rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

On 01/06/2019 at 10:33, Nequests said:

I thought it was fine, mostly. I think a lot of people went in expecting a Metroidvania or something and it was much more basic and straightforward than that.

Thing is I don't actually like metroidvanias on the whole, it's what's got me putting hollow knight down about 1/3 through. My issue with owlboy was the gameplay was just not particularly enjoyable. In fact only a couple months from purchase I now honestly can't recall any of the mechanics of how it plays other than you have a hover/flight ability. Given how good the art was thats a sad reflection on the rest of the game.

But is any of the picking up, shooting and flying satisfyingly fun?.....you can beat people up in pitfighter and you can beat people up in golden axe but one is much more enjoyable and memorable.

• Upvote 2

On 31/05/2019 at 11:17, bradigor said:

Just watched the Indie World presentation for Japan. Two games stood out to me. 

Lonely Mountains: Downhill

Played this one almost two years ago at Indigo. It was already incredibly more-ish to play back then. :D Good to see they've got it up and running on multiple platforms now. On the wishlist it goes.

• Upvote 1

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you. Everything about the actual gameplay is just functional at best, really. I was just forgiving of it because I enjoyed the presentation and the simple little old-school plot. 

Edit: @mwaawm

Pikuniku is on sale for £5.84.

I got it yesterday and it's awesome. Finished the story in one epic sitting. It's a really happy and silly game. Like a Mr Men game or something. Get it.

• Upvote 3

I paid £6.15 for it on release. 

It's fantastic, but incredibly short. I completed it in just over 3 hours with 90% completion rate. It was a great 3 hours, though. 

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Is Gato Roboto by the same bloke who made Downwell?

Nah, it's by US developer Doinksoft, whereas Downwell was by Ojiro Fumoto of Japan.

2 hours ago, Pupponvesh 2 said:

Pikuniku is on sale for £5.84.

I got it yesterday and it's awesome. Finished the story in one epic sitting. It's a really happy and silly game. Like a Mr Men game or something. Get it.

Certainly very charming!

It's a shame Sonic Racing multiplayer hasn't taken off. I had an enjoyable enough time with the hour or so I spent with it. I only won once, a king of the hill match, and my online rank is #500 or thereabouts. I guess i'll get whatever life I can out of it in the next few weeks and hope a larger chunk of the Mario Kart crowd check out CTR.

• Upvote 1

On 14/05/2019 at 17:11, Horribleman said:

Did you buy Madelyn? How are you finding the arcade mode?

I did buy this before the sale ended. Had a couple of sessions with it so far and I am finding arcade mode really difficult. Some enemies are difficult to see against the backgrounds. I got to the first boss last night, lost my last life and restarted back at the beginning of the level - so turned it off. Both times I have been playing in handheld mode, which probably doesn't help. Maybe I just suck at games - the video I watched before purchasing made it look fairly easy.

• Upvote 1

Finished Gato Roboto this morning. An entirely pleasant and functional experience that doesn't outstay its welcome but I don't get the fawning at all.

Can someone buy Timespinners or whatever that Chucklefish game that came out yesterday is called and tell me if I need it please?

Timespinner is fantastic, my second favourite of the recent wave of metroidvanias, after Hollow Knight.

They really nailed the SNES aesthetic, which I love. It just looks and moves fantastically, in my opinion. 

In terms of gameplay, it's been a while since I played it, so my memory may not be accurate, but I remember lots of instances of that metroidvania thing of a path you can't take yet because you don't have the correct ability. So you need to remember where it is, or face revisiting lots of previous areas, trying to find that ledge which you now have the ability to get to. This puts some people off, but to me it's part of the appeal of the genre.

As for challenge, I don't think it was particularly difficult. Certainly there were no bosses that were super bastard hard like Hollow Knight.

Oh and there are multiple endings, depending (I think) on when you do certain things, due to the time travel mechanic. So, replay value I guess?

Anyway, I highly enjoyed it; would recommend.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, dug said:

Timespinner is fantastic, my second favourite of the recent wave of metroidvanias, after Hollow Knight.

They really nailed the SNES aesthetic, which I love. It just looks and moves fantastically, in my opinion. 

In terms of gameplay, it's been a while since I played it, so my memory may not be accurate, but I remember lots of instances of that metroidvania thing of a path you can't take yet because you don't have the correct ability. So you need to remember where it is, or face revisiting lots of previous areas, trying to find that ledge which you now have the ability to get to. This puts some people off, but to me it's part of the appeal of the genre.

As for challenge, I don't think it was particularly difficult. Certainly there were no bosses that were super bastard hard like Hollow Knight.

Oh and there are multiple endings, depending (I think) on when you do certain things, due to the time travel mechanic. So, replay value I guess?

Anyway, I highly enjoyed it; would recommend.

I've never even heard of it but this has sold me completely in the game. Another one for the backlog. 

Well, Timespinner isn't off to a great start when you load up the game and are asked to choose a language - the English option is an American flag. :huh:

17 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Well, Timespinner isn't off to a great start when you load up the game and are asked to choose a language - the English option is an American flag. :huh:

I’m out

Just consider it an important warning that colour and other good words are going to be misspelled, then enjoy the generic IGAvania-ness (down to the somewhat dissatisfying combat), lovely art and and reasonably interesting setting.