rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Took a punt on Picross having never tried it before and I guess I'm addicted now. That feeling when you're staring at the board for five minutes with no breakthrough and then suddenly you see a single square that unlocks the entire puzzle for you is just beautiful.

The reveal of the art underneath does make me laugh though. Even after you see the full colour art I still have to wait for the caption to appear to tell me what the hell it's meant to be, and even then it's usually a stretch.

• Upvote 8

9 hours ago, Majora said:

The reveal of the art underneath does make me laugh though. Even after you see the full colour art I still have to wait for the caption to appear to tell me what the hell it's meant to be, and even then it's usually a stretch.

I often find squinting or deliberately not focussing your eyes on the screen makes the images look far more like what they are meant to be, especially the bigger puzzles, only so much you can do in a 5x5 box

The eShop online website is absolute shite, it's impossible to find out which titles are discounted even going to their sale search.

I only found out about Hyper Sentinel because I've got it on my watch list and I got an email notification it was discounted...

1 hour ago, gone fishin' said:

Also on cheap is Saboteur (the remake of the Spectrum game) £1.39

It's not a remake :)

9 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

Managed to get the bloody search working.

Also on cheap is Saboteur (the remake of the Spectrum game) £1.39

God I love a remake/remix of Dan Dare on the switch.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Which Dan Dare though? The Spectrum C64 and Amstrad versions were all quite different.

Spectrum!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

23 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

The eShop online website is absolute shite, it's impossible to find out which titles are discounted even going to their sale search.

I only found out about Hyper Sentinel because I've got it on my watch list and I got an email notification it was discounted...

Thanks for the heads up on this. I know someone who liked it a lot at £9.99.

So there seem to be a fair few version of Final Fantasy on the Switch.  I wasn't a fan of the random battles on 7 on the Ps1.   

What's the best Final Fantasy to play after that?   Willing to give the series another shot. 

8 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

So there seem to be a fair few version of Final Fantasy on the Switch.  I wasn't a fan of the random battles on 7 on the Ps1.   

What's the best Final Fantasy to play after that?   Willing to give the series another shot. 

If it helps, both VII and IX have a random battle toggle on the Switch so you can switch them off from time to time if they're getting in the way. It's not a good idea to do this too much though as you'll end up behind in levels. They're both great if you fancy giving that era a second shot though, although VII in particular has dated quite a bit visually.

I don't think X has this option on the Switch unfortunately, but might be worth a shot if you're after something a bit flashier. 

If you want a Final Fantasy without any random battles then XII is the only option you have on the Switch, if I'm remembering that right. I've heard nothing but great things about it, although I never got very far into it myself.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Definitely XII. It's brilliant. As @Mogster says, however, the random battles in VII and IX can be turned off. VII is a masterpiece, obviously, while IX is just very good. X has a good battle and character progression system, although the characters and voice acting is execrable. I'm not sure if there's an option to play it with Japanese voices, however, or to just turn the voices off altogether. If you could do that then it's worth it, but not as good as the other three games.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, rafaqat said:

VI is still the best one.

• Upvote 7

VII :quote:

People who think otherwise just do it to go against the grain. 

You know.... the kind of people that disagree with popular opinions just to be noticed ^_^

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Definitely XII. It's brilliant. As @Mogster says, however, the random battles in VII and IX can be turned off. VII is a masterpiece, obviously, while IX is just very good. X has a good battle and character progression system, although the characters and voice acting is execrable. I'm not sure if there's an option to play it with Japanese voices, however, or to just turn the voices off altogether. If you could do that then it's worth it, but not as good as the other three games.

Yep, VII, IX and XII are all great.  I never got on with X...XII being the newest though, means it's full screen and not bordered, looks best but is also more expensive. 

The online FF games are XI and XIV. XII is a single player only one, but it's a bit like a single player MMO. Kinda like Xenoblade. 

On 18/04/2019 at 17:05, moosegrinder said:

There's definitely a knack to them, it's not how clever you are. I know some people who are objectively smarter than I am who can't wrap their heads around the Mega Picross.

Anyway, I finished S2 about 3 weeks ago and am onto E6 on the 3ds but the 3ds UI is just clunky compared to the switch series. I'll still probably finish the bloody thing before starting s3

Whats up with the 3DS UI? What changes did they make to for the switch? Not got a switch yet, but have played the 3DS games to death. Just intrigued to know the difference.

Just now, Vorgot said:

Whats up with the 3DS UI? What changes did they make to for the switch? Not got a switch yet, but have played the 3DS games to death. Just intrigued to know the difference.

The Switch ones just feel a bit more intuitive and have a temporary marker function which is massively helpful. The larger, higher resultion screen helps too. I've just realised there's the very real possibility that you don't have to play the 3DS version with the stylus which is all I've ever done...

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

The Switch ones just feel a bit more intuitive and have a temporary marker function which is massively helpful. The larger, higher resultion screen helps too. I've just realised there's the very real possibility that you don't have to play the 3DS version with the stylus which is all I've ever done...

The temp marker seems helpful, but I'm afraid you are right, I've never used the styles for the 3DS ones. Makes it a pain. I've always used the buttons

20 hours ago, deKay said:

VI is still the best one.

My favourite one too...

Was it Sabin who basically had beat em up commands as attach options e.g. hadouken dpad commands?

I named my two pet hamsters after a couple we of characters - Mog and Uumaro (?!).