rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Yeah, the ‘shop’ on the console is just a form to enter codes.

I haven’t seen evidence of anyone being able to make it work, which makes sense given the disparity in prices. The Hotline Miami collection, for example, is £3.49 on the Argentinian eShop, £22.49 in the UK.

think its been mentioned a few pages back but I'm really enjoying Super Mega Baseball 2 - I had the original on xbox and recall it was a freebie (or that may have been the sequel on PSN) but just feels 'right' on the Switch. 

looks lovely and think there is quite bit of depth to the game to get to grips with - also was worried about getting bored with a full 9 innings game but can rattle thru them against the CPU.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Gotters said:

think its been mentioned a few pages back but I'm really enjoying Super Mega Baseball 2 - I had the original on xbox and recall it was a freebie (or that may have been the sequel on PSN) but just feels 'right' on the Switch. 

looks lovely and think there is quite bit of depth to the game to get to grips with - also was worried about getting bored with a full 9 innings game but can rattle thru them against the CPU.

Yep, great game - hits the sim/arcade sweet spot with gameplay and controls.

Did anyone try Vaporum? I'm hovering over it while it's on sale but I've been burnt a few times recently and that looks like a lot of text/UI to fit on the screen comfortably in handheld mode.

How are people finding Dragonquest? The demo seems ok but not a patch on Dragonquest IX sentinels of the starry skies on the DS. Also dont like the fact so many characters are cross eyed.

17 minutes ago, mwaawm said:

How are people finding Dragonquest? The demo seems ok but not a patch on Dragonquest IX sentinels of the starry skies on the DS. Also dont like the fact so many characters are cross eyed.

The thread is very much a love-in. I played through half the demo and thought it was a bit dull but at the same time very good at being what it is, which is an uber-traditional turn-based JRPG with a battle system more or less lifted from the late 80s. If you're after highly-polished nostalgia and charm without anything that rocks the boat then there's little better, but if you want something a bit more interesting and different then I'd go for FFXII instead.

Personally, I cancelled my pre-order but will pick it up at some point when it's on sale. Lots of people completely adore it, however, so don't take my word for it.

And DQ characters have always looked cross-eyed, haven't they? It's that style of anime. Dragon Ball Z characters seem to suffer from the same affliction.

1 hour ago, mwaawm said:

Loved it. Genuinely surprised you'd like DQIX more but then I guess it depends on your history with the series, the first DQ I played was VIII and XI feels like the true successor to that game. I enjoyed IX as it still had all the traditional game play that I enjoy about the series but I missed all the characterisation and Ghibli-esque sheen from VIII in favour of a more faceless MMO style approach they took for IX. 

Still my most anticipated game this year.

I have to confess that IX is the only one I've played, have VII on the 3DS but not got round to it.

Too early to judge the latest instalment based solely on the experience of the demo of but just didn't strike me as quite as charming as IX even though there's nothing I could truly say was wrong with it.

Do you mean charm as in the retro sprite based graphics in IX? If so you might like the alternative mode in DQXI where you can play the whole game with old school 16 bit style graphics, it's not available in the demo unfortunately.

DQ XI is definitely a step back towards tradition, in its systems, narrative and characters. It's a very polished modernised SNES RPG. Not a patch on DQ IX for me, which had a much more forward thinking structure, but it's very good at what it does. 

It's some time since I played IX but apart from the multiplayer aspect I can't remember it being any different or more forward thinking. It had the same party selection and turn based battle mechanics, just more interchangeable characters for you to pick and choose from, but that came at the expense of being less focussed narratively when it came to those characters. 

Yeah, it was more focused on the NPCs' stories and bringing them all together under a consistent theme because of that, which I liked. Also the job system made the combat more flexible than in other DQ games. And the amount of post-credits content was ridiculous. They really thought through the change to the anonymous character/MP focus.

2 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Yeah, it was more focused on the NPCs' stories and bringing them all together under a consistent theme because of that, which I liked. Also the job system made the combat more flexible than in other DQ games. And the amount of post-credits content was ridiculous. They really thought through the change to the anonymous character/MP focus.

Yes the job system, of course. I did really enjoy IX but it didn't topple VIII from the top spot for me, guess that's why I'm excited about XI. Apparently there's quite a bit of post game content in that too.

1 minute ago, Yuujiin said:

Any news on when Alien Isolation is coming? I know it got mentioned in a direct but it's all gone quiet now.  

It's been rated, so it's definitely coming soon but no date yet. I could see it being around Halloween, for obvious reasons. 

Could I have a steer for a new Switch owner please. Just getting one for the kids really - 3 & 8. The eldest has a really short attention span so Zelda etc. is a no go. 

He was well into minecraft but out the other side now and now plays this rubbish first person thing online called Kronker I think.  That and Slither io are the current faves.  God I feel like one of the clueless parents I used to pity in Game not having a clue what buy....

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Popo said:

Fortnight? Overwatch? Who really knows what kids play these days, the fads change so fast. :blah:

He’d be all over that if we’d let him, but he’s too young (in our opinion)

• Upvote 1

Thanks all. 

I’ve got Splatoon 2 on the list. Such a shame here’s no local multi player. - gutted about that. 

I guess Mario Kart for that and 

Overlooked 2 for starters. 

1/2 Switch gotta be worth a look if I can get it cheapish. 

I'd say Zelda would be perfectly fine - a lot of the time is just walking about not doing a hell of a lot but having a hell of a lot of fun doing it.

Maybe if you played it to get him off the plateau first?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Dr Nookie said:

Could I have a steer for a new Switch owner please. Just getting one for the kids really - 3 & 8. The eldest has a really short attention span so Zelda etc. is a no go. 

He was well into minecraft but out the other side now and now plays this rubbish first person thing online called Kronker I think.  That and Slither io are the current faves.  God I feel like one of the clueless parents I used to pity in Game not having a clue what buy....

Some favourites of ours that you can play with your kids (in no particular order):

- Kirby Star Alies (relaxing, easy platformer. A great first game for your youngest)

- Mario Kart (obviously)

- Astro Bears (cheap, 3d snake clone that is a great multiplayer for up to 4p)

- Towerfall (awesome multiplayer game with up to 6p. It has great handicapping options which mean it's easy to set up a fair game with you and the kids)

- Mario Odyssey (my 9 year old daughter and I rinsed it in 2p coop, and my 7 year old enjoyed watching us).

- Zelda (I played, kids watched completed entranced by the story and scope of the game. The rules were I played and they decided what to do. I did lots more cooking than I would have done if it was just me playing)

- Super Mario Maker 2 (Again they liked watching me blast through story mode, and we all enjoy making levels for each other to play).

- Fantasy Strike (Proper fighting game with one button controls for special moves)

- Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (lovely coop spaceship game - much more relaxing with kids if you put the difficulty down a notch or two)

Overcooked is lovely, but I find it is a bit too hard to play with kids (having played with mine and lots of their cousins and friends). The first few levels are fine, but it becomes quite tricky quite quickly.

• Upvote 5