rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

Pre-ordered Toejam and Earl: Back In The Groove this morning. I had £6 worth of credit so hot it for under a tenner. I loved the original back in the day. 

11 hours ago, Azrael said:

Still haven't decided. Shortlist currently looks like:

Stardew Valley - think I'll prefer to wait for that My Time  at Portia instead though 

Hollow Knight 

Ikaruga - might be too difficult for me and feel I can't do it justice without a flipgrip 

The End is Nigh

VVVVVV

Horizon Chase Turbo - been wanting an arcade type racer recently 

Resident Evil Revelations 

Save Me Mr Tako 

The Way Remastered - don't know what it is but it's only 89p currently  

To be honest, here are only two games you should consider on that list.

If you’re into metroidvanias at all, Hollow Knight should be a nobrainer. It has charm, atmosphere, tight controls and a shitload of content.

If you’re after a more relaxed experience get Stardew Valley. It has adventure, mystery, a world you’ll fall in love with, it oozes of charm and soul and you’ll be thinking about it whenever you’re not playing it.

Article about New Star Soccer Manager in Eurogamer: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-12-new-star-manager-review-switch-reinvigorates-the-original-at-a-price

I reckon I'll take the hit and see if it's better than the IAP-ridden mobile version. I just wrote in the EG comments section:

That interview Bertie linked to is so amazing as a time capsule. Back before Simon Read sold out and loaded the game with IAPs (apparently at the behest of the publisher that bought NSS on mobile), which pissed pretty much everyone off to the point where they stopped playing. Simon then got back his independence... but was it REALLY his old publisher's fault that they broke that game when Simon then launched NSM last year as an IAP-fest from day one? I'm not surprised it didn't do very well among his fans.

But now I've been hearing some good things about the Switch version. It's not a stampede of views, to be sure (as I think people are being cautious before buying at £15), but a decent comment on rllmuk here and a 'this is crazy-addictive' remark on ResetEra there. I probably will buy it, to try to help show Simon and his studio that making well designed games without IAP bloat is the way forward.

17 hours ago, Azrael said:

The Way Remastered - don't know what it is but it's only 89p currently  

Very old-skool; like Wiper said, Flashback-like, with some of that era's curses - insta-death, pixel-perfect platforming and the like.

Well worth 89p of anyone's money. Just for the intro section - gorgeous 16-bit art telling an intriguing story (the voice-over isn't great).

4 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Article about New Star Soccer Manager in Eurogamer: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-12-new-star-manager-review-switch-reinvigorates-the-original-at-a-price

I reckon I'll take the hit and see if it's better than the IAP-ridden mobile version. I just wrote in the EG comments section:

The comments felt like a little rllmuk away trip with the amount of us in there. There was even a guy with stan's avatar although it most likely wasn't stan.

Anyway. Looking forward to hearing what you and anybody else here who gets it think. I'm feeling like the original mobile game was so well-suited to that format and I'm not sure I really use the Switch (or PC) in that way so I'm kinda torn.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, milko said:

The comments felt like a little rllmuk away trip with the amount of us in there.

Haha, I noticed that too. Yes, poor old Siread made a powerful enemy when he crossed RLLMUK. We will dog him to the end of his days with mildly reproving comments below reviews of his software!

Dammit, Metroid has been given another SP edition in the NES app today along with one for Blaster Master which again amounts to someone else’s save file. I wish there was a way to remove these things from the menu.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, DC Lemon said:

Dammit, Metroid has been given another SP edition in the NES app today along with one for Blaster Master which again amounts to someone else’s save file. I wish there was a way to remove these things from the menu.

This one feels like it's an attempt to let anyone experience the ending. You're loaded to the point that it's just the jumping challenge post-Mother Brain that's left.

The eurogamer article got me interested in New Star Manager - I wouldn’t touch the iphone version with a barge pole and have been pretty vocal here about my disdain for what he did to the earlier soccer game.

I watched a couple of YouTube reviews and put my money down earlier tonight.

Its really good - the in match stuff adds lots of layers to the little sequences which take a few games to get used to but they flow really nicely. The management side feels quite light but that is fine by me.

Only played 10 games but really enjoying it so far, the IAP rubbish seems to have been stripped out and retrofitted with the game giving you cards at a fair clip - only extended play will reveal how well balanced this is, but the game has no in game shop to buy stuff with real money (yet?) so all feels quite fair.

Cautious thumbs up.

• Upvote 2

New Star Manager - its proper giving me the feels of my much missed and beloved New Star Soccer before it got broken, that pull to just play another game, smacking in goals, the in game sections are really good and greatly beefed up from the old days with dribbling, passing into space and off the ball runs.

The management side feels a little less slick to control and may be better suited to touch than controller, but its nothing a few rounds of matches won't get things understood - its not all explained that well from the outset though.

I started a thread about games I buy and never play - chief among them being football manager - this may be the footie manager game that I finally bond with, I even searched for players and signed a couple last night, which is usually where I give up on the big FM games.

Its still only a cautious thumbs up, but it is only £15.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, deKay said:

Membrane for 89p is a must though.

I got this last time it was cheap and gave it short shrift for that reason. Turns out it's really good. Although the hidden things can do one.

6 minutes ago, carleton said:

I got this last time it was cheap and gave it short shrift for that reason. Turns out it's really good. Although the hidden things can do one.

I don't have them all but I think I know where most are. It's just getting them that's an issue...

I'm halfway thru my first season in New Star Manager and still loving it, its so immediate to play and perfect for those quick Switch on/off bitesized moments of gaming. 

I've started to build up some money and get to grips with the management menus & systems, its a tight balancing act at all times rotating players to keep up their energy and choose the matches to rest them up. The highlight though are the in game events, its really been beefed up since I abandoned New Star Soccer and you get some really cool passages of play that can be quite tense in a close match.

I love the media pressure moments where you get asked about your club staff names or players - really puts you on the spot and you get a couple of bonus cards for being successful.

It's a little buggy so had to restart the software a couple of times when I lost the ability to make subs, or music started playing all the time, but minor issues.

I can see this being my go to on the switch for months, its a bargain at £15.

• Upvote 3

I have to agree with that @Gotters. I've just completed the second season, after winning promotion in the first season.

As you say, trying to balance player happiness and money is tough at times. First thing I improved was the stadium, otherwise some players were barely lasting more than 60 minutes!

The second season started off tough, and at one point it seemed that we were fighting relegation. I'm not sure what happened, but we put together a 20 game unbeaten run to scrap into the play offs. Smashed Tranmere in the play-off final to secure back to back promotions. I hate that I'm going to have to start letting some of the cult heroes go, I'm sure the fans will be unhappy and that will be another thing to try and juggle!

Anyone sat on the fence, go for it!

• Upvote 1

New Star Manager starts to get to you when things fall apart - my glorious first season promo push is falling apart with 3 straight defeats in the league and an unhappy group of players - I've mostly ignored their happiness to focus on energy and may have gone a bit first season Klopp at Liverpool and worn them all out - I won't post a running commentary of my season but @unleashedmaniac maniac said if you're on the fence (a few people seemed to be) then give New Star another chance - I vowed never again (and won't on my phone for free) but am so glad I went back.

Now I hope they don't fuck it up and having taken my £15 introduce IAPs and an in store shop in a future release - if they do I'm done with it.

I sold Mario tennis yesterday with the intention of buying new star and wargroove with the proceeds, so I'm very glad to see the positive reviews above.  Looks like its new star day.