rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

@Omizzay

Dragonball FighterZ is virtually dead online, and the only players left are the hardcore so it's not much fun, unfortunately. Until you know what you're doing, it's the kind of game where you get stuck in a seemingly never-ending combo string and just watch someone else push buttons until you die. Tremendous game otherwise, though.

Starlink gets repetitive but it's worth the price for the first ten hours. It's a fundamentally good game hampered by generic open world structure.

Phoenix Wright is a superb visual novel/murder mystery puzzle hybrid. It's full of personality and humour and great music and characters. 

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know how the performance of Cities Skylines is on the Switch these days? Has it been patched? I put in about 100 hours on PC but am tempted to have it on the go not it's onsale, but not if it's a total mess.

38 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Starlink gets repetitive but it's worth the price for the first ten hours. It's a fundamentally good game hampered by generic open world structure.

I'd agree with this. Once it runs out of Starfox missions and new stuff to show you, it falls back on Ubi-filler, but it's very enjoyable up to that point. I paid fifteen quid for the physical edition with the toys tat and didn't regret it at that price.

30 minutes ago, Novelty Bobble said:

Does anyone know how the performance of Cities Skylines is on the Switch these days? Has it been patched? I put in about 100 hours on PC but am tempted to have it on the go not it's onsale, but not if it's a total mess.

It struggles as you get deeper and it clearly doesn't perform as well as the PC version, but I enjoyed many hours in handheld mode. 

12 hours ago, rgraves said:

Yeah, Starlink is deffo worth a go at that price.

It’s £11 for the physical version with the toys, so I’d say it wasn’t.

I was tempted by it for £11, but thought I read somewhere that you got more stuff with the digital version. Is that right? Seems worth it for £11 as long as you don’t have to then by more stuff digitally. 

8 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

I was tempted by it for £11, but thought I read somewhere that you got more stuff with the digital version. Is that right? Seems worth it for £11 as long as you don’t have to then by more stuff digitally. 

Digital starter version and physical starter version are both the same in terms of content, aren’t they?

I never bought any DLC for Starlink. If you play in 'physical mode' you just have access to the Arwing stuff that comes in the box, which is the ship, fire weapon, an ice one and default lasers if you remove the others.

If you opt to use the digital inventory rather than the toys, you can still use the Arwing stuff but also have access to a chain gun and the default ship from the Xbox/PS4 versions of the game. Just means you have to use the in-game menus to swap stuff, but it's no great loss. 

Fantasy Strike is out today. 

Will be so so good to have a proper fighting game I can play with a single joy con

3 hours ago, deKay said:

Digital starter version and physical starter version are both the same in terms of content, aren’t they?

No, you get quite a bit more stuff in the digital version, and you don't have to worry about doing any of the swapping/unlocking - it's a much easier way to play it. It's worth the premium IMO.

• The Physical Starter Kit: 1 ship (plus a digital one), 2 pilots, and 2 weapons (pus 1 digital one)
  • The Digital Edition: 4 ships, 6 pilots, and 12 weapons

49 minutes ago, rgraves said:

No, you get quite a bit more stuff in the digital version, and you don't have to worry about doing any of the swapping/unlocking - it's a much easier way to play it. It's worth the premium IMO.

• The Physical Starter Kit: 1 ship (plus a digital one), 2 pilots, and 2 guns (pus 1 digital one) on Switch.
  • The Digital Edition: includes 4 ships, 6 pilots, and 12 weapons, plus Star Fox and the Arwing ship on Switch.

I brought a physical copy and it came with the Star Fox stuff (don't know about the rest).  I'm sure whatever version you buy you get all the Star Fox content. 

16 minutes ago, McCoy said:

I brought a physical copy and it came with the Star Fox stuff (don't know about the rest).  I'm sure whatever version you buy you get all the Star Fox content. 

Yes, sorry - should have corrected that bit - you obviously get the Starfox stuff either way.

I'll edit.

3 hours ago, Hylian said:

Finished RE4 last night. I haven't played it all the way through since the Wii version, so well over 10 years. It still holds up really well. Yes, the controls take some getting used to, but I honestly didn't think about them all that much after the first hour. 

The final third is definitely weaker. But the village and castle are absolute masterpieces in game design. I couldn't quite believe the quality - almost every single area in that first 2/3 is just so perfectly designed. 

I just started (re)playing this myself a couple of days ago, and much like yourself, haven't touched it since the Wii days. I'm so impressed with how good it still is; I'm not far in (just reached the graveyard) but the pacing is absolutely spot-on. I don't think the reload animation for the rifle will ever be bettered! :wub:

• Upvote 4

I went with Starlink from the SA Store and NBA Playgrounds 2 from the US store in the end.  Will get stuck in tonight.

For some reason, I couldn't find a discounted Phoenix Wright anymore.

8 minutes ago, parkinho said:

I don't think the reload animation for the rifle will ever be bettered!

Except if they'd actually bothered to update it to 60 FPS! I winced every time.

I know this is probably sacrilegious to most on here, but I would love to see an announcement of a remake of RE4. Using something like the engine of RE2 remake. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, parkinho said:

I just started (re)playing this myself a couple of days ago, and much like yourself, haven't touched it since the Wii days. I'm so impressed with how good it still is; I'm not far in (just reached the graveyard) but the pacing is absolutely spot-on. I don't think the reload animation for the rifle will ever be bettered! :wub:

I'm a wee bit further than you, just did the house siege with Luis, but I haven't played it since completing it on the GameCube and I've managed to forget loads of it. It's bloody brilliant.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Omizzay said:

I went with Starlink from the SA Store and NBA Playgrounds 2 from the US store in the end.  Will get stuck in tonight.

For some reason, I couldn't find a discounted Phoenix Wright anymore.

Sale ended yesterday.

Bought RE4 before the sale ended. Haven't played it since the Wii version, played it many many times through on GC too.

It's still completely and utterly brilliant, that is all :)

• Upvote 5

There's a big NIS America sale on the UK eshop right now (presumably the rest of the EU too). 

Disgaea 5 is 67% off. Ys VIII is 50% off. And all but one of their other games are discounted too.

Any impressions of Lapis x Labyrinth? Looks intriguing and I think someone on here mentioned it previously. Tempted to finally get Labyrinth of Refrain as well to tide me over until a proper Etrian Odyssey comes to Switch.

Most of these are a bit cheaper still on the South Africa store, by the way.

• Upvote 2

Are any of the Neo Geo fighters fun with the joy-cons? Particularly interested in Waku Waku 7 or KoF '98.

I love them as a controller but double quarter circles are beyond me so anything that's a bit more lenient would be ideal.

50 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

There's a big NIS America sale on the UK eshop right now (presumably the rest of the EU too). 

Disgaea 5 is 67% off. Ys VIII is 50% off. And all but one of their other games are discounted too.

Any impressions of Lapis x Labyrinth? Looks intriguing and I think someone on here mentioned it previously. Tempted to finally get Labyrinth of Refrain as well to tide me over until a proper Etrian Odyssey comes to Switch.

Most of these are a bit cheaper still on the South Africa store, by the way.

Awesome, I've been thinking of picking up Lapis X Labyrinth. 30% off will give me the push I need. 

Good price for Ys too. I really need to get that started, only Ys game I've played is the Vita one and I really enjoyed that. 

1 hour ago, Yasawas said:

Are any of the Neo Geo fighters fun with the joy-cons? Particularly interested in Waku Waku 7 or KoF '98.

I love them as a controller but double quarter circles are beyond me so anything that's a bit more lenient would be ideal.

Those old games are lovely, but they are old school in their execution requirements. Modern games with double quarter circles have more lenient input windows.

If you want a fighting game that's perfect for Switch, try something like Fantasy Strike. No quarter circles required.

46 minutes ago, Soi said:

f you want a fighting game that's perfect for Switch, try something like Fantasy Strike. No quarter circles required.

Boo. That's the Sirlin one that came out last week isn't it? It looked a bit bland and expensive to be honest, I'll maybe stick with being shit at Streetfighter and jumping every time I try to cancel into a super.

That's a great price for Disgaea 5, tempted to buy it yet again to have it digitally.

2 hours ago, Yasawas said:

garou-mark-of-the-wolves-cover.cover_lar

• Upvote 2