rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

I've never played Resi 4 :bye:

Edit - but I did pick up the Mega Drive collection now it's £20.  Bargain!  Is Resi 4 worth a punt for someone who really didn't like the earlier ones?

I always grudgingly played the early Resident Evil games but - though they were beautiful and atmospheric - found them a little like putting in a shift. I never really liked having to conserve ammo, something that always puts me on edge and makes me overly cautious and tightfisted.

Resident Evil 4 was a breath of fresh air (if you'll forgive the metaphor). Despite the weird controls its actually much more arcadey and just sheer fun. Still in my top 5 games of all time. I would definitely try it.

2 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

I've never played Resi 4 :bye:

Edit - but I did pick up the Mega Drive collection now it's £20.  Bargain!  Is Resi 4 worth a punt for someone who really didn't like the earlier ones?

Absolutely, ignore Moosey. I’m not really bothered about any of the Resis that came before it either, but 4 is a masterpiece. 

The controls are idiosyncratic for sure, but it’s their restrictive nature that creates the magical mix of gameplay and fear the game is famous for.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, ann coulter said:

Baba Is You was a forum darling for a few days but I don't hear much about it any more. Is it worth eight quid?

Buying Baba is You is you.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Alright, you shits.  I'll do it.  It better be good or I'll put Benny on ignore!

The Hivemind (TM) are wrong as usual but it's certainly not a bad game. But I've never called it a Resident Evil game due to the amount of changes, myself.

• Downvote 8

2 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Baba Is You was a forum darling for a few days but I don't hear much about it any more. Is it worth eight quid?

Yes. It’s only second to Witness in puzzling stakes, and just as astonishingly clever. A true joy.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NEG said:

The Hivemind (TM) are wrong as usual but it's certainly not a bad game. But I've never called it a Resident Evil game due to the amount of changes, myself.

Yeah, well that's just like, your opinion, man.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Deffo worth eight quid. But a word of warning, it's fucking hard. At least I find it hard, YMMV of course. And I consider myself fairly decent at puzzle games, I've completed several professor Layton games, picross games, I like doing logic puzzles etc. But Baba Is You absolutely boggles my noggin. I'm only on the second world and am stuck. 

6 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Yes.

Has anyone picked up Everspace and if so how does it play on the Switch?

Years ago I played a lot of space shooters on the PC but it’s a genre that has really fallen away over time. Having picked up a Switch only a few weeks ago (my best gaming decision since I bought Time Crisis with the light gun) I am just getting started on my eshop catalogue build up so imagine my delight when I accidentally found Everspace Stellar Edition is available in the sale. Seems like a no brainier regardless of the price but happy to be told otherwise :)

6 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Has anyone picked up Everspace and if so how does it play on the Switch?

Years ago I played a lot of space shooters on the PC but it’s a genre that has really fallen away over time. Having picked up a Switch only a few weeks ago (my best gaming decision since I bought Time Crisis with the light gun) I am just getting started on my eshop catalogue build up so imagine my delight when I accidentally found Everspace Stellar Edition is available in the sale. Seems like a no brainier regardless of the price but happy to be told otherwise :)

I posted about it briefly earlier in the thread. At launch, the screens on the Switch eshop were PC shots which did not represent how the Switch version actually looked. I think they've now updated the eshop with real Switch screens, thankfully. I ended up buying it on Steam for a fraction of the price but have yet to play it.

Seems to be a good overview of the Switch version here. Still looks quite nice to me despite the necessary downgrade.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NEG said:

With this and the Joy-Con/Limited Edition Switch discussion from a day or two back, you sure seem to like applying a lot of arbitrary restrictions in order to justify your arguments.

14 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Is Resi 4 worth a punt for someone who really didn't like the earlier ones?

As someone who very much enjoyed the early Resident Evils (well, 1, 2 and CV) as delightfully hammy horror games, but can't stand Resi 4, you should probably give it a try. It's very different to the games that came before it; third-person shooter first, horror game second. The reasons that other people love it continue to elude me, but given the sheer proportion of people who do enjoy it you should probably give it a go.

• Upvote 6

I was planning to buy Smash Bro’s this weekend but instead took that money and picked up Puyo Puyo Tetris, Flashback and Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice in the sale. Whoops!

Im incredibly impressed with Hellblade. It’s a visual miracle, in the same category as Doom in the ‘how the hell did they do this on Switch?’ Stakes. It’s also very fun, inventive and the combat is surprisingly in-depth. A big thumbs up from me. 

8 hours ago, Wiper said:

As someone who very much enjoyed the early Resident Evils (well, 1, 2 and CV) as delightfully hammy horror games, but can't stand Resi 4, you should probably give it a try. It's very different to the games that came before it; third-person shooter first, horror game second. The reasons that other people love it continue to elude me, but given the sheer proportion of people who do enjoy it you should probably give it a go.

This is exactly my opinion except inside-out; I've played all of the classic Resi games but didnt enjoy any of them. Resident Evil 4 is one of my all time favourite games.

You can suplex monks.

• Upvote 6

I've tried getting into Dragons Dogma, but the lack of lock on bothers me more than I expected. Its such a small thing, but it puts me off continuing. 

2 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

It’s wonderful. It seems like a generic RPG for the first few hours but becomes so much more than that.

Can you explain how or is it too spoilery?