a guide early on if you do get to a point where you feel you’re totally stuck. I did that and then I was fine for most of the rest of the game. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Stanshall said:

I love Souls, love hard games, have no issue with grinding and hammering away for hours until my execution is good enough. I loved the music and aesthetic. I've tried Hollow Knight half a dozen times and I fucking hate it. The combat and platforming design are so annoying and unsatisfying to me. The world is poorly signposted and awkward in its routing to my brain. Genuinely only baffled more by the love for God of War this gen. Absolutely hated it every time I've gone back. Wish I had clicked with it. 

Similar to me.  I also bought Axiom Verge and didn't get on with that so I was thinking outside of Metroid Prime (which I loved back on the cube) that maybe metroidvanias were not for me.  Then saw a deal for guacamalee  on pc for free which was something I'd been aware of and for that price decided one more time.  Clicked instantly.  Nice 20 minute bursts of play time, easy to pick up from where you left off, decent save system and so on.

I love Hollow Knight. It's probably a little too long but exceptional combat elevates it above most other games in the genre. It also has the atmosphere of oppressive solitude I appreciated so much in Super Metroid.

• Upvote 3

If you want to get Hollow Knight go stand in front of the mirror and ask yourself if you truly like exploring and traveling around. 

If not, go play something else or this will infuriate you. Simple as that. Don’t play something “because you have to”. 

• Upvote 5

Has anyone else managed to get any joy out of Xenon Racer? I took a punt in the sale as I love a half decent arcade racer but the drifting mechanic in it seems unfathomable.

The way the race progresses is weird as well, like Ridge Racer almost in reverse. You shoot to the front in the first half of the initial lap and then gradually get overtaken by all the other cars.

It also looks like a mid-tier Dreamcast game, which is a back handed compliment if ever I heard one.

Opened a can of worms with that flippant Hollow Knight comment! It doesn’t sound like it’s for me. I struggle to devote regular playtime to one title. And I don’t revel a challenge. Hopefully some other people will take a chance and find a winner. 

Im still playing that Billiards game every night. 

• Upvote 1

Cue sharp intakes of breath and looks of disgust but I actually preferred Ori and The Blind Forest to Hollow Knight, it’s a bit easier in terms of navigation and overall difficulty, it has a beautiful art style that I prefer and a gorgeous soundtrack that really adds to the melancholic feel of the game and the story, it also plays beautifully and has some really creative upgrades to your moves and abilities. 

• Upvote 3