rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

23 minutes ago, Nequests said:

Should I buy Phantasy Star?

Tell me, tell me.

Absolutely, yes.

(Now you have a real dilemma - which of the two uniformly wrong forumites do you want to listen to?)

• Upvote 4

Well that's a vote for both sides and I'm no closer to deciding. Does it have much of a story? I like a bit of a yarn to keep me going in an RPG, even if it's just your 'go over there and get the magic crystal' nonsense.

I also just like old Sega aesthetics, which is mostly why I'm interested in the first place.

The narrative is so simplistic they it’s barely a story as such, the gameplay is very simplistic and repetitive. Didn’t think it was worth the fiver or so I paid last time it was on sale, if I’m being honest. Having not played Phantasy Star before and having no nostalgic feelings for the series, I just found a dated game that frustrated much more than it entertained, which is a shame, as I wanted to like it.

25 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

You can try phantasy star 2, 3 and 4 for free on your phone if you want. They’re free for a reason. 

Because touch screen controls are shit?

I bought Mega Drive Classics for the Switch just for 2/3/4, well worth it.

16 hours ago, Cheyenne said:

With this and the Joy-Con/Limited Edition Switch discussion from a day or two back, you sure seem to like applying a lot of arbitrary restrictions in order to justify your arguments.

They're not in any way alike. Hardware discussion is based on fact. The amount RE4 is liked is just opinion. With the latter, it is tradition to poke fun at what games we deem personally better and what is not.

Gears of War did RE4 better. (But the whole industry certainly got influenced by RE4 to begin with).

• Downvote 4

7 hours ago, Nequests said:

Should I buy Phantasy Star?

Tell me, tell me.

Did you play it back in the day? Or was it something you always wanted to play? Because it’s just the Master System game with a couple of quality of life improvements.

48 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Did you play it back in the day? Or was it something you always wanted to play? Because it’s just the Master System game with a couple of quality of life improvements.

The Master System was my first console, but Phantasy Star eluded me at the time. I suppose it's one that I thought I should try eventually.

5 minutes ago, Nequests said:

The Master System was my first console, but Phantasy Star eluded me at the time. I suppose it's one that I thought I should try eventually.

If M2's improvement's weren't in the Sega Ages version (the side map) I'd tell you to skip to 4 instead. 1 is still worth playing without the tweaks, but does require dedication for those that didn't play it in the day. Even something like Dragon Quest 1 I'd have found a lot more hassle when I played it last year if I didn't search up a map (which would have come with the physical game anyway!)

• Upvote 2

Well I did buy Castlevania and it turns out I do get them now. Bizarrely it's the first game, which I'd never played that started to win me over then with a blast of Bloodlines the appeal of the original series really started to make sense to me. The whip, the clunky movement, the thrill of accidentally picking up holy water. Genius. 

I've tried and failed to get on with the SNES one a few times, as recently as the mini console launch, so when I finish with the others I wonder what I'll make of that. 

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, smac said:

Katamari is in the sale, too, so I grabbed that.

And it's still completely bonkers. And I'm going to have that damned theme tune as an earworm, again.

Quick note....Road Redemption is really good, especially if you liked Road Rash back in the day.  I have it on PC though, so not sure if there's any issues with the Switch port, but it's great fun...keep coming back to it and it's not been deleted from my pile of shame and I've had it since early access, so it must be doing something right.  Right?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nequests said:

I bet you even bought that one with the children dressed as animals, didn't you?

If you mean the Sanrio one, yes. Otherwise, link?

I find the lack of more Nintendo themed picross in the West utterly baffling, did we get any others beyond the Twilight Princess one*? The appeal of the puzzles for me and I assume most people is just in the solving and what they look like is irrelevant (and usually wildly optimistic) but it's a great wee bonus if it's something you recognise.

* There was one available for the 3DS eShop exclusively via the Japanese Club Nintendo which was probably the best picross I've ever played, I loved it. If it wasn't localised I assume it's now lost to time though.

1 hour ago, Yasawas said:

I find the lack of more Nintendo themed picross in the West utterly baffling, did we get any others beyond the Twilight Princess one*?

Yes, there's a Pokemon one too.