rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

On 20/05/2019 at 10:42, deKay said:

It is, yes. I heard it was on the UK eShop this Thursday or next though.

Well that’s gone out if the window then. :-(

Just buy it from the Japanese eshop. It takes 10 minutes to set up and you'll be playing the game rather than waiting for it to turn up on some unspecified date on the UK store. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Just buy it from the Japanese eshop. It takes 10 minutes to set up and you'll be playing the game rather than waiting for it to turn up on some unspecified date on the UK store. 

I know this, but just wanted it from the UK store regardless. Easy as it is, I don’t want multiple regional accounts. I may switch regions on my account later instead, but at the same time, although disappointed, I’m not exactly starved of things to play!

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Anyone playing Katana Zero?

I'll be picking it up in the (measly 15%) sale. Just Shapes and Beats, too. The new Steamworld Quest game has also had a minor reduction, but I think I'll leave that for now.

2 hours ago, NickC said:

Has anyone tried Moonlighter? If so, any good?

I completed Moonlighter a few months ago and really enjoyed it. It can be a bit grindy at times but overall I had a good time with it. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not a Switch owner but people considering Katana Zero may like to know that I made a small thread for it here. The general consensus is that it's slightly short with the odd difficulty spike, but also a whole lot of fun. There's going to be free DLC on the way as well, although there's no real timescale for that. :) 

Personally it's the most fun I've had with a game so far this year, even with Sekiro out there... :wub: 

• Upvote 2

Just Shapes and Beats is awesome. There's a demo as well for those of you on the fence about it's awesomeness. 

Seriously. It's awesome. Get on it. 

• Upvote 2

Not having played that sort of game before I'm torn between buying steamworld quest now or waiting for slay the spire. Has anyone played either or both that can recommend? 

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

I'm not a Switch owner but people considering Katana Zero may like to know that I made a small thread for it here. The general consensus is that it's slightly short with the odd difficulty spike, but also a whole lot of fun. There's going to be free DLC on the way as well, although there's no real timescale for that. :) 

Personally it's the most fun I've had with a game so far this year, even with Sekiro out there... :wub: 

Sold!

2 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I’ll be getting that mad wee Pikuniku game in the sale. Looks daft.

Well worth it for that price. It doesn't quite keep it going the whole distance, but the first couple of hours in particular are great fun.

36 minutes ago, little che said:

Not having played that sort of game before I'm torn between buying steamworld quest now or waiting for slay the spire. Has anyone played either or both that can recommend? 

SWQ has a very good battle system, but it's was too repetitive for me and it's definitely a one-and-done experience. The Roguelike structure of StS obviously makes it far more replayable.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

It's a good sale, for sure though. Will consider Ape Out and Gris.

Ape Out is a perfect example of style over substance. Looks awesome, plays boring. 

Save yourself the cost. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mike S said:

Ape Out is a perfect example of style over substance. Looks awesome, plays boring. 

Save yourself the cost. 

Noted. I'll certainly look into more first. Watch a few videos perhaps. I know some people liked it.

2 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Noted. I'll certainly look into more first. Watch a few videos perhaps. I know some people liked it.

Oh yeah, it might be a marmite game but I found it really, disappointingly, dull although it looks, and sounds great. For me, There’s certainly many better ways to spend money on the switch store (you have virtua racing already of course?)...

16 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Oh yeah, it might be a marmite game but I found it really, disappointingly, dull although it looks, and sounds great. For me, There’s certainly many better ways to spend money on the switch store (you have virtua racing already of course?)...

I was waiting for VR to turn up in the UK too. I'm not in a rush, since I've got other stuff to get through first anyway. Only really grabbing anything at the moment if it's on sale.

2 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Just Shapes and Beats is awesome. There's a demo as well for those of you on the fence about it's awesomeness. 

Seriously. It's awesome. Get on it. 

Please listen to this man. Just Shapes and Beats was the most underrated game of 2018. At times it's like REZ, but funny. You heard. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, little che said:

Steamworld Quest is good, but it's comparatively standard RPG fare where the cards are the (very well-realised and fun) battle system, the characters and their decks are mostly pre-built to fit certain archetypes and most people will have a similar experience as they play through the story.

Slay the Spire really is a different beast. The balancing - of the interaction between the gradual deck building/upgrading, the relics you pick up which affect different aspects of the game, the shops which give you juust a little bit of control over your build and the random events which mix things up - is so well done that the One More Go factor is huge.You're constantly making little choices which add up, and the ramifications of your earlier choices can evolve over the run so you're constantly improvising. The more you play, the more you'll learn which cards work well together for each character, but the random element of which cards you get to choose from and which relics and events you get keep it so fresh. It feels like the developers have hit on a perfect roguelike formula.

If you're only going to get one of them, I'd wait for Slay the Spire.

• Upvote 1

Bought a few bits and pieces in the sale this morning:

Geki Yaba Runner (No idea, it was free)

Gato Roboto (which just looks brilliant)

Iconoclasts

Pikuniku

The Red Strings Club

The Mystery of Woolley Mountain

I'm away on holiday in 2 weeks so that lot should keep me quiet. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

Steamworld Quest is good, but it's comparatively standard RPG fare where the cards are the (very well-realised and fun) battle system, the characters and their decks are mostly pre-built to fit certain archetypes and most people will have a similar experience as they play through the story.

Slay the Spire really is a different beast. The balancing - of the interaction between the gradual deck building/upgrading, the relics you pick up which affect different aspects of the game, the shops which give you juust a little bit of control over your build and the random events which mix things up - is so well done that the One More Go factor is huge.You're constantly making little choices which add up, and the ramifications of your earlier choices can evolve over the run so you're constantly improvising. The more you play, the more you'll learn which cards work well together for each character, but the random element of which cards you get to choose from and which relics and events you get keep it so fresh. It feels like the developers have hit on a perfect roguelike formula.

If you're only going to get one of them, I'd wait for Slay the Spire.

Is Slay the Spire a roguelike? Do you have to start from the beginning each time you die?

Oh dear, my untouched list has grown to double digits. I'm only willing to admit I have a problem if I reflexively buy whatever E3 throws up as available right now.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is Slay the Spire a roguelike? Do you have to start from the beginning each time you die?

Yes, you restart with a preset deck of 10 cards (and a starting bonus if you made it past the first area last run) each time.

It's one of the best of 'em because there's zero downtime/boring starting areas, the meaningful decisions begin at the end of the first fight, and it's quick - my first ever victory took 80 minutes, the most recent was 30 minutes (#perfectforswitch)

• Upvote 2

Just watched the Indie World presentation for Japan. Two games stood out to me. 

Lonely Mountains: Downhill

Conduct Together

Both have been known about for a while it seems, but both passed me by. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Bought a few bits and pieces in the sale this morning:

Geki Yaba Runner (No idea, it was free)

Gato Roboto (which just looks brilliant)

Iconoclasts

Pikuniku

The Red Strings Club

The Mystery of Woolley Mountain

I'm away on holiday in 2 weeks so that lot should keep me quiet. 

Iconoclasts is excellent. Woolley Mountain is funny, logically sound but slightly rough round the edges.

Geki Yaba (you might remember it as 2 Fast 4 Gnomes) was free as you’ve already bought a game by the same publisher.

I’ll be picking up Gato Roboto myself!